Indy is tougher to win than F1 - J. Herbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy is tougher to win than F1 - J. Herbert

It's not a direct quote, but a summary editorially attributed to Johnny Herbert:
    Herbert, who has won in many disciplines and has a Grand Prix victory on his resume, believes after having tested on the oval that it might take more to win the Indy 500 than it does to take the top spot in a Formula 1 event.

"The concentration required for driving on an oval is, in some respects, more demanding because the races are longer and the speeds are so much higher," Herbert said. "It's made more difficult because you are passing a lot of cars consistently through the race. From my experience in testing, I've no worries about the proximity of the walls, but I haven't hit one yet. Maybe then I'll change my mind!"
    Is it tougher to win Indy than Monoco?

Link to Speedvision article
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Well, to win Monaco all you need is one really fast, white-knuckle lap to put you on the front row, and then you have to make it to Ste. Devoe (sp?) first. Indy requires 4 white-knuckle laps at over 220 MPH just to make the race.

I'll sit back now and wait for one or all of the "usual suspects" to tell me why the above statement is incorrect and outrageous.
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed:
      <STRONG>It's not a direct quote, but a summary editorially attributed to Johnny Herbert:

Is it tougher to win Indy than Monoco?

Link to Speedvision article</STRONG>
      You did hear Herbert say "in some respects". Anyway, he has never ran in a 500 oval race before, so he must be assuming.

I'm not sure you can say the 500 is tougher to win by his statements, and that is your inferance per your subject header.
      Brian W Keske
      bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
      -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan:
        <STRONG>Well, to win Monaco all you need is one really fast, white-knuckle lap to put you on the front row, and then you have to make it to Ste. Devoe (sp?) first. Indy requires 4 white-knuckle laps at over 220 MPH just to make the race.

I'll sit back now and wait for one or all of the "usual suspects" to tell me why the above statement is incorrect and outrageous. </STRONG>

Ask Juan Pablo Montoya, he ran both in the span of a year. Let's see, he crashed out in Monaco and won the 500.
        Ask double World Champion Mikka Hakkinen who never won there.
        Ask Jacques Villeneuve who also never won there.

The problem with winning at Monaco is that not only do you have to fight the track, but you also have to contend with 23 other drivers that are pretty good!

Oh and the winner hasen't sat on pole since 1998.

Comment

hey I've watched monaco. and indy.
          and at monaco you get the lead you don't even have to be fastest to keep it.

not so at indy.. not even close.

herberts right. it is harder to win indy.
          think about it.

I 'm talking from a drivers point of view.
          It's a brand new day.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofan:
            <STRONG>herberts right. it is harder to win indy.
            think about it. </STRONG>
            That isn't what he said though.
            Brian W Keske
            bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
            -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by bkeske:
              <STRONG>That isn't what he said though.</STRONG>
              You are correct, sir. I think what Johnny was talking about was much more general than two specific races. He was referring to road racing vs. oval racing in general. To translate this to Monaco vs. Indy is, IMO, a logical jump that just doesn't hold water, since there are so many other factors involved.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: sf-indy-fan ]
              "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

I don't know which is more difficult to win but I know which one I'd rather win.

Comment

<STRONG>I'm not sure you can say the 500 is tougher to win by his statements, and that is your inferance per your subject header.</STRONG>
                  Exactly why I phrased it the way I did, bkeske. The idea was attributed to Herbert by Eric Mauk. Whether you believe Mauk misrepresented Herbert's comments which were not directly quoted is entirely up to you.
                  "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed:
                    <STRONG>Exactly why I phrased it the way I did, bkeske. The idea was attributed to Herbert by Eric Mauk. Whether you believe Mauk misrepresented Herbert's comments which were not directly quoted is entirely up to you.</STRONG>
                    Well, Mauk's editorial of what Herbert said sure did influence folks (here) 'take'on what he actually said. Yes, I believe it was a misrepresentation.

....but the "-J. Herbert" had me a bit confused rev.
                    Brian W Keske
                    bwkdesign.wordpress.com

-- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Guy:
                      <STRONG>I don't know which is more difficult to win but I know which one I'd rather win.</STRONG>
                      Seeing as how the women in Monaco are better looking than the women in Speedway I'd chose the Monagasque win.

Comment

<STRONG>

Well, Mauk's editorial of what Herbert said sure did influence folks (here) 'take'on what he actually said. Yes, I believe it was a misrepresentation.

....but the "-J. Herbert" had me a bit confused rev.</STRONG>
                        It wouldn't be the first time a journalist misrepresented what an interviewee said. But it's out of character for Mauk to give Indy much credit, so I can go either way on that question. The thread title gives Mauk the benefit of the doubt -- notice I used no quotation marks. . .

Sorry if I threw you a splitter. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Parsons W. Newbury:
                          <STRONG>

Seeing as how the women in Monaco are better looking than the women in Speedway I'd chose the Monagasque win.</STRONG>
                          Now, now. This isn't the case if you like your "women a little on the trashy side," like me.

Comment

The women in Monaco are "High Maintenance" The women in Speedway are REAL race fans
                            SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                            " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I don't want to maintain them - just drive 'em a while.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X