Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - how about that Shaq??

....is this ridiculous or what?!

>>>In one of the most violent and stunning games of the NBA season, the lowly Chicago Bulls shocked the Lakers 106-104 in overtime Saturday night after O'Neal was ejected for throwing two punches at Bulls center Brad Miller. The Bulls, with the NBA's worst record (7-29), dealt the Lakers their most inexcusable -- and costliest -- loss of the season.

O'Neal flew into an uncontrollable rage when he was fouled hard late in the fourth quarter, throwing two roundhouse rights -- the second of which connected as Miller had his back turned.With the Lakers leading 87-84 with 2:44 left, O'Neal was clobbered by Charles Oakley and Miller as he received the ball in the low post. O'Neal immediately turned and went after Miller, throwing a roundhouse right that missed and a second that connected.

O'Neal jumped on Miller in a huge pileup along the baseline, with Oakley trying to pry O'Neal off.

"That was quite a calamity out there," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

"Shaq has great control," Jackson said. "I'm surprised he doesn't do this more often the way he gets attacked every night."
    <<<

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: indyracefan ]
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

"I'm surprised he doesn't do this more often...." Great , a Coach making excuses for a highly paid Adult to act like a teen age thug .

Maybe the coach should take a page from Hockey , assign a "bodyguard" to Mr.Sensative to make sure nobody roughs him up . Either that or hire a goon to take out the other team's guy first.

Jeez , gimme a break .

And yes , I did agree with "He's admitted he was wrong and has changed" in the Spreewell thread . And if Shaq does the same , I'll feel the same way . My comments are aimed at the Coach . This is like the Cleveland owners excusing the crowd for throwing bottles at the Refs .

You don't ( at least my Dad didn't , and I raised my kids the same way )teach a child to behave by excusing his bad behavior ( "It was wrong , but it was the other guy's fault for making you mad" ) .

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: jandj ]
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Sports is a game on mind control special'y Auto racing.
      aXe
      Born Again Race Fan seen at
      www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Shaquille and Charles Oakley both getting ejected made since. I don't see the logic in ejecting Brad Miller also - all Brad did was get attacked and couldn't do much about it after that.

Phil Jackson is just that kind of guy. Comments like that from him don't surprise me. And if Shaq could shoot free throws better than Juan Montoya's grandma, he wouldn't get fouled hard every time he gets the ball. Tim Duncan and Chris Webber don't get hit like that because they hit their free throws.

I know a blind man who can hit about 60% of his free throws with a beeper on the front of the rim. Shaq can see the rim and he can barely hit half.

-StatMan
        Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Having a man the size of King Kong would help any team.

I'm glad to see the Bulls humble the Lakers for a change.
          www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Shaq did get hammered pretty good, but needs to keep his cool. He gets paid a lot of money to get fouled, and has not lost any limbs yet.

They claim he gets fouled every play, but when you see him get the ball, and back down in the post, he looks like he is committing an offensive foul half the time.

The average American male stands 5'9" tall. The NBA today is a game made up of genetic freaks.

I say widen the three second area under the hoop, and raise the basket to 12 feet. Bring back the skill of shooting the ball.

At the rate we are going, 20 years from now the average NBA player will be 8 feet tall and dunk without even getting on their tippy toes.

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan:
              <STRONG>And if Shaq could shoot free throws better than Juan Montoya's grandma, he wouldn't get fouled hard every time he gets the ball. Tim Duncan and Chris Webber don't get hit like that because they hit their free throws.
              </STRONG>
              Shaq gets hacked because it is the only way he can be defended.
              duncan and Weber don't get hacked all the time because they aren't the Most dominant players in NBA history.

Within the next year or two the NBA will change the rules to keep teams from using the "Hack a shaq" game plan. Teams should not be able to use no-talent goons, for no other reason than to foul somebody every play(that's what Hockey is for).

