scanner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scanner questions

I'm looking at the BC72xlt by uniden and the closeout scanner radio shack has the Pro-84. Are they the same scanner just one rebadged?

Jason
    I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Most, if not all, of Radio Shack's are Uniden products. I believe the Pro84 and BC72xlt are the same unit.

The Pro84 is an ok race scanner. I have one that I use often. Biggest problem is it's not a very sensitive scanner (better antenna helps some), Ok for race use where transmitters are close and you have good line-of-sight. The headphones are marginal, poor noise isolation.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

People, if you've got the "nut", do yourselves a BIG favor and get a scanner along the lines of the Bearcat SC230 that offers DCS/CTCSS decode. These are basically the same thing as the "privacy" codes on FRS "TalkAbout" radios and will TOTALLY eliminate interference from Indy businesses that use the same business band frequencies as the race teams. No more taxi dispatchers, no more school bus drivers, no more caterers, no more plumbing companies,... nada. Previously such interference was handled by using a "stubby" antenna, but that can also block out cars on the far side of the track from you if you're at ground level on occasion. I bought the SC230 two years ago, and it rocks!!! With DCS/CTCSS you can use the full size antenna to pull in the strongest signals from the teams as possible.

I'm sure that there are other units out there that offer such decoding, but make sure that any unit offers both DCS and CTCSS. Some offer one, but not the other. CTCSS is the exact same thing as "privacy codes"... it superimposes a sub-audible frequency on the signal, but DCS is different. DCS uses a digital code with the radio signal. Teams at Indy will use a combination of DCS as well as CTCSS.

Comment

Shameless self promotion

http://www.custompartsplus.com/page/page/2292805.htm
        "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
        Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
        www.fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmologist
          People, if you've got the "nut", do yourselves a BIG favor and get a scanner along the lines of the Bearcat SC230 that offers DCS/CTCSS decode. These are basically the same thing as the "privacy" codes on FRS "TalkAbout" radios and will TOTALLY eliminate interference from Indy businesses that use the same business band frequencies as the race teams. No more taxi dispatchers, no more school bus drivers, no more caterers, no more plumbing companies,... nada. Previously such interference was handled by using a "stubby" antenna, but that can also block out cars on the far side of the track from you if you're at ground level on occasion. I bought the SC230 two years ago, and it rocks!!! With DCS/CTCSS you can use the full size antenna to pull in the strongest signals from the teams as possible.

I'm sure that there are other units out there that offer such decoding, but make sure that any unit offers both DCS and CTCSS. Some offer one, but not the other. CTCSS is the exact same thing as "privacy codes"... it superimposes a sub-audible frequency on the signal, but DCS is different. DCS uses a digital code with the radio signal. Teams at Indy will use a combination of DCS as well as CTCSS.
          ..learn something new everyday!! TY

Comment

What do you guys recommend if you just want to pick up the IMS Radio broadcasts, do local stations pick it up?
            Grab Bag Sports - Sports News & Analysis Guaranteed to raise your IQ or your money back!

Comment

Originally posted by SandWedge
              What do you guys recommend if you just want to pick up the IMS Radio broadcasts, do local stations pick it up?
              A good quality AM/FM headset is fine as local radio does carry the race. You can pick up the broadcast on your scanner as well though. I love to listen to drivers obviously, but you can listen to race control, safety, TV, radio.............fun, fun, fun.
              "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
              Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
              www.fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmologist

Will this type of a radio unscramble AGR/Penske?
                "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Comment

Race communications cannot be scrambled.

Comment

I am currently using a 15 year old scanner and I think that I am going to upgrade this year. I am glad that this topic is up b/c I have a few questions... What model do the teams use? I read somewhere that there was a VERY nice Blaupunkt model on the market, but I have been unable to get any info on it. Is that what Penske uses? If cost were not an constraint, what unit would you buy? Thanks.

Comment

I believe that would be The Blaupunkt CMF-99950

Comment

Excellent recommendation.

Comment

where would you buy this??? I am guessing not Best Buy.

Comment

Originally posted by rrrr
                            Race communications cannot be scrambled.
                            They scramble during practice/quals.
                            "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Comment

Originally posted by diftw
                              They scramble during practice/quals.
                              Which is why I specified race communications.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X