Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh the Irony! 2008 Pace Car

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh the Irony! 2008 Pace Car

    Follow the link below to view a photo at Indy500.com. Is it me, or are the words "Indianapolis 500" printed on top of a GIANT ORANGE??

    2008 Pace Car Photo

    Did they intend for this to happen? Pretty funny, really.
    Paul Woods
    IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

  • #2
    At least it isn't a lemon............

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a reach.

      Comment


      • #4
        Has Emmo lost weight or is his nose just getting bigger?

        Comment


        • #5
          I've been trying to ignore the fact that this year's logo is very plain. I don't like it at all. It looks like something a fifth grader came up with in an art design contest. Now my vent is over. I understand that the logo means little to nothing. And yes......Emmo's nose does appear larger.

          Comment


          • #6
            Orange Juice or not, I've always been such a huge fan of Emmo that it's great to see him in that car.
            I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

            Comment


            • #7
              I really thought that the new Camaro would be the pace car. Is there a contract between the speedway and Chevrolet to have a Corvette as the pace car every year?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by flyingpylon
                Follow the link below to view a photo at Indy500.com. Is it me, or are the words "Indianapolis 500" printed on top of a GIANT ORANGE??

                Did they intend for this to happen? Pretty funny, really.
                That logo isn't just for the pace car, it has been the official '08 500 event logo for about a year now, far before the pace car driver was chosen. There's a round shape in there that happens to be orange, I guess.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RoadRunner500
                  I really thought that the new Camaro would be the pace car. Is there a contract between the speedway and Chevrolet to have a Corvette as the pace car every year?
                  A contract for the Corvette? No...but from an "official vehicle" standpoint (and not an on-track one), Chevrolet has a absolutely great relationship with IMS, and Chevrolet always wants to showcase their best car at the 500...and that just happens to be the 'Vette.

                  I thought that they MIGHT choose the Camaro in '08 too, or that the new ZR-1 might be ready in time for '08, but no dice. The Camaro is cool, but the truth is that it's not Chevy's flagship like the Corvette is, and it doesn't have the pure performance/high-tech vibe that the Corvette does (more of a retro/performance vibe), so they don't think it's the right choice for the pace car.

                  The ZR-1 has already been at the big auto shows (Detroit, Chicago, etc.), but I guess next May might be a better time to capitalize on the ZR-1 actually being in showrooms (if you've got $100k to blow). It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the ZR-1 leading the field around next May.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Was the Dodge Stealth the last non GM car to serve as a pace car at Indy?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SpeedwayRyan
                      That logo isn't just for the pace car, it has been the official '08 500 event logo for about a year now, far before the pace car driver was chosen. There's a round shape in there that happens to be orange, I guess.
                      I realize that, I just thought it was funny the way things turned out. I mean, how many times has the logo included a large orange circle? In a year when the pace car driver is a former winner who drank orange juice in victory lane?
                      Paul Woods
                      IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SpeedwayRyan

                        The ZR-1 has already been at the big auto shows (Detroit, Chicago, etc.), but I guess next May might be a better time to capitalize on the ZR-1 actually being in showrooms (if you've got $100k to blow). It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the ZR-1 leading the field around next May.
                        If I had $100K to blow, I would buy the Pontiac G8 and put the remaining $70K in the bank.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Emmo: Ees fantasteek!
                          "Indycars should be beasts." - Gil de Ferran
                          @bigmo500

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Roadster Fan
                            Has Emmo lost weight or is his nose just getting bigger?
                            As we get older our noses and ears get bigger.

                            Honest!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CARTer
                              Orange Juice or not, I've always been such a huge fan of Emmo that it's great to see him in that car.
                              I bet he makes a joke or two about it this May.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X