Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Beach Race

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Long Beach Race

    I just received the Indycar News and Notes through TSO (this is the one that is put out by the league that TSO then forwards to its subscribers). The notes included this paragraph about unification and the schedule:

    "Unification: The start of the racing season will see one open-wheel series compete under the banner of the IndyCar Series. The Indy Racing League will serve as the sanctioning body with teams and drivers from Champ Car transitioning to the IndyCar Series. The 2008 IndyCar Series schedule will remain intact, with the potential addition of Champ Car venues Edmonton and Surfers Paradise. The 2008 season opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway will produce a variety of new faces and familiar names all competing on one racetrack."

    This is right from the IRL and I thought it was interesting to note that the Long Beach is not included. I know that they have said that the the Champ Cars will be running there, but this could mean so much more...Or am I just reading too much into it?

  • #2
    You're reading too much into it.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Walldozer
      I just received the Indycar News and Notes through TSO (this is the one that is put out by the league that TSO then forwards to its subscribers). The notes included this paragraph about unification and the schedule:

      "Unification: The start of the racing season will see one open-wheel series compete under the banner of the IndyCar Series. The Indy Racing League will serve as the sanctioning body with teams and drivers from Champ Car transitioning to the IndyCar Series. The 2008 IndyCar Series schedule will remain intact, with the potential addition of Champ Car venues Edmonton and Surfers Paradise. The 2008 season opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway will produce a variety of new faces and familiar names all competing on one racetrack."

      This is right from the IRL and I thought it was interesting to note that the Long Beach is not included. I know that they have said that the the Champ Cars will be running there, but this could mean so much more...Or am I just reading too much into it?
      Reading too much into it. They've already said Long Beach will be run w/ Champ Cars for IRL points. They have to run Long Beach or risk losing it permenantly as there would likely be a lawsuit from the LBGP to contend with.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmmmm, Plane flights back to california after the race?

        Comment


        • #5
          Not to nit pick, but if the league awards points for the race, wouldnt it be considered a league race? If so, why wouldn't the race be noted in the release?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by athletics68
            Reading too much into it. They've already said Long Beach will be run w/ Champ Cars for IRL points. They have to run Long Beach or risk losing it permenantly as there would likely be a lawsuit from the LBGP to contend with.
            Since KK and GF own the LBGP, I doubt there would be a suit. I'm very sure who would be racing at Long Beach was decided before the deal was signed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Walldozer
              Not to nit pick, but if the league awards points for the race, wouldnt it be considered a league race? If so, why wouldn't the race be noted in the release?
              As part of a post in the CC forum I pointed out

              >>. .The only indication so far is that ICS points will be awarded for this race. That doesn't mean it will be an ICS race. There is precedent for awarding points to races outside a particular series' sanction. In the 1950s, when I began watching racing, both F1 and USAC points were awarded for the Indianapolis 500, but it was never an F1 race. During most of CART's life the 500 was a USAC sanction, but both CART and USAC awarded points to participants. . <<

              (Mods - I hope a four-line partial duplcation of a post isn't a TrackForum crime. If it is, my apologies, and delete as you see fit. T.)
              In my day it was 75 percent car and mechanic, 25 percent driver and luck. Today it's 95 percent car. - Juan Manuel Fangio

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah....yes....that makes sense. Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tadarida
                  (Mods - I hope a four-line partial duplcation of a post isn't a TrackForum crime. If it is, my apologies, and delete as you see fit. T.)
                  Nonsense. Even if it was, there would be bigger fish to fry than you.
                  "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                    Since KK and GF own the LBGP, I doubt there would be a suit. I'm very sure who would be racing at Long Beach was decided before the deal was signed.
                    They wouldn't be the one's suing, it'd be the City, Toyota, other sponsors who've fronted money, and maybe the ALMS and the Drift series left holding the bag if there were no headline event.
                    "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                    “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                    "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lemming51
                      They wouldn't be the one's suing, it'd be the City, Toyota, other sponsors who've fronted money, and maybe the ALMS and the Drift series left holding the bag if there were no headline event.
                      haha...... Drifto

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Walldozer
                        Not to nit pick, but if the league awards points for the race, wouldnt it be considered a league race? If so, why wouldn't the race be noted in the release?
                        I think it is not mentioned to avoid any more confusion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VonScratch
                          I think it is not mentioned to avoid any more confusion.
                          Really.

                          "So it's the Champ World IndyCar Series running at Long Beach?", questioned many of our friends, spouses, significant others, etc. etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Reved is correct. Long Beach will be a regular on the schedule. This year I can't see them putting it on the schedule.

                            Right now NHL, has 1 race scheduled on their 08 calander and that LB. So because of the way this went down they had to split it.
                            Nothing to worry bout.
                            More road and street courses please! Thank You :worship:
                            http://www.chapparrelsdiecast.com/
                            http://www.autisimspeaks.org

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DR_K13
                              Hmmmm, Plane flights back to california after the race?
                              IIRC, either last year or the year before, BOTH Penske IRL drivers shipped out of Japan and were in Phoenix with PLENTY of time to spare to attend the Saturday Night Nextel Cup Race. Jet lag may end up being an issue, as well as qualifying, but all competing drivers should be OK to run the LBGP. If they only get credit for one checkered flag, expect to see a 50/50 split of drivers/cars. Motegi = the usual suspects, LBGP = CCWS snowbirds. Might be interesting to see if the team pairings have any effect on who drives for which team... it might be interesting to see someone like Briscoe or Kanaan driving for Walker or Coyne.
                              77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

                              - @KBrughelli11
                              - @AcrossTheBricks


                              "Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X