Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindervillain
    replied
    I met Davey Hamilton years ago when I was working for a short track in Carson City, Nv, and he had taken over the reigns of the west coast supermodifieds and was trying to unify them and make some sense out of their program. Which he succeeded at doing, to the amazement of many long time area promoters who had been trying for years.

A couple of years ago I ran into him at an IndyCar race; as we chatted, I was amazed at how familiar he was with the politics and problems in west coast racing, and how many "movers and shakers" he was in constant contact with.

At the time I predicted to friends that Davey Hamilton was going to be a positive force in racing for a long time, particularly the local short track feeders that we so desperately need, and that are largely being ignored by the big guys: IndyCar and NASCAR - not to mention the various sports car series that have always ignored everyone but the local club racers.

It's nice to see one of my predictions coming true - doesn't happen very often. On a list of good guys supporting and growing our sport, Davey is right up there at the top. I think I'd call him one of my heroes - albeit, one of the scrawnier ones.

Leave a comment:

• Outlaw
    started a topic Sort of OT: The Action Track

Sort of OT: The Action Track

There was a caller to Wind Tunnel on Sunday that mentioned this. I have not read anything about it here:

Dorsett, Hamilton and King Look to Revive Legendary Action Track

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Former major league baseball player Brian Dorsett, Open Wheel great Davey Hamilton and motorsports broadcaster Mike King unveiled their plans for 2008 and beyond at the historic Terre Haute Action Track, as DHK Promotions signed a 3-year contract with the Wabash Valley Fair Board on Friday. "Traditional" Action Track events, including the "Tony Hulman Classic" USAC National Sprint Car race, the "SUMAR Classic" USAC Silver Crown event, and the "Hut Hundred" USAC National Midget car race all make their return to the half-mile clay oval.

"This is a great day for me, personally, and for the race fans that have been so faithful to this facility over the last 56 years," said Dorsett, who is a Terre Haute native and a member of both the Indiana Baseball and Indiana State University Hall of Fame. "I spent a lot of memorable days at the Action Track as a kid, and I'm looking forward to helping put the track back on the motorsports map."

DHK Promotions announced a six-race schedule for 2008, along with a major emphasis on the historical significance of the clay half-mile. The '08 season opens on Friday, May 2nd with the running of the Clabber Girl Don Smith Classic presented by Indiana State University. The event will feature the 410 non-wing cars of the Midwest Sprint Car Series. Smith, the Chairman of First Financial Corporation and an avid supporter of racing throughout the Midwest, was the most successful promoter in Action Track history during the 60's and 70's.

"To look at the names of the drivers that have won events at the Action Track...the list reads like a who's who of American racing," said King, who served as the public address announcer at the track from 1989-1997. "It's humbling to be a part of this, it really is. I owe a lot to this place. Announcing at the Action Track was the catalyst for the greatest opportunity of my professional life, and this track is the reason I'm the radio voice of the Indy 500 and the IndyCar Series. I can't wait to call our season opener on May 2nd, and the fact that that race will honor Don (Smith) makes it even more special."

Davey Hamilton, who's return to the Indianapolis 500 and 9th place finish in that race was viewed as one of the all-time great comeback stories in racing history, brings a wealth of knowledge to DHK Promotions as driver, team owner and track promoter. Along with his father, Hamilton has promoted events at Meridian Speedway in Boise, Idaho for the last 20 years.

"We have the opportunity to do something special at the Action Track," said Hamilton. "Tracks with the pedigree of this place are few and far between, and to have my name associated with a place like Terre Haute is special, for sure."

"Our goal is to give fans a great show. When they walk into this place we want them to know how important this track has been in the careers of some great drivers...many of them my heroes when I was growing up."

DHK Promotions is also proud to announce a unique affiliation with Indiana State University and the recently established ISU Motorsports Initiative. The partnership will allow Indiana State students to experience the business of motorsports first hand through interactive participation in the planning and execution of events. This "laboratory" environment will give Indiana State students the opportunity to gain valuable real-time knowledge for the future as they seek employment in a chosen motorsports related field. Indiana State will also use events at the Action Track to inform future students of the opportunities for study in the motorsport field. Action Track fans from around the world will be able to follow every lap of the action during the 2008 season as Crossroads Communications stations ESPN Radio AM-1300 Terre Haute, AM-1130 Brazil and CROC 92.7 FM will serve as the official radio home of event radio broadcasts. In addition to over-the-air broadcasts fans will also hear events live on the internet at www.espnsportsradio.com . WTHI-TV (CBS) will serve as the official television promotional and marketing partner of DHK Promotions, LLC for all events on the 2008 schedule.

DHK Promotions also announced the return of the $25 Infield Family Pass, which is good for up to six members of one family (2 adults and 4 children) for any event, and a new Action Track "Fast Pass" season ticket that will allow fans to pick out their reserved seats for the entire season. The "Fast Pass" will cost $125 and will be good for all six events on the 2008 schedule. "We've got lots of things in store...some things that we'll be able to accomplish in 2008, others that will come down the road," said King.

"We are committed to making the Action Track a premium venue once again. We have already established some great relationships with sponsors that want the same thing for the track… a return to greatness. All of us are very excited about the future." Famed sprint car driver Bubby Jones, who scored 9 feature wins during his driving days at the Action Track, will oversee the restoration of the clay racing surface and will begin re-cutting the track as soon as Indiana weather allows heavy equipment onto the track.

###

2008 Terre Haute Action Track schedule:
    Friday, May 2 The Clabber Girl Don Smith Classic presented by Indiana State University
    Thursday, May 22 The First Financial Bank Tony Hulman Classic presented by Budweiser
    Friday, July 4 The Wolfe's Auto Auction "Run with the Pack Classic" featuring the O'Reilly All-Star Circuit of Champions
    Wednesday, July 23 The First Financial Bank SUMAR Classic presented by Union Hospital and 500 Express
    Friday, September 12 The Monster Energy Modified Classic presented by MacAllister Machinery
    Saturday, October 4 The First Financial Bank HUT Hundred presented by Dorsett Mitsubishi

A Special thanks to our corporate partners:

First Financial Bank Clabber Girl Baking Powder MacAllister Machinery Company 500 Express Dever Distributing / Budweiser Monster Energy Drink Wolfe's Auto Auctions Indiana State University Dorsett Mitsubishi Crossroads Communications WTHI-TV 10
    http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?S...StoryID=240380

:deal: :deal: :deal: :banana31:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X