4. Scott Goodyear
    5. Buddy Lazier
    6. Robbie Buhl
    7. Davey Hamiliton
    8. Billy Boat
    9. Marco Greco
    10. Steve Kinser

Very cool.
    Last edited by Red Byrd; 03-03-2008, 09:13 PM.

Those cars sound terrible! I have always been an Indy 500 fan...but seriously...the late 90's, early 00's N/A engines were awful. A modern era IndyCar should scream, not rumble.
    i love indycars!!!

Comment

Any one who say that the IRL has failed to grow need to go and watch those videos so they can remember what the IRL was and how far it has come.
      Never Drink and Drive, Use a 3-Iron...

"Call Tony George, sell him your assets and save money, if not open-wheel racing." - Robin Miller to CCWS

http://koorsenmfg.com

http://www.mulsannescorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by iloveindycars
        Those cars sound terrible! I have always been an Indy 500 fan...but seriously...the late 90's, early 00's N/A engines were awful. A modern era IndyCar should scream, not rumble.
        I must disagree with you on this one.

(BTW, the 180deg. cams came out in 2000, all of the field had them by 2001. Races from 2000 are cool because of the different sounds! Check the guys channel, a treasure trove of stuff. Check out some of the old Busch races when they used the V6's... the sprint car stuff is good too)
        Last edited by Red Byrd; 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, I've only heard of like half of the drivers in the line up. Talk about "Old School" IRL days... lol

What ever happend to Buzz Calkins and Billy Boat?

Comment

Ugh! That year was the only time I ever spent at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway when I did not enjoy the experience. My brother and I drove the 1200 mile round trip just to spend hours huddled under the bleachers trying to stay warm for two days waiting for the rain to stop. We were only able to see the 15 laps they ran on Sunday before the rain came in. I hope I never have to relive that weekend.

Comment

The rain was a real downer, but 1997 was a tremendous race, probably my favorite of the old IRL (1996-2002) era.

Comment

I'm right there with ya HopHead...

This was my very 1st 500 at 9 years old. Sat there for 2 days and saw a total of 15 laps before watching it on TV Tuesday because Dad had to work. Either way, my first 500 is one I'll never forget.
                The only place where speed and desire culminate in immortality

Comment

This was my first 500 as a crew member, we never made the green flag as 17 was one of 3 that screwed the pooch in turn 4 on the pace lap. I still remember Giaffone's radio transmission after the crash. F***ING WANKERS! That was all he said.

I have the tire and the broken wheel with the wall bite hanging on my garage wall.
                  Open the pod bay doors, HAL

Comment

"Its yellow out there...Its green on the track. What the f*&( are they doing?"

- Arie Luyendyk, 1997 Indy 500

Comment

Originally posted by HopHead
                      We were only able to see the 15 laps they ran on Sunday before the rain came in.
                      That was Monday. Sunday was a total washout.
                      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                        That was Monday. Sunday was a total washout.
                        That's right. The whole weekend is kind of a blur of listening to weather reports while huddled under the old rickety grandstands they used to put on the inside of turn 3.

Comment

Semi-OT:
                          How is the Indy 500 in any way OT on the "Indy Car Series" forum?

Originally posted by gofastandwynn
                          Any one who say that the IRL has failed to grow need to go and watch those videos so they can remember what the IRL was and how far it has come.
                          I agree, the grid was horrible back then, it's only gotten better over the years. Say what you will about the influx of ex-CART teams, but they added a lot of talent and cred to the series, and it continues to this day.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by ChampcarChuck
                            "Its yellow out there...Its green on the track. What the f*&( are they doing?"

- Arie Luyendyk, 1997 Indy 500
                            I have that on tape. It went out over the air, unbleeped, back before the 5-second delay thing they do today.
                            "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

At the local track the winner takes a victory lap and then they park the top 3 on the front stretch after the feature.

May not be a podium but gives a little more exposure.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X