No announcement yet.

Is this too retro for the 2011 IndyCar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too retro for the 2011 IndyCar?

First off, I'm by no means a concept car illustrator. I'm also 'out of practice' with my freehand drawing techniques. This was done very quickly with crude tools. My image was based off of a side view conceived by HarvE from speedanddesign.net (shown at the bottom of this post).

Features:
    Retro design is reminiscent of a pre-split era (pre 1979, trying to make it an amicable chassis for both CCWS and IRL fans).
    Entire rear portion of the car is a "crush zone".
    Top surface of the nose has a concave shape to aid downforce.
    Combination windscreen/downforce/mirror element.
    Integrated HD camera built into the roll hoop.
    Simple shapes utilized for maximum sponsor signage areas.
    No wings.

Specifications:
    800hp turbocharged inline 4 cylinder.
    Common "stock block" type specifications.
    Spec driver tub with more than one manufacturer.
    Spec ground effect underwing plate.
    Tire contract goes to a single highest bidder from the top 5 brands.

"But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
    the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
    -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

I could work with that. Maybe after a few refinements. Its not a bad effort at all.

What I like about that design is the car has a tougher quality about it than the current Dallaras. Might be a little "balloony" though, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Nice!

But I've suddenly got this strange urge to see if Speedracer is on cable somewhere.
      Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Originally posted by WhirlinGraphics
        No wings.
        That's my favorite part.
        Ending a sentence with a preposition is something I will not put up with.

Comment

Great work, but the engine does need to be in the back IMO.
          Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

In racing function defines the form. There is a sound reason that Indycars have had the engine in the rear for forty plus years. I see no reason to retreat to having engines up front just for the sake of sentimentality to an era that most who post on this forum were not alive to witness. I saw the roadsters. They were neat, but that was a long, long time ago!
            Rick
            God speed!

Comment

Does that thing have fenders?

Comment

This part IMHO looks like a sportscar or sedan type race car complete with split windshield:
                Thanks Downforce!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank
                  Great work, but the engine does need to be in the back IMO.

Yeah a mid engine car really helps with the overall balance of the car. Interesting concept though, I like the idea of an 800hp TURBO 4 cylinder. It would need some serious rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by Qdoba Addict
                    This part IMHO looks like a sportscar or sedan type race car complete with split windshield:

Thought the samething, is that where the chick and the monkey work all the computer gizmo's?? -cap
                    the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Could be a good direction

Retro could be a good direction for the new design. Look how popular 60's inspired cars are in the consumer market. Let's see, PT Cruiser, Charger, HHR, Thunderbird, Rustang (oops, I meant Mustang), and that new Camaro. IMHO, it could be longer, and sleeker but still having those older influences. (front engine)
                      "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark

Comment

I'd hate to hit the wall going backwards!
                        "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                        Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                        www.fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Jones
                          In racing function defines the form. There is a sound reason that Indycars have had the engine in the rear for forty plus years. I see no reason to retreat to having engines up front just for the sake of sentimentality to an era that most who post on this forum were not alive to witness. I saw the roadsters. They were neat, but that was a long, long time ago!
                          Rick
                          Rick, I don't necessarily disagree with your view. It could be argued that the rear engine was the advent of the search for "all out speed". Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the result of trying to build the fastest car possible with the available technology. With today's best technology, the right aerodynamic fairings, and a 1200hp powerplant, 300mph speeds on the backstraight at Indy wouldn't shock me. We have long past the era of trying to make the cars go faster each year and have actually swung back around to try to figure out how to slow them down for safety's sake. My idea was to still make an IndyCar capable of 220mph on the straights but the drivers would have to slow them down and manhandle them through the corners again.
                          "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
                          the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."

Comment

Originally posted by brickyard1911
                            I'd hate to hit the wall going backwards!
                            There is just as much or more crush area there as the current car has. Also the cockpit would be larger allowing for better seat technology to fit.

Comment

Pretty darn ugly!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X