Thanks Bob Jenkins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Bob Jenkins!

In discussing how the Izod IndyCar Series continues to have close championships year in and year out without a "chase".

"Other series manufacture a championship at the end, but not the Izod IndyCar Series".

Yep I caught that to, I thought it was a very good and truthful crack at NASCAR
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Depending on the points structure any series could have a close championship. It's not as if Indycar has deep fields with many capable teams. They have about two and a half strong teams, and two of the teams dominate.

Not saying I like the chase, I don't. But Nascar would be closer as well after 16-17 races then they would be after 36. And with a much bigger percentage gap for winning versus second versus third, as Indycars do, they too probably would still have a title in doubt if they stopped at the half season point.
      Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

No doubt. Bob and the crew need to do more of that.
        "We need to blow up IRL. It needs to be (known as) IndyCar. To the purist, (IRL) is a negative acronym. We need to get away from using it." --- Mr. Randy Bernard.

Comment

I was laughing when Bob said that. Because it's the truth. I used to be a NASCAR fan, but I kept losing interest in it over things they were doing, the Chase, the common template, the Top 35 qualifying rule, and even the car of tomorrow. I am glad I am an IRL fan.
          Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
            Yep I caught that to, I thought it was a very good and truthful crack at NASCAR
            Maybe to a point. But remember Jenkins owes most of his career to the growth of NASCAR; some would even say that he, Ned, and Benny were part of the reason that it grew so popular. And it really doesn't matter whether a championship is close or not. Gimmicks like the Chase are pretty much a joke. By the same token if someone is truly dominant and the series championship is clinched with several races to go that's OK, too. They earned it and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
              I was laughing when Bob said that. Because it's the truth. I used to be a NASCAR fan, but I kept losing interest in it over things they were doing, the Chase, the common template, the Top 35 qualifying rule, and even the car of tomorrow. I am glad I am an IRL fan.
              Glad to have you as a IndyCar fan. It's the right thing to do.

Comment

I smiled when Bob said that too. Also thanks to Bob for mentioning other back to back champions in open wheel history, and that where Helio ranks on the real all-time list.

I hate the Chase. Kevin Harvick has kicked ass this year, and now he's behind.
                "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Threewide View Post
                  Glad to have you as a IndyCar fan. It's the right thing to do.
                  And a tasty way to do it

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
                    But remember Jenkins owes most of his career to the growth of NASCAR; some would even say that he, Ned, and Benny were part of the reason that it grew so popular.
                    I think Bob knows that NASCAR kept him comfortably employed for 20 years. Argueably, 20 of NASCAR's best seasons. But at the same time, he hasn't used that as a reason to be a lifelong, brain-dead, mind-numbed, act-like-a-fool-on-TV shill for NASCAR either. He knows a spade when he sees one, and he's not afraid to speak his mind about it.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                      I think Bob knows that NASCAR kept him comfortably employed for 20 years. Argueably, 20 of NASCAR's best seasons. But at the same time, he hasn't used that as a reason to be a lifelong, brain-dead, mind-numbed, act-like-a-fool-on-TV shill for NASCAR either. He knows a spade when he sees one, and he's not afraid to speak his mind about it.
                      Well spoken Doctor. I think back to Bob, Ned and Benny and remember how I felt like they were "my boys" back in the day watching the Cup races. The current group -- Fox/Speed -- being the worst are not my boys, not even close. Rock On Bob Jenkins.
                      "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Not defending NASCAR, because again I hate the Chase, but they have twice the races as IndyCar, which is going to be tougher to have a tighter points battle. That said, this is a spec series and you aren't going to get huge separation as a result (not that NASCAR isn't a spec either, it is). So I know many of the Pruett/Kirby types hate spec racing, but the fact is the competition is better with it. 2012 will improve it I think, making it more in line with F1, where you have a spec and several mix/match options like diffusers for instance.
                        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Whoever's 12th in Indycar points hasn't had a prayer since ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by lkchris View Post
                            Whoever's 12th in Indycar points hasn't had a prayer since ... ?
                            If you're in 12th, tell why you should be considered for a championship. You're obviously only the 12th best.
                            www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
                              OT, but my son is a big fan of yours.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X