American car builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American car builders

Which companies would be able to build IRL engines if the rules were right?

I miss the times of the powerful V6 Buicks.

I would love to have many small engine builders involved rather than just Honda, Chevy, Ford.

Here is the list of possible builders:
    Pontiac;
    Chevrolet;
    Buick;
    Cadillac;
    Ford;
    Lincoln;
    Mercury;
    Chrysler;
    Dodge.
    "The IRL has let me down.... 2002 was the last year of the IRL... They pushed out the guys that they created the sport for..." - Billy Boat

Pontiac got pushed out of NASCAR (the year after they won Cup with Smoke), would love to see them carry GM's banner in INDYCar....

If Ford's interested as Dan Davis said they were in a single series.....then bring it on!! Or how 'bout Lincoln in INDYCar.now that's a "hotrod Lincoln"!!!

NASCAR = Chevy vs, Ford vs. Dodge vs. Toyota

INDYCar = Pontiac vs. Lincoln (Mercury) vs. Chrysler vs. Honda

the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Cadillac would be cool
      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff
        Cadillac would be cool
        the big three all with their marquee divisons

Caddy vs. Lincoln vs. Chrysler vs Honda.....OH YEAH!!!! -cap :kk
        the man in expensive shoes

Comment

well, Caddy, afterall is marketing performance and building a VeeEight
          "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Originally posted by 225_at_Indy
            Which companies would be able to build IRL engines if the rules were right?

I miss the times of the powerful V6 Buicks.

I would love to have many small engine builders involved rather than just Honda, Chevy, Ford.

Here is the list of possible builders:
            Pontiac;
            Chevrolet;
            Buick;
            Cadillac;
            Ford;
            Lincoln;
            Mercury;
            Chrysler;
            Dodge.

It wouldn't be hard for them to make combined efforts as Pontiac, Chev and Buick are all under the same roof as are Ford/Lincoln/Mercury and Chrysler/Dodge.
            The dark horse would be Cadillac.
            I wouldn't limit them though. If Nissan, Mitsubishi, Porsche or anyone wanted to build (or even badge) an engine it would add to the mix.

Comment

Is Saturn no longer an American car builder?

Also, what is an American car builder these days? A company with an "American" name? Or a company that actually builds AND sells cars in America?

I don't really care whose name is on an engine. But I would like to see a couple more builders come to the table for the ICS.
              http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows
                Is Saturn no longer an American car builder?
                They still make cars? I thought they just rebadged Opels and Vauxhalls...

Comment

Olds

Comment

I think it's time "crate" engines...650 HP n/a spec motors provided by mfgs and/or builders to be controlled by the series.

This can be accomplished similar to Grand Am rules that keep the engines within a few HP of each other.

Hey this is 2008...by the centenial you could have very low cost crate motors that would be every bit as equal and reliable as those dumbed down Hondas.

Imagine the choices!

Comment

Lincoln?!? When was the last time Lincoln made a car that appealed at all to a younger generation? Do they still make the Town Car?..I don't know. I'm 28 and I'm not sure I can name a single Lincoln automobile. I think maybe they make an SUV that looks nice with the hoopty wheels.

And the name Lincoln isn't exactly synonomous with speed, either.

Cadillac might work. They've done a pretty nice job evolving their image.

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                        Do they still make the Town Car?..I don't know. I'm 28 and I'm not sure I can name a single Lincoln automobile.

Uh, you just did.
                        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury
                          Uh, you just did.
                          That's why I said "I'm not sure". So I guess the Town Car is still in production. I haven't noticed one in a long time, so I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows

A company with an "American" name?
                            Like Chevrolet? Sounds kinda Frenchy to me
                            Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Ummm, the last "Pontiac" engine left the plant in 1985.

In the old days GM division actually made engines. A Pontiac engine was actually different from a Chevrolet engine. And in the early 80s they got caught swapping them around (Oldsmobiles with Chevy engines, etc) as they tried to cover the increasing CAFE standards. This led to a court case and the settlement was that GM cars in the early 80s featured a label like "This vehicle was assembled by the Oldsmobile Division using an engine made by the Buick Division". When the settlement period expired, GM just switched to GM engines. There is no such thing as a "Cadillac engine" or a "Pontiac engine". Lincoln-Mercury stopped having its own engines before GM did, and, AFAIK, Chrysler never had seperate engine plants from Dodge.

As to NASCAR, all GM models were running Chevrolet small blocks, no matter the make, since the early 1970s. GM dropped frist Olds and Buick and then finally Pontiac, but the only thing Pontiac made on the Tony Stewart Pontiac was the Pontiac sticker. The modern NASCAR engines are not stock.

If you want to run a truly "stock" engine series, GM vs. Ford vs. Mopar series, good luck to you and when is the USGP?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X