Green Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Racing?

Did anyone else see the ALMS add in the recent AutoWeek that states that ALMS has been recognized by the EPA, DOE, and SAE as a Green Racing Series and as the "Global Leader in Green Racing"? With Indycars having introduced Ethanol to Indycars in 2005 with a demo run at Indy, then running 2006 with an Ethanol blend, followed by 2007 running cars with virtually pure Ethanol, I find this ALMS honor interesting and a bit confusing. What makes what ALMS is doing more green than the ICS? Is it a part of their technological rules or what?
    If any new technological focus should emerge and be implemented for future Indycars, racing with alternative energy sources would be my hope.
    God speed!

Na, Nascar already has claimed to be the most prestigous green racing series in the world, just like everything else that comes out of their mouths. Indy Car and ALMS are too late.

Comment

The "Green Racing" move is to try to highlight the differing fuel types being promoted in the ALMS. E85 this year as an option, with E10 being standard; diesel; and, in the near future, hybrids (I've heard that Honda is looking very closely at this option). As well, the ethanol being used in the series is cellulosic instead of corn-based, so it's waste-based.

Some will claim that this is primarily a PR exercise, and there would be some truth to that - but SAE and EPA are endorsing it.
      ... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James

Comment

Dang, I was hoping Barry was starting a new team.

Comment

Many would like to see turbos come back to IndyCar. Would they still be excited if that meant turbo diesels?

There is an organization out there that is pushing hydrogen to power a racing league. I'm not sold on the safety of this technology yet but am interested in the possibility.
          "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
          the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
          -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

Comment

Racing is one of things that does not need to be green. Racing should be about burning fuel and doing whatever it takes to get that extra MPH. If you want green racing then watch the olympics...

Comment

great question....

I just posted yesterday in Yahoo answers this question:

What can auto racing do to become a more environmentally friendly sport?

I just got back from Capitol Hill where I was speaking with members of Congress on this very issue. I was also there on behalf of the Lieberman Warner Climate Security Act, a bipartison effort to reduce global warming pollution by 2% every year through a cap and trade system. It's an important new approach to combating global warming that works for our economy and our environment. A story ran in the Washington Post:

Washington Post: Race Car Driver Aims to Put Brakes on Global Warming

Great to see others talking about this issue!

Life is short. Race hard. Live green.

Leilani Munter
              Indy Pro Series driver
              http://leilanimunter.com
              Last edited by leilanimunter; 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Jones
                With Indycars having introduced Ethanol to Indycars in 2005 with a demo run at Indy, then running 2006 with an Ethanol blend, followed by 2007 running cars with virtually pure Ethanol, I find this ALMS honor interesting and a bit confusing. What makes what ALMS is doing more green than the ICS? Is it a part of their technological rules or what?
                Lots of stuff:

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=3879

All race cars in the Series compete on alternative fuels. For the last two seasons, Audi has competed with a revolutionary clean diesel-powered race car. Last year, the Ethanol Promotion and Information Council (EPIC) and fuel supplier VP Racing Fuels introduced E10 (10 percent ethanol, 90 percent gasoline) to all other manufacturers who raced in the Series. E10 is virtually the same blend that most consumers are able to buy at their local service station. This season, the Series in conjunction with EPIC will introduce E85 (85 percent ethanol, 15 percent gasoline) as one of its fuel options.

American Le Mans Series rules also support the introduction of an electric hybrid race car and encourage manufacturers to develop new technologies (through racing) that can be applied to improve the automobiles being built for consumers.
                It's a general direction, they're getting manufacturers to show up with new technology to strut... very positive.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by leilanimunter

I just got back from Capitol Hill where I was speaking with members of Congress on this very issue. I was also there on behalf of the Lieberman Warner Climate Security Act, a bipartison effort to . A story ran in the Washington Post:

Leilani Munter
                  Indy Pro Series driver

Comment

You gotta laugh at the idea of NASCAR thinking themselves green. HA! They only just switched to unleaded fuel.
                    As for ALMS using cellulosic ethanol, it is greener coming from plant waste as mentioned by paul-collins, even if chemically it is the indistinguishable from regular ethanol.
                    As for irvinefan saying racing shouldn't need to be green; that goes against the direction of society. If it is to be viable to the public, racing has to promote green technologies. Besides, alcohols make great race fuels. They burn cleaner, have higher ocane levels and burn cooler. It's everything gas wanted to be, but couldn't.

Comment

I just got back from Capitol Hill where I was speaking with members of Congress on this very issue. I was also there on behalf of the Lieberman Warner Climate Security Act, a bipartison effort to reduce global warming pollution by 2% every year through a cap and trade system. It's an important new approach to combating global warming that works for our economy and our environment. A story ran in the Washington Post:

Leilani Munter
                      Indy Pro Series driver

Thanks for the post/links. I am a fan now.
                      GO LEILANI!!

Comment

love it

Leilani Munter
                        Indy Pro Series driver

Appreciate the links and your participation. THIS is how people develop a fanbase! Nice effort lady, best of luck!
                        I Love May!

Comment

*The* Leilani Munter? That's cool.
                          Last edited by Racemind; 03-10-2008, 05:33 PM.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
                          "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Gee, you would think that the IRL would have SOME moral value here and not keep doing things for Political reasons.

Milka’s ride had some very shameful aspects by the sponsor being a dictator from South America. And, perhaps even worse is that no one would speak out since she was a women, and you can’t be told not to drive. There was issues of slow speeds, and even more issues as to the qualifications as to if this person being allowed to race.

I’m not against anyone driving based on race, gender etc. However, I’m certainly against a person driving when issues of safety involves other members on the track. I don’t care who you are, but you don’t look the other way and put political issues above that of safety issues..

Once again we’ve got another shameful issue occurring here and that is the IRL’s support of ethanol.

Here is a quick video of where this ethanol is going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBg8CY4bEqI

Ethanol is a really bad idea, and we should not be supporting something that’s so destructive to our economy. It is a shame that we as fans simply stand here and turn a blind eye to the use of ethanol here. The resulting higher food prices (and now meat prices are going to SOAR in about 14 months). There are other serious problems that result of using ethanol here.

It should be pointed out that these issues JEOPARDIZES my wiliness to support the IRL.

This is a very dangerous and slippery road in that the IRL is becoming political in its nature, and not making decisions based on what is good for the racing industry, but using the prestige of things like the Indy 500 to push political agendas such as using ethanol.

The problem here is if you push too many political agendas over that of good sound decisions, you risk damaging the prestige and credibility of the Indy 500. People will begin to view the whole IRL as a institution that makes decisions based on politics, not what is good for racing. This is a very dangerous road for the IRL to take.

At the end of the day the IRL is placing fan support at risk by using agenda based idealism over what is actually good for racing.

This agenda based approach is a REALLY bad idea if the IRL wants open wheel racing to grow by gaining the respect of their fan base.

Albert D. Kallal
                            Edmonton, Alberta Canada
                            [email protected]

Comment

Aren't we being a tad over-dramatic..?

It's racing, it's driving in circles burning fuel, it's not exactly the first place I'd look for environmental responsibility.

Ethanol is no panacea, but ultimately it's just the stuff that goes into the tank.

I can't imagine basing my support of a series based on what fuel they use, or how green they are or aren't.

jono

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X