Barnstorming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstorming

How small of an oval track is acceptable for an Indy car? The reason I pose this question is I had an idea pop in my head and on the surface it seems plausible. What if each season IICS were to hold a race at an existing oval track rotating the location from year to year to a different track in parts of the country that don't normally host major motor sport races? Why? To build a a larger fan base by taking the product to where race fans are. Yeah, I'm sure there are cost issues that loom heavily that would prevent such a concept, but think about how cool it would be for a track like Oswego Speedway or similar facilities to host Indy cars, even for non points trophy race.
    God speed!

That sounds really, really fun. Only problem is safety at the tracks, which probably weren't meant to handle cars that fast.

Comment

If you start off with the idea a track will only host an Indycar race for one year, then we all won't be disappointed when start changing the date of the race, and they leave for good in five years.

This idea is way too much common sense for a big time series trying to grow a fan base. Leave it to the World of Outlaws, or the Modified Touring Series, or USAC Indiana Sprint Week.

Comment

I think AIS ran tracks as small as 1/3-mile, didn't they?
        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

They may have. However, AIS was a hobby series with a handful of cars and no spectators.
          "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            AIS was a hobby series with small fields and no spectators.
            But Indy cars on dinky tracks nonetheless, meaning the closest thing to what the OP is proposing for reference.

Not that I think it's a good idea, mind you. I think Richmond was about the lower limit. Indy cars at a place like Martinsville would be boring and at a place like Bristol would probably be expensive and disproportunately injurious.
            "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
              I think AIS ran tracks as small as 1/3-mile, didn't they?
              Saw them run on the half-mile in Birmingham. The cars with NA engines did OK. The turbos struggled; after each corner, about the time they got the turbos spooled back up, it was time to brake for the next corner.

Comment

Aren't street races the IndyCar version of barnstorming? Put a race on in the middle of a large city in hopes of attracting new fans?
                Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

I've often wondered why some "barnstorming" at some of the smaller tracks wasn't being done by Indy Lights. It seems like they have a series that's suppose to serve as a training ground and then they become obsessed with restricting he amount of time a driver can be in the car. Indy Lights should be racing somewhere almost every weekend.

Comment

Richmond was really fun to attend but honestly I think even that track was too small.

I think if you go too small you cheapen the product.

The barnstorming idea probably wouldnt work but I cannot recall the last time I saw an Indy showcar at any short track anywhere in the US.

And Ive been to alotta short tracks
                    Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Buck'n'eer View Post
                      I've often wondered why some "barnstorming" at some of the smaller tracks wasn't being done by Indy Lights. It seems like they have a series that's suppose to serve as a training ground and then they become obsessed with restricting he amount of time a driver can be in the car. Indy Lights should be racing somewhere almost every weekend.
                      Costs of renting a track, I would think. Who would be willing to pay that series any sanction fee that'll cover all expenses for the series to run without serving as support to a big raceing series? They should, however, indeed race more weekends than they do now.

IndyCars racing at IRP would be awesome. I'm sure the stands will be filled easily.
                      MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                        . . . . disproportunately injurious.
                        Hey, watch your language (I think I sprained my tongue on that).

Anyway, on topic, Irwindale's just sitting there waiting for an invitation. They'd probably sell out, unlike their neighbor to the east. And, also unlike the same neighbor, Irwindale is owned by folks who appreciate race fans.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                          Richmond was really fun to attend but honestly I think even that track was too small.
                          It was, but Richmond was also very wide, and most short tracks are not. Nazareth wasn't, made passing difficult. Iowa is the smallest they should run.
                          "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Maybe they'll invent temporary Safer barriers.

Comment

I think you guys are forgetting that the vast majority of these tracks lack pit lanes that can be used for "hot" pit stops.

Also, I don't know how many fans you'll attract - even if you sell out most of these tracks only have 10,000 or fewer seats if they're packed to the gills - guaranteeing a big money-loser.

I don't see the point in hauling out to the middle of nowhere to run a 45 minute race where nobody can pass in front of not that many people.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X