Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your choice for "Back Home Again in Indiana" singer after Jim Nabors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your choice for "Back Home Again in Indiana" singer after Jim Nabors?

Here’s a May topic for everyone that has May fever.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that considers the singing of "Back Home Again in Indiana" an important part of race day, and though I’m sure that almost all of us would love for Jim Nabors to be the singer of that song on Memorial Day weekend forever, the fact is someday the decision for a different singer will have to be made. Though I understand the speedway doing what they did last year in trying to have the fans sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" but it didn’t work and I hope they never do that again! Also, I believe the song should always be sung live (since I’m sure someone will suggest a playback track of Jim Nabors).

That being said, my suggestion for the future singer for "Back Home Again in Indiana" is Mike Rowe.

Mike Rowe is best known as host “Dirty Jobs” and the voice of several other shows on the Discovery Channel, but what most people do not know about Mr. Rowe is that prior to television he was a professional singer with the Baltimore Opera and he has a singing voice that I think will be perfect for the race day rendition.

I believe in the short term, the current popularity of Mike Rowe would help generate some interest in the Indy 500 from people that wouldn’t consider themselves fans of motorsport (which after seeing some IndyCar racing, I believe many will become fans), but more importantly for the long term, I think with Mike Rowe the traditional singing of "Back Home Again in Indiana"
    can be great for another 30 years.

Obviously Mr. Rowe will have to enjoy singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" as much as Mr. Nabors has for almost every year since 1972 for it to be a success, but I think he should be one of the first people that the speedway approaches when the permanent replacement is needed.

I know there are plenty of opinions on TF and though I'm not sure if it is possible that what is said on this forum can influence the decision the Indianapolis Motor Speedway makes concerning this, nevertheless what does everyone else think?

Scott Weiland
    the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Steve Tyler

(ducking)
      "Indycars should be beasts." - Gil de Ferran
      @bigmo500

Comment

There is only one choice for me.

Memorex.
        ...---...

Comment

I think that is one of the reasons they hired Gene Simmons.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
            Dang! You beat me to it.
            It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

The New York City police officer who sang the National Anthem in '03. Sorry, I don't remember his name -- but his voice was POWERFUL!
              "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
                There is only one choice for me.

Memorex.
                Add the Jim Phillipe Taps intro to the fold while we're at it.
                All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
                  Damn, I was too late.

Comment

How much do you want to bet that it will be Hoosier native Sandy Patty?
                    God speed!

Comment

Does Mike Rowe have Indiana connections? I think it needs to be a native Hoosier and well known personality - who can sing. Mellencamp? Not sure his voice is right, but it doesn't get any more Hoosier than him.

Comment

Originally posted by ovalfan01
                        Does Mike Rowe have Indiana connections? I think it needs to be a native Hoosier and well known personality - who can sing. Mellencamp? Not sure his voice is right, but it doesn't get any more Hoosier than him.
                        Why does he have to have Indiana connections? Jim Nabors is from Alabama. I think Mike Rowe would be a fine choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyM
                          Why does he have to have Indiana connections? Jim Nabors is from Alabama. I think Mike Rowe would be a fine choice.
                          Hey, Jim Nabors is great...no, irreplaceable. I'm just saying if you replace him, get a Hoosier to sing "Back Home Again in Indiana". I just think it will have a little more meaning that getting anyone else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyRob
                            Add the Jim Phillipe Taps intro to the fold while we're at it.
                            Jim Phillippe

RIP

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                            www.fairtax.org

Comment

Indiana boy John Mellencamp.
                              "The guys on the IRL side went beyond fair. It would have been easy for either side to back out, but this time they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."..... Jimmy Vasser on the merger.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X