Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy 500 travel advice (bump day and race day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500 travel advice (bump day and race day)

I'm planning to attend bump day and the 500 on fairly tight schedules this year and am looking for any advice anyone here may have. I am planning to drive up to Indy from Cincinatti for bump day after attending the Indians/Reds game on the 17th (3:55 start). I am planning to drive to Indy immediately post-game and stay in Indy overnight and then drive home after watching bump day. For the race, I am planning to drive (not all by myself) to Indy overnight following attending an Indians/Rangers game in Cleveland the night before (7:05 start). The plan would be to drive straight to Indy, park, see the race, and then stay overnight and drive home on Memorial Day. Any information any of you could provide would be appreciated.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Skip the Indians/Rangers game, come up a day or two early and enjoy the atmosphere of race weekend.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
      Skip the Indians/Rangers game, come up a day or two early and enjoy the atmosphere of race weekend.

Best advice ever

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
        unfortunately, that's not possible (can't miss game, they're giving away bobbleheads commemorating Grady Sizemore being named to the AL Gold Glove team), I really need some advice on hotels for sunday night and when I need to get to the track to get some reasonably close parking
        Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

Comment

Better staying a little ways out of Indy. A couple of weeks ago I got a room, but they were few and far between even then, and of course they are charging special event prices even on Sunday night.
          www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

check this

It's a good place to start looking for lodging.

Not that it will affect you but for people coming from Chicago and points north there will be closures of some of the ramps at the I-80/94 connection to I-65 all Summer. Best to check in advance for detours and alternate ways of getting around the situation.
            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
            "They're criminals"
            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by badart
              Better staying a little ways out of Indy. A couple of weeks ago I got a room, but they were few and far between even then, and of course they are charging special event prices even on Sunday night.
              Thanks for the advice. Anybody got any advice on parking or what race tickets I should go for (need to buy from IMS as my mom is paying for the seats and she wants to have tickets in hand or at will call before we leave for Indy).

Comment

Bump Day is easy. Only advice needed is to go to the Union Jack once the gun sounds and to park in the IMS lot as it's cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin
                  Thanks for the advice. Anybody got any advice on parking or what race tickets I should go for (need to buy from IMS as my mom is paying for the seats and she wants to have tickets in hand or at will call before we leave for Indy).
                  Eh well, the last two years we've gone; we have bought our tickets off the street. I personally hate sitting in the infield of turn one. Parking...yeah I'm not giving away where I park lol.
                  http://tuckgraphics.com

Comment

If you are using 70 to get to and from Ohio you might be best to check for hotels in the Post Road and even the Greenfield areas? Try to park at the track so you can head East on 30th street after the race ("North 40" lot or the neighborhoods nearby). This will take you straight to the entrance ramp for 65 South which leads immediately to 70 Eastbound. Once you get to the interstate the Greenfield exit is about 30min. away.
                    "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
                    the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
                    -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

Comment

stay

I have an open couch or floor with air mattress. I only charge a pizza or two.
                      I live in Greenwood. South side of Indy.

Jason
                      I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

Thanks to everybody who has posted advice (or will do so later in this thread). I knew I could on TF for some good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin
                          SW Vista, South Vista, or SE Vista as high as possible, double letter row if possible.

Comment

Arrive early...

scalp a reasonable ticket before 9:30AM.

Get inside the gate and check out your seats.

Go to the closest concession, pick up some dogs and a Pepsi.

Find a good place to watch a gate or main gate. (People watch)

With a hour till the green flag, back to the seats.

Sign with Gomer, bask in the spectacle.

Stay late...
                            "There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

"It's not my fault" ~ Danica

Comment

Originally posted by indyguy2
                              SW Vista, South Vista, or SE Vista as high as possible, double letter row if possible.

I completely agree.
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2008 5A Football State Champs
                              2015 6A Football State Champs
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X