Camping at The Glen???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping at The Glen???

I'm looking for recommendations on the best place to tent camp at Watkins Glen. The missis and I will be getting paddock / garage passes and would like to find a campsite trackside to watch the weekend action unfold. We will both be rookies to the Glen so any advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM.

If you want to sleep don't camp in the boot area, worth a visit but it loud late there. There is fairly flat real estate along the NASCAR straight that by passes the boot and where the boot reenters the short course. It is also flat along the back straight before the chicain. On there map sections b,c,d,e should have some good spots. Sec f, by the loop, flat sites will be hard to come by. What they list inthe boot area, you have some flat sites right by the road, then it's a steep slope to the track ( great spectating area ). Sec a, I'm fuzzy about, it's been a few years. Sec g might be ok if they replaced the bathroom in the last couple of years but if they still let the fans in the boot vent till the realy hours you will hear them.

Comment

Watkins Glen

On the web site are maps with the locations as mentioned above. I've never camped there as I live 17 miles away, but after attending the last 2 IRL events, I don't think any of the camping areas were filled.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I'll probably call the ticket office and armed with the info you've provided try to reserve something decent. Sounds like level and quiet are the two primary concerns.

Comment

We camped in Watkins Glen State Park for the first race. It worked out great.
          Ian Faith: The Boston gig has been cancelled...
          David St. Hubbins: What?
          Ian Faith: Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

Comment

There is also another park a bit further away between the Village of Watkins Glen and Ithaca. I believe it is Federal land...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk
              Thanks for the pointers. I'll probably call the ticket office and armed with the info you've provided try to reserve something decent. Sounds like level and quiet are the two primary concerns.
              Calling the ticket office may very well connect you with an office in Daytona. ISC owns the track - when I went last year even the personnel in the ticket office on site were trucked in from Florida and couldn't answer the most basic questions about the facility. Pathetic customer service. You're wise to ask here on TF, you'll get more reliable advice.

I camped there twice - once in section G, once in section H. I liked both spots, there are some trees for shade, but it is a long hike to the R,W,B stands (which are the best, IMHO). It is close to the boot, though, and that is a lot of fun to watch. Sec A, B, C along the backstretch are more crowded, less shade. The campground was not crowded at all the last two years, you could show up and get a good spot; no real need to worry about reserving months in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by DrivenCrazy
                Calling the ticket office may very well connect you with an office in Daytona. ISC owns the track - when I went last year even the personnel in the ticket office on site were trucked in from Florida and couldn't answer the most basic questions about the facility. Pathetic customer service. You're wise to ask here on TF, you'll get more reliable advice.

I camped there twice - once in section G, once in section H. I liked both spots, there are some trees for shade, but it is a long hike to the R,W,B stands (which are the best, IMHO). It is close to the boot, though, and that is a lot of fun to watch. Sec A, B, C along the backstretch are more crowded, less shade. The campground was not crowded at all the last two years, you could show up and get a good spot; no real need to worry about reserving months in advance.
                NOTE To All:

Remember it's a Road Course. Be sure to walk around and see the entire course!!!

Comment

Iv'e always camped on the backstrech before the inner-loop. It's always fun waking up to racecars a few feet away! For the vintage GP last year, we camped outside the final corner, it was great! I suggest this because there are alot of friendly people who camp there.

If I can't get a cabin at the Senaca, I will be tent camping in outside the final corner!

ps, go drive the old street course when you're there! You'll love it.
                  -Bernie

Comment

It's done

We will be in G1 trackside ... spot 10 I believe. I hope our spot turns out to be good. The guy I bought the spot from had NEVER been to the track so was of no value whatsoever.

Thanks to all for the advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk
                      We will be in G1 trackside ... spot 10 I believe. I hope our spot turns out to be good. The guy I bought the spot from had NEVER been to the track so was of no value whatsoever.

Thanks to all for the advise.
                      There is a considerable difference between wanting to help and having the capability to help.

Sad...

Comment

With out a doubt the best place to camp at the glen is in the boot. If you enter the gate near the toe of the boot and then head left you can get a spot right on top of a hill facing the heel of the boot. This gives you a good view of the last turn of the boot (heel) and the infamous marco-cheever left hander at the top of the hill(you can also somewhat see the left hander at enters the boot).

I had no problem with noise whatsoever when I camped...I know people further down the road were loud during the night but from where I was it wasn't a problem.

If you're worried about the boot I would head up towards the bus-stop and try and camp there...I saw some amazing racing go down in those corners.

Have fun...THE GLEN IS AWESOME.
                        "If everything is under control...you're just not going fast enough." -Mario Andretti

"To finish first you must first finish." -Rick Ravon Mears (The G.O.A.T)

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie_TR6
                          Iv'e always camped on the backstrech before the inner-loop. It's always fun waking up to racecars a few feet away! For the vintage GP last year, we camped outside the final corner, it was great! I suggest this because there are alot of friendly people who camp there.

If I can't get a cabin at the Senaca, I will be tent camping in outside the final corner!

ps, go drive the old street course when you're there! You'll love it.
                          Just saw your post today. We have a cabin at the Seneca Lodge reserved for the weekend. Going with another couple and are thinking of getting general admission tickets for the weekend. Would appreciate any input/advice from WG veterans.

Comment

Bring plenty of Mosquito repellant.

Aside from that, get prepared for a great time. Rainy off and on here the last few days, and expected that way through the weekend. Bring rain gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal Kint
                              Just saw your post today. We have a cabin at the Seneca Lodge reserved for the weekend. Going with another couple and are thinking of getting general admission tickets for the weekend. Would appreciate any input/advice from WG veterans.
                              Racing aside, make sure you go to the fireworks display in Clute park. It's over the water and the best in the area.
                              "When you come to the fork in the road, take it".

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X