Safety Truth's Myths Resources etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Truth's Myths Resources etc...

This post evoked zero responses at another forum but seems to be topical here.

If not please move it where it fits.

I am hearing concern about driver safety from some here. Assuming it is genuine I would like to share a list of SAE papers on that subject regarding Indy Car, CART/Champ Car/Atlantics.

Of particular interest would be:

2004-01-3506 : Aerodynamics of Race Car Liftoff 11/30/2004 Paper
    ...attack aerodynamics may influence future safety-related regulations. Therefore, the first...quarter-scale model of an Indy car was tested to generate similar...
    Author(s): Joseph Katz, Robin Sluder, Darwin Garcia

2006-01-3630 : Spine Fractures in Open Cockpit Open Wheel Racecar Drivers 12/05/2006 Paper
    ...investigated with a barrier test of a fully loaded Indy Car at an impact speed of 80 kph. Occupant kinematics...wheel speed. Sled test using a 60 g pulse (Indy Car pulse) and THOR ATD were carried out to verify...
    Author(s): Terry R. Trammell

There obviously has been a lot of research in these areas, these are just papers I have purchased. Anyone can purchase these but they are DRM crippled so don't think you can easily copy them. SAE lives off this revenue and they take copyright seriously.

Enjoy, or not***

983161 : Biomechanical Analysis of Indy Race Car Crashes 11/02/1998 Paper
    ...project in the GM Motorsports Safety Technology Research Program to investigate Indianapolis-type (Indy car) race car crashes using...to investigate Indianapolis-type (Indy car) race car crashes using an on-board...
    Author(s): John W. Melvin, Kenneth J. Baron, William C. Little, Thomas W. Gideon, John Pierce

2001-22-0019 : Development and Field Performance of Indy Race Car Head Impact Padding 11/01/2001 Paper
    ...close-fitting cockpit of the modern Indy car single seat race car has the potential to provide...
    Author(s): John W. Melvin, Henry Bock, Kathryn Anderson, Thomas Gideon

2002-01-3311 : Aerodynamic Effects of Indy Car Components 12/02/2002 Paper
    ...A generic, Indy-type, open-wheel, racecar model was tested in a low-speed, fixed ground...simulation since one of the objectives was to allow flow visualization under the car (and this is not possible with current rolling ground wind tunnel setups). Consequently...
    Author(s): Joseph Katz

2004-01-3515 : Biomechanical Principles of Racecar Seat Design for Side Impact Protection 11/30/2004 Paper
    ...crash recorder based investigations of Indy car crashes. Insights gained from these...seat chassis cars to stock car and sports car seats has led to significant...
    Author(s): John W. Melvin

2004-01-3539 : Brain Injury Prediction for Indy Race Car Drivers Using Finite Element Model of the Human Head 11/30/2004 Paper
    ...evaluate a new tool for assessing brain injury. Many race car drivers have suffered concussion and other brain injuries and are...Motorsports conference, results of a MADYMO model of a racing car and driver driven by 3-D accelerations recorded in actual crashes...
    Author(s): John W. Melvin, Paul Begeman, Liying Zhang

2006-01-3633 : Biomechanical Investigation of Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers during Frontal Impacts 12/05/2006 Paper
    ...spinal loads causing thoracolumbar spinal fractures in Indianapolis-type racing car drivers. Crash reports from 1996 to 2006, showed a total...study focuses on thoracolumbar spine fractures in Indianapolis-type racing car drivers during frontal impacts and was performed using driver medical...
    Author(s): Tara B. Troxel

2002-01-3305 : Mathematical Modelling of Crash-Induced Dynamic Loads on Race Car Drivers 12/02/2002 Paper
    ...A MADYMO model of a racing car and driver was driven by 3-D accelerations recorded in actual crashes. Helmet, belt restraint, and padding characteristics were obtained from dynamics tests. Model results...
    Author(s): John W. Melvin, Paul C. Begeman

2006-01-3663 : Multi-Disciplinary Design of the Champ Car Atlantic Race Car 12/05/2006 Paper
    ...of the Swift 016.a Champ Car Atlantic race car, highlighting particular items of interest...
    Author(s): John Winkler, Chris Norris, Casper Van der Schoot, Neil W. Roberts, Adrian Fazio

