1911 Indy 500...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Indy 500...

Did anyone ever see this? Was this ever proven or dis-proven?

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Journa.../RussellJ.html
    It's a league game, Smokey

There's a thread about it around here somewhere. It's been a few years since I've seen it though.

Comment

i love the old stories of the race

"I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Comment

I think Danny B was there
        Live like Dave

Comment

Interesting....

box score for 1911
          Last edited by Plectraholica; 03-07-2008, 06:47 AM.
          The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

If you can find the book "500 Miles to Go", there's some more information on this, it is a great reference for the early races.
            http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Let me see if I understand one aspect. In 1911 after 500 (or so) miles there were three cars on the lead lap? I would have thought that one car would have won by many laps.

Comment

Originally posted by Plectraholica
                Interesting....

box score for 1911
                Lots of neat things stick out, don't they? Notice what positions 11 through 40 paid...
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by silva33
                  Let me see if I understand one aspect. In 1911 after 500 (or so) miles there were three cars on the lead lap? I would have thought that one car would have won by many laps.
                  That would be amazing as, if my memory serves me right, during the Golden Years of front engined cars and roadsters often there were only 12-14 finishers and while some races had a good battle for the lead late in the race, there were also some where the finish was a yawn.

Comment

I knew Ray Harroun..Ray Harroun was a friend of mine..and you Senator are no Ray Harroun

Comment

Originally posted by NSRSBoiler
                      Did anyone ever see this? Was this ever proven or dis-proven?

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Journa.../RussellJ.html

It's neither, but the fact is Harroun was the winner and there's no proof to show he didn't.

Comment

I asked Davidson about it a year ago at the track, as our families car came in second in 1911. He said that our car had a flat or blew a tire in turn one and had to drive around the track on a bent rim. We apparently had a sizeable lead and by the time the rim was taken off and a new tire was put on Ray passed us up and that was a contributing factor in the scoring error. That was news to me.

Comment

I read in 500 history book that Ray only changed tires four times, while many cars used almost quadruple that amount of tires to go the distance. Mulford made 14 tire stops. His self-inforced 75 speed mph limit was no accident; it was where his lightweight Wasp could get exponentially better tire wear, just 5mph faster was bad news. An engineer indeed. I think he won.
                          "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz
                            I read in 500 history book that Ray only changed tires four times, while many cars used almost quadruple that amount of tires to go the distance. His self-inforced 75 speed mph limit was no accident; it was where his lightweight Wasp could get exponentially better tire wear, just 5mph faster was bad news. An engineer indeed. I think he won.
                            Funny because each of your points are ones that Davidson made to me when I spoke to him. He said that Ray did in fact have his team let him know when he was going over 75 miles per hour and that he was many laps behind at times because of it. The guy had to be a genius as he didn't have a ride in mechanic. It doesn't matter who won now, but things sure could have been different for the Lozier car if they in deed won the race. One thing I am certain of is that there aren't many people in this world who had the charector of a Ralph Mulford. Do yourself a favor and do some research on that guy. What a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by meirafan
                              One thing I am certain of is that there aren't many people in this world who had the charector of a Ralph Mulford. Do yourself a favor and do some research on that guy. What a class act.
                              I like the story about how Ralph took his time finishing the 1912 race to collect 10th place prize money.... slowest 500 miles ever at Indy.
                              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X