Walker a no-go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker a no-go

Looks like Gore is in fact leaving Walker and Walker couldn't find any money.

link
    is it May yet?

I'll wait for an official press release from him...I can't see him sitting out at least Indy this year.
    RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Classical, here's a guy in the forefront leading the charge for a merger to the media and he isn't even going to field a team with the Tony handouts. What are teams like Cheever, PDM, Beck, Hemelgarn and other former IRL teams thinking.....or laughing.
      We want to relate to Americana. I went to the Indy 500 and that was Americana. I sat in various turns and I didn’t see any champagne drinkers, but I saw a lot of beer drinkers. We appeal to the wine and cheese crowd, but we also appeal to the masses – the beer drinkers.” Randy Bernard

Comment

Wow.

jono

Comment

Here's the AP story.
          is it May yet?

Comment

Probably see at least a one off for Indy from Walker, if I had to make a guess.
            If you break a vase and then glue it back together and the vase loses it's value, you do not get credit for fixing it. You get the blame for damaging it....

Comment

When it is all said and done, there may not be very many champ car teams that make the switch.....because if they wanted to be in the ICS, they would have already been there.

Comment

Here's the press release

For Immediate Release
                WALKER RACING WITHDRAWS INDYCAR PROGRAM
                > Indianapolis, IN (March 9, 2008) - Reluctantly, Walker Racing has been
                > forced to withdraw its attempt to join the IndyCar Series for 2008. The
                > racing partnership of "Team Australia" and the association with Australian
                > businessman Craig Gore, drivers Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, has also
                > come to an end.
                >
                > Notwithstanding a commitment for 2008, it came down to the lack of
                > funding. A lengthy search for new sponsorship partners drew a blank, so
                > Walker Racing had to close the program officially on Friday.
                >
                > “It's a great pity that the team has had to abandon our IndyCar program.
                > So much work by so many has gone into the Team Australia program over the
                > last three and a half years, but now it will remain unfinished business
                > for us. I wish my co-partner well with his new venture and so to Will and
                > Simon and all the employees, associates and fans who have given me the
                > opportunity. Many thanks,” said Walker Racing Owner, Derrick Walker.

> For further updates on Walker Racing, please visit www.walkerracing.com.

Comment

Originally posted by indyguy2
                  When it is all said and done, there may not be very many champ car teams that make the switch.....because if they wanted to be in the ICS, they would have already been there.

BINGO
                  We want to relate to Americana. I went to the Indy 500 and that was Americana. I sat in various turns and I didn’t see any champagne drinkers, but I saw a lot of beer drinkers. We appeal to the wine and cheese crowd, but we also appeal to the masses – the beer drinkers.” Randy Bernard

Comment

I disagree, and I also suspect brinkmanship on the part of Derrick. We'll see on both counts.
                    It's always been about the Indy 500!
                    I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

I agree that there probably won't be a lot of teams switching, but I disagree with your "WHY". You assume they really want to be there; I assume they really wanted to be in Champ Car.

The reason there won't be a lot of crossover has to do with the short timeframe. Had this all taken place in Nov-Jan, then we'd likely be seeing a different amount of teams already testing and announced. One month just isn't enough time to get in competition and be at the pointy end of the grid. You think a team is gonna want to be only competitive with Roth and Duno?
                      If you break a vase and then glue it back together and the vase loses it's value, you do not get credit for fixing it. You get the blame for damaging it....

Comment

Is it just me or aren't most of the teams we would have wanted anyway in fact coming?
                        "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                        Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                        www.fairtax.org

Comment

It has to be getting difficult to find sponsors and funds given the rapidly deteriorating economic climate. Sponsors and potential sponsors are finding it difficult to raise funds to grow their own business so I suspect they are reluctant to part with cash for racing.
                          When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
                          - Jack Handey

Comment

They weren't in the ICS because they couldn't afford it to begin with. They were getting free rides from champ car. That is exacty why I keep saying that NHL is the only former champ car team that is going to be competitive in the IRL anyway.Teams running on free handouts are not going to beat the Penske's, Ganassi's, Andretti's and so on. Did anyone believe that these teams were going to be anything but field fillers to begin with? Reality is there may be 8-10 more cars ,but 1 or 2 with a chance to actually win races.

Comment

ding ding ding ding ............winner
                              Q: The Stanley Cup was recently on tour through my town and I kissed it, is there any chance I mite catch listeria?

A: NO you are safe, the cup hasn't touched any Maple Leaf products in 40 years

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X