1st timer - What to do on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st timer - What to do on Saturday

My wife and I are planning on attending our first Indy 500 this year. We plan to get there on Saturday morning, and I was hoping to get some ideas on what to do on saturday.

If any of you 500 vets can provide advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by astrocreep; 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM.
    My Blog:
    www.startinggridnews.com

Drivers meeting, Parade and Camp and Brew

Comment

Definitely The Museum and Track Tour.

Try to get to the south end of the infield to get in line as early as you can, because these attractions are very popular on Saturday. Take the tour before you go into the museum because you can do the museum at your own pace.

But to take a tour bus around The Track the day before The Race?

Priceless!

Comment

Don't know about you, but for me it involves the autograph session, drivers meeting, tenderloins, beer, visits to the IMS museum, and of course, Camp & Brew® ™.

On top of that, about 10 miles away, there's the USAC midgets at Night Before the 500 at Indianapolis Raceway Park (forget this O'Reilly Raceway Park BS), or Silver Crowns at the Marion County Fairgrounds, or the Little 500 in Anderson. Luckily, there's so many possibilities, it's tough to screw it up (unless you acquire a hangover that affects race day :nono: )
        "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

I can't argue with any of the responses so far............but, depending on when you are leaving......if you have time on Monday, do the museum then. It is PACKED the day before the race and it cuts into your time for other things. If you don't have time on Monday..........then definitely do it on Saturday.
          "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
          Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
          www.fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by brickyard1911
            It is PACKED the day before the race and it cuts into your time for other things.
            Like what?

We eat tenderloins and drink beer while we wait in line for the museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul
              Like what?

We eat tenderloins and drink beer while we wait in line for the museum.
              The tenderloins I could handle.............drinking the beer while in line creates other problems for me.
              "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
              www.fairtax.org

Comment

Go to the museum sometime during the weekend. Best $3 you will spend your entire life. I also drink 30 beers on Saturday but that's just me. You can do whatever you want.

Comment

First time

Congratulations!

Be sure to keep us posted on your experience!
                  There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by brickyard1911
                    The tenderloins I could handle.............drinking the beer while in line creates other problems for me.
                    Some in my party have more problems with the tenderloins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul
                      Some in my party have more problems with the tenderloins.

When you grow up with Sliders from White Castle a Tenderloin is nothing!
                      www.fairtax.org

Comment

If you get your tickets from IMS you can call them and they will send you a pass for the garages. They can be used on Saturday.

I know you can't use the passes on Race day, not sure the other days that you can't use them on. I'm sure some on here would know.

We went last year on Saturday, there was not much going in in the garages, but it was still cool because I have never walked around the garages before. All the drivers were at the parade. There were some garages open and we could see in them. We did see Dr. Jack Arute and his crew practicing for race day, he was a very nice guy.
                        No place I'd rather be than IMS in May!

Comment

The Night Before the 500 at Raceway Park....then party Marti Gra style on the infamous mile.
                          " I can tolerate people forming opinions based on ignorance... that happens every day, but don't pass off your ignorance as facts."

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan

On top of that, about 10 miles away, there's the USAC midgets at Night Before the 500 at Indianapolis Raceway Park (forget this O'Reilly Raceway Park BS), or Silver Crowns at the Marion County Fairgrounds, or the Little 500 in Anderson.
                            The Champ Dirt (Silver Crown) Cars run on Friday night at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
                            Last edited by Tim 65; 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM. Reason: can't type

Comment

Originally posted by Tim 65
                              The Champ Dirt (Sivler Crown) Cars run on Friday night at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
                              ....unless there's rain.
                              " I can tolerate people forming opinions based on ignorance... that happens every day, but don't pass off your ignorance as facts."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X