I'll bet the ref's start calling a lot more intentional fouls on players from now on. The NBA knows who the biggest star in the league is.
              "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
              Vice President, Marketing
              IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

To answer my own earlier question, Brad Miller was ejected even before the fight broke out. He recieved a Flagrant II (automatic ejection + free throws and possession). The fact that Miller got a Flagrant II for his foul means that refs were not letting him get away with hammering Shaq.

IndyJim, your are correct. Everyone else gets away with hammering O'Neal, but he also gets away with a lot of offensive fouls. At times, he uses his superior strength to back in on weaker opponents. Fine. Other times, he runs them over like a freight train crushing a car, and often adds an elbow to the chest for good measure.

The fact that the average adult male is 5'9 makes me appreciate guys like Mugsey Bogues (could dunk at 5'4' - now that's simply amazing) and Avery Johnson (gets little recognition despite being 3rd in the league in assist-turnover ratio. I wish he'd have stayed with the Spurs). Nothing against guys like Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Robinson, Webber, Garnett, ect, but the fact that the average NBA player is a foot taller than the average guy on the street hints that height has a bit too much to do with it. 7-footers Rik Smits, Luc Longely, and Arvydas Sabonis, despite their outside shooting %age, would not have made it in the NBA if they were even just half a foot shorter.

CamKing, Shaq was the games most dominant player the last couple of years. He isn't this year, mainly because he isn't controlling his weight. After weighing in at 315 or so for several years, he is up past 340 this year. This is also the likely cause of his constant sore feet. Dominant? Definitely! Most dominant? Not quite, right now.

To say that no one can guard Shaq is a disservice to centers such as Dikembe Mutombo, David Robinson, and Alonzo Mourning (when he's heathly). The thing is that none of those guys have the offensive weaponary to match Shaq. The only guys that can score consistently on him are power forwards like Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki that often play center when the starting center gets a rest. But neither of those guys can guard him effectively, although both are above average defenders. That's why he is a dominating player. There isn't anyone that can both guard him and score on him consistently.

Neither Iverson nor Shaq is having a year as good as their past two MVP seasons. If things keep going the way they are, the award will have to go to Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, or Jason Kidd.

-StatMan

P.S. If Shaq's first punch had connected, Brad Miller's career would be over. Remember Washington vs Tomjanovich?

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: StatMan ]

Comment

I didn't like Brad Miller when he was at P.U. --Go IU
                  Is it May yet?
                  Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan:
                    <STRONG>
                    CamKing, Shaq was the games most dominant player the last couple of years. He isn't this year, mainly because he isn't controlling his weight. After weighing in at 315 or so for several years, he is up past 340 this year. This is also the likely cause of his constant sore feet. Dominant? Definitely! Most dominant? Not quite, right now.
                    </STRONG>
                    I didn't say he's the most dominant right now. I said Shaq is the most dominant player in the history of the NBA.

BTW, I also think his weight is his biggest problem right now.
                    "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                    Vice President, Marketing
                    IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

http://www.sportsline.com/b/page/pre...836938,00.html

What most amazes me about Shaq is that he isn't just a big enormous blob with little talent other than height and width. He's quicker than you'd expect for a man of his size, and quicker than many smaller centers and forwards in the NBA. Of course, he travels on some of his moves. On second thought, so does everyone else in the league.

-StatMan

Comment

kind of like shooting a man in the back isn't it. This from the biggest human being in the league, and the coach is amazed he doesn't do it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing:
                          <STRONG>The NBA knows who the biggest star in the league is.</STRONG>
                          Yeah , but he's playing in Washington !
                          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

So you know Brad Miller was called for the flagrant foul and ejected, Charles Oakley was ejected for joining the fight and Shaq was kicked for being a big dope and missing a 7 foot guy with his back turned with a wild swing. Suspensions Miller 1g, Oakley 2g and Shaq 3g. Fines all around.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Z28:
                              <STRONG>Suspensions Miller 1g, Oakley 2g and Shaq 3g. Fines all around.</STRONG>

....translation; 'slap on the wrist'.
                              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X