The Bettenhausens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bettenhausens

I know it's not exactly timely, but I got to thinking about drivers I wish had won the 500 -- the first that came to mind was Gary Bettenhausen (the first driver I saw win any type of race live).

In my family, a Bettenhausen win would have been almost like my own family winning the 500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tufz5vlSqU
    Ending a sentence with a preposition is something I will not put up with.

I agree. Gary B definitely knows what Indy means.

By the way, I was at the Speedway that day in the video when Gary B. time trialed as the fastest car in the field. Thanks for reviving a nice memory.

Comment

LLoyd Ruby

As a kid my favorite driver was LLoyd Ruby. I also liked Gary B. and Mike Mosley. Ruby was a great driver and always very competitive at Indianapolis. Those were the days. Great memories.

Comment

I saw Mr. Tony Bettenhausen race many times, speaking of the father. The Indianapolis 500 is a race that occurs only once a year. I am sure, going thru all the years, you will find many stories about people who should have won, but, never did.

Comment

Originally posted by DNS/DNF
          As a kid my favorite driver was LLoyd Ruby. I also liked Gary B. and Mike Mosley. Ruby was a great driver and always very competitive at Indianapolis. Those were the days. Great memories.
          Agreed, Mr Ruby would have been a great winner IMO. I always rooted for him as a kid.
          The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

If ever there was a driver who knows what Indy means, it was Gary B. In additon to the heartbreak of 1972, I'll never forget 1980. He barely made the race with one of Sherman Armstrong's slugs and somehow managed to finish 3rd - IIRC he had told his family to hurry to the car when the "POS" blew up so they could beat the traffic home!

Also in 1991 at the Victory Dinner, he commented to Michael Andretti (who had lost to R. Mears) that he knew just how bitterly disappointed he was - & got choked up. The man had a passion, I just wish he'd had more success at Indy.
            #BCForever

Comment

Tony Sr. was my childhood hero. I still have the signed qualifing photo from '54 on the wall of my racing room.

I met him several times, such a gentleman. And the apples didn't fall very far from the tree. His kids were (are) fine examples of human beings.

Great man, great kids. Just one of the many wonderful stories about Indy.

ZOOOM
              "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
              James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Gary B., Ruby, and Len Sutton.
                "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

The Andretti's racing suits in that video were atrocious.

Looks like something you'd see in Buck Rogers or Logan's Run.

Comment

I agree. Gary B. was my favorite driver growing up. When I was 10 I saw him win a Sprint car race at Eldora on a Sat night. It was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. He was fearless. At the time I was racing quarter midgets and had "24" put on my car. The same as his winning sprint cat.Year after year I hoped he win. It never happened. He was a great driver.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X