Lil John Buttera passed away....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil John Buttera passed away....

.... one of the great rodders of our time. He spent a lot of time around Indy in the '80s and was awarded the Clint Brawner Mechanical Excellence Award in 1987.

God Bless John

R.I.P.

Truly a hotrodder's hotrodder.
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

I remember that Buttera and Sammy Swindell came so close to making the 500 in 1987. They ended up as the first alternate using a pushrod Pontiac. It seemed like they rebuilt their engines every night all month long; often right out in front of their garage. While one engine was in the car someone was always working on building up the next one. That was the last time anyone even came close to making the field with a stock block engine.

Comment

The car he helped build on Monster Garage was cool.
        RIP John.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc
          I remember that Buttera and Sammy Swindell came so close to making the 500 in 1987. They ended up as the first alternate using a pushrod Pontiac. It seemed like they rebuilt their engines every night all month long; often right out in front of their garage. While one engine was in the car someone was always working on building up the next one. That was the last time anyone even came close to making the field with a stock block engine.
          I think that motor was a chevy w/NASCAR style pontiac hi-riser heads. Buttera and Swindell had the car as first alternate in the 87' race if I recall. The workmanship on the block was ahead of it's time. Billet oil pan which assisted making the block a stressed member to fit into the chassis. I remember John quoting that the car would do "200 mph-in the corners and in the straights-we can't get anymore mph out of it".

RIP John

Comment

And he made the show comfortably in 1982 with Dennis Firestone.

So long, "Lil' John".
            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X