Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Austrailia races. Is it possible?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two Austrailia races. Is it possible?

    Ok I have been thinking. While I think the Surfer's contract is great, I don't like the course as much as Melborn. And since F-1 seems poised to leave Melborn, and since Indycar will be over there why not run both races in the spring. Again it's simply a case where they were already there. If Indycar didn't go to Motegi I would see much reason to do Surfer's either.
    Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

  • #2
    First off, a comment... with the direction F1 is going, it is on it's way to becoming that series that doesn't race in the U.S., Australia, England, Brazil, or Canada. No important markets for F1 sponsors in that group.

    The fact coupled with CCWS's demise leaves a giant base of race fans out there. This obviously doesn't escape the attention of IMS, much to the bewilderment of the "lets add dirt tracks to the Indycar schedule, weeee-yooo!!" crowd.

    That said, I can't imagine that two races in Australia, back to back, would be tenable.

    Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
    "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Racemind
      The fact coupled with CCWS's demise leaves a giant base of race fans out there. .
      Just generic 'race fans' or would they more accurately be described as F-1 fans with no F-1 race to attend? These would be the F-1 fans who people say look down on the oval based ICS and the drivers in it for the most part. Or would they be the CCWS fans who now have no series to follow who didn't like the ICS or the letters TG?

      I would like to see some evidence that the Australian fans are following the the other races on the ICS schedule and are not just interested that one weekend a year. From the comments of the promoters they're very proud to have Will Power and Ryan Briscoe in their 'Indy' race, as hated as that nationalistic attitude is by some when applied to some American fan towards American drivers.
      "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
      "They're criminals"
      "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Racemind
        First off, a comment... with the direction F1 is going, it is on it's way to becoming that series that doesn't race in the U.S., Australia, England, Brazil, or Canada. No important markets for F1 sponsors in that group.

        The fact coupled with CCWS's demise leaves a giant base of race fans out there. This obviously doesn't escape the attention of IMS, much to the bewilderment of the "lets add dirt tracks to the Indycar schedule, weeee-yooo!!" crowd.

        That said, I can't imagine that two races in Australia, back to back, would be tenable.
        Well they are almost 22hours away from each other so not close. It's 1720km from one to the other.


        Originally posted by Z28
        Just generic 'race fans' or would they more accurately be described as F-1 fans with no F-1 race to attend? These would be the F-1 fans who people say look down on the oval based ICS and the drivers in it for the most part. Or would they be the CCWS fans who now have no series to follow who didn't like the ICS or the letters TG?

        I would like to see some evidence that the Australian fans are following the the other races on the ICS schedule and are not just interested that one weekend a year. From the comments of the promoters they're very proud to have Will Power and Ryan Briscoe in their 'Indy' race, as hated as that nationalistic attitude is by some when applied to some American fan towards American drivers.
        I would say they are just race fans. The Austrailian would want something to replace what they lose from F-1. doubt they would look down on an Oval based series as they love sprint cars. I really don't think its an ICS vs CCWS vs F-1 at all. Just filling a need.
        Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

        Comment


        • #5
          If you're going to have a race in Melbourne, you have to go to the Calder Park Thunderdome



          1.2 mile trioval. Even if the track might need a little "freshening up", all the infrastructure is in place. And you don't canniballize Surfer's Paradise since this would be an oval instead of a street festival.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Z28
            Just generic 'race fans' or would they more accurately be described as F-1 fans with no F-1 race to attend?
            Well, the U.S. and Canadian fans would be mixture of F1 fans and CCWS fans, and the rest would be F1 fans.

            Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by The Stickman
              Well they are almost 22hours away from each other so not close. It's 1720km from one to the other.
              Yes, people forget that the Australian continent is about the same size as the U.S.A. in terms of land area.
              "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

              Comment


              • #8
                can't/won't happen

                Part of what makes the Gold Coast viable is that it attracts a certain percentage of interstate tourists to the race. Having a second race in Australia would halve the interstate attendance and reduce the economic impact to the Gold Coast race and that's something the Queensland Govt would never go for.

                One Indycar race in Australia is enough, that's part of what made it 'special' in the first place prior to CART running at Motegi, when the Gold Coast race was the only indycar race to take place outside of North America.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is there enough support Downunder to do 5 to 6 race Indy car series outside of regular ICS season? Like a 21st century Tasman Series.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In this posters opinion...one is more than enough.. none would be better.
                    Fix it here first then go overseas.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Latest from Ozz with some of their concerns. Interesting read.

                      http://news.theage.com.au/gold-coast...0305-1x1s.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nuts!
                        ...---...

                        Comment

                        Unconfigured Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X