2002-01-3350 : Medical and Technical Outcomes of HansSr Use in Cart 12/02/2002 Paper
    ...From past experience, crash accelerations in CART Champ Cars during 2000 and 2001 would have caused head injuries at a 15% occurrence rate and neck injuries at a 7.5% occurrence. In 28 incidents...
    Author(s): Robert P. Hubbard, Terry Trammell

983069 : Predicting the Response of a Cart Car Driver in a Crash Using Mathematical Modeling 11/16/1998 Paper
    ...pulse as measured by an impact sensor implemented jointly by Ford and CART, Inc. The race driver is represented by the Hybrid-III dummy data...loads. The model was exercised using seven crash pulses form the 1997 CART season and results were compared with reported injuries....
    Author(s): Paul Stanecki, Dong Zhun Sin, D. Para V. Weerappuli

2002-01-3350 : Medical and Technical Outcomes of HansSr Use in Cart 12/02/2002 Paper
    ...From past experience, crash accelerations in CART Champ Cars during 2000 and 2001 would have caused head injuries at a 15% occurrence rate and neck injuries at a 7.5% occurrence. In 28 incidents...
    Author(s): Robert P. Hubbard, Terry Trammell

rh

Who's Joseph Katz?

Hoop, where can we at least find the precis of those two aerodynamic papers?
    ... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James

Comment

whoooah....it's the Hoopster! -cap
      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Originally posted by hoop-98
        Of particular interest would be:

2004-01-3506 : Aerodynamics of Race Car Liftoff 11/30/2004 Paper
        ...attack aerodynamics may influence future safety-related regulations. Therefore, the first...quarter-scale model of an Indy car was tested to generate similar...
        Author(s): Joseph Katz, Robin Sluder, Darwin Garcia
        Grabbed this from the SAE site:
        Abstract:
        Recently, the off-design aerodynamics of race cars has gained increased attention due to several incidents involving race car liftoff. Although these incidents are rare and usually are a result of an earlier contact, the study of vehicle's high angle of attack aerodynamics may influence future safety-related regulations. Therefore, the first portion of this study examines available liftoff data in the open literature on a variety of race cars. This data indicates that prototype race cars have a higher lift slope than open-wheel race cars due to their larger underbody area. In the second part of this study a quarter-scale model of an Indy car was tested to generate similar data on an open-wheel race car. Both the previous and current data indicate that race cars under normal racing conditions have sufficient front downforce to eliminate the possibility of liftoff. Only when some sort of collision or other contact lifts the vehicle front by several degrees can the aerodynamic lift overcome the weight of the car and result in an unstable pitch up. The available data suggests that by using less ground-effect dependent front downforce devices, the risk of vehicle liftoff is reduced. In the case of open-wheel race cars, some sort of peripheral bumper limiting wheel entanglement could significantly reduce the chain of events leading to vehicle liftoff.

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2004-01-3506
        ... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James

Comment

Nerf bars!! IndyCar reconnects, at least visually, with spridgets.
          "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
          “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
          "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Move this to the tech forum before I fall asleep please.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Originally posted by paul-collins
              Who's Joseph Katz?

Hoop, where can we at least find the precis of those two aerodynamic papers?

http://sae.org then search for either indy car safety, or Paper number...I would publish these but since I am a former SAE employee, and current member, it would be frowned upon....

rh
              That old possum lost the fight, His sad, black eyes; what a thing to see on a glowing Easter Sunday
              @Hoop98

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff
                whoooah....it's the Hoopster! -cap
                Wherever truth, justice, and the AOW prevail, Hoopster will be there. I have no loyalty to USAC/CART/IRL/CCWS/ICS, only to the racing that somehow exists despite the gross mismanagement of all of the above.

My name is Robert Hooper and I approved this message

rh
                That old possum lost the fight, His sad, black eyes; what a thing to see on a glowing Easter Sunday
                @Hoop98

Comment

Originally posted by Racemind
                  Move this to the tech forum before I fall asleep please.
                  http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sea...earchid=273132

Maybe Ridlin?

rh
                  @Hoop98

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X