Wing and Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing and Wheel

When did the Indianapolis Motor Speedway start using the wing and wheel logo? Just curious.

I don't know but I always called it "the flyin' tire".

Because that's the way we do it in Indiana.
    Told my kids to sprinkle my ashes where the the 1st turn tree used to be. They said I'm weird.

"Their average was 225? I've never been 225 mph in my life " Johnson said.
    "It's the fastest place on earth" Simon Pagenaud"

Comment

This subject comes up around here everyone once in a while. I think last time it was discussed, someone showed a picture from the very beginning, perhaps as early as 1910, that showed the Wheel and Wing logo.
      --Paul Dalbey
      (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

On page 11 of INDY: Racing Before The 500 by D. Bruce Scott, there is a picture of a flyer advertising the August 1909 races at IMS which includes the Wing and Wheel logo. It does indeed go back to the very beginning. It was meant to symbolize aviation and automobiles, which were both very much a part of the early days of the Speedway.
        "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

Originally posted by indysteve
          On page 11 of INDY: Racing Before The 500 by D. Bruce Scott, there is a picture of a flyer advertising the August 1909 races at IMS which includes the Wing and Wheel logo. It does indeed go back to the very beginning. It was meant to symbolize aviation and automobiles, which were both very much a part of the early days of the Speedway.
          Now that is cool!!!!
          "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

When did the Ohio Hiway Patrol adopt it has been my question?
            Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by fivehundred2go
              When did the Ohio Hiway Patrol adopt it has been my question?
              History of the Flying Wheel Logo

As the Ohio State Highway Patrol was being established in 1933, the responsibility for badge design fell into the hands of Harry Neal, who in turn assigned the task to Mr. Joseph Goldberg, an engineer in Neal's Safety Department. The badge design was partially inspired by a study of others, but the "Flying Wheel" was originally Goldberg's idea. Though he had difficulty selling the flying wheel to Neal (who jokingly asked if they were duck, chicken, or eagle wings), Goldberg had created our symbol.

The Flying Wheel, which is a federally registered trademark, is now one of the most distinguishable images of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
              http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/merch.htm

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

So when did Detroit's hockey team decide to steal it?

Comment

Originally posted by indysteve
                  biting tongue.
                  Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut
                    biting tongue.

Didn't think my post was all that controversial.
                    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                      So when did Detroit's hockey team decide to steal it?
                      The Red Wings logo made it's appearance in 1932 when James Norris bought the team. He had been a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, which began as a cycling club in the late 1800's. He adapted it's winged wheel logo for his hockey team.

Personally, I find it ironic that the team from the city that calls itself "Hockeytown" got it's logo from the real Hockeytown.

Ain't it amazin' what you can find on the intardweb?
                      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X