Car of the Future Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car of the Future Progress

A new article is up on indycar.com talking about the new car project. It hit me the other day though that if Honda is going to stay in American open wheel racing, then would they use their influence to propose the new Indycar to be similar to an F1 car?

I say this because Honda is struggling mightily in their F1 program and if they can invest money in engines and aero packages in the new Indycar, then wouldn't this be to their advantage for more "testing" time and practice for their F1 program. The current F1 package would be deadly on ovals, but would be great for the roadcourses. Also, I think F1 are putting more restrictions for design and costs for 2010.

Thoughts?

Interesting

While that is an interesting thought, In my opinion there would be 2 large problems with it being a reality. The first is this new car, I believe, will be modeled off a similiar cost saving model like the PD01 was. TG has said a couple of times that cost would be a consideration for the new design. The other is I do not believe there would be much of an opportunity to share info on both platforms because they would end up so different, due to the safety considerations. :tg
    "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark

Comment

Yes, that is an interesting thought. I would love to see a Forumla One style Indy Car. I think they are down right sexy cars. From a competitive standpoint for Honda it makes sense. As long as we can get a good competitive car on the track that allows for great racing, I am down with whatever the motives of Honda are.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyfanman
        A new article is up on indycar.com talking about the new car project. It hit me the other day though that if Honda is going to stay in American open wheel racing, then would they use their influence to propose the new Indycar to be similar to an F1 car?

I say this because Honda is struggling mightily in their F1 program and if they can invest money in engines and aero packages in the new Indycar, then wouldn't this be to their advantage for more "testing" time and practice for their F1 program. The current F1 package would be deadly on ovals, but would be great for the roadcourses. Also, I think F1 are putting more restrictions for design and costs for 2010.

Thoughts?
        You ever seen an F1 car on an Oval, it is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JsGG1dtXOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSVf9KiTM0
        "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

Despite the fact there is going to be somewhat of an engine development freeze for the next few years in F-1, the exotic materials used in F-1 engines would be too expensive for Indy and would be a deterrent for other manufacturers without an F-1 program.
          Also the aero rules in F-1 handicap the racing. Without an underwing to create downforce they require lots of "winglets" to create downforce and it takes away from the overall look of an F-1 car. They're not as "clean" looking.
          If you happen to like ovals, an F-1 car does tear em' up and sounds great doing it. Indy should not look too much like F-1 though because then you have that identity problem again. For Indy to move forward it has to be unique again. That's why I am such a big supporter of turbos, I am not sure of another open wheel series that uses them.
          However, the new Superleague car (a panoz DP-09) is a nice looking naturally aspirated car with an underwing and has some F-1 looking aspects to it too. A very sexy car..as far as NA's go.
          cheers

Comment

Originally posted by VonScratch
            If you happen to like ovals, an F-1 car does tear em' up and sounds great doing it
            I guess it's just personal preference but I don't like the way F1 cars sound, especially on a high speed oval. A turbo screams, an F1 car whines.

Comment

Ya know, they would've been a lot better off if they'd have just told TrackForum'ers to come up with some designs. Everything I've seen so far looks more like it's being designed for a cartoon rather than pratical application.

Comment

Isn't F1 a constructors series, where the teams design the chassis around their specific engine? That alone imo, makes any sort of cross series sharing basically worthless.

Comment

[QUOTE=speedmonkey]
                  QUOTE]

Hey, that's my buddy Dave Marek from Honda RD there on the right! Great guy and real racing fanatic.
                  No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Refutation
                    You ever seen an F1 car on an Oval, it is awesome.
                    yes.

http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

The Indycar Series has an opportunity to really set a fresh, innovative direction with its 2011 Chassis. They MUST turn away from the current aero-dependent formula. I say get rid of 90% of the downforce producing elements: no wings. Just a small amout of venturi. Add bigger tires: taller and wider to offset the loss of drag. Ditto for the body: make it more blunt. Kinda of like a 1970s chassis.
                      Lose the mega-downforce and let's separate the men from the boys!

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey

Ya know, they would've been a lot better off if they'd have just told TrackForum'ers to come up with some designs. Everything I've seen so far looks more like it's being designed for a cartoon rather than pratical application.

I completely agree. For the most part, the student designs we've seen have totally missed the point. They need to design a "race car" not a cartoon with a delicate nose. Very few of the ones we've seen could ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows
                          yes.

What a cool video. It's absolutely a miracle none of those flag men were ever hurt. They had some big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive
                            Hey, that's my buddy Dave Marek from Honda RD there on the right! Great guy and real racing fanatic.
                            I'm glad he's got a sharpie in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey

Been there, done that.
                              "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X