SAFER Barrier question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFER Barrier question?

I know the University of Nebraska came up with it, but I thought Indy Car was the first to use it? From the sounds of the NASCAR race in Vegas, you would think NASCAR developed it.

I was just listening to that as well. People in NASCAR are very careful to NOT say they developed it but that have also never given any credit to IMS/IRL for funding the development.
    --Paul Dalbey
    (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

Originally posted by pdalbey
      I was just listening to that as well. People in NASCAR are very careful to NOT say they developed it but that have also never given any credit to IMS/IRL for funding the development.
      Yep. IMS/IRL funded the University of Nebraska. IMS was out in front of this thing. Remember the first gen product that Luyendyk smashed into?

This is one of my biggest problems with NASCAR. They give no credit to anyone but themselves. Nothing irritates me more than listing to "Gentlemen start your engines at the start of NASCAR race"
      Last edited by Outlaw; 03-02-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdalbey
        I thought IMS and IRL had a big influence. Who was it at the speedway that really saved himself during an IROC race at the Speedway.

Comment

Tony George/IMS teamed up with the U of Nebraska to develop the SAFER barrier. They went through a few variations before ending up with what they have now. The first version was basically black PVC pipe that was cut in half and cabled to the inside of turn 4/entrance of pit road. When somebody eventually hit it, it exploded into a million pieces making for a messy clean-up. NASCAR came late to the party to offer more funding and to get it pushed through to be installed at all the NASCAR tracks.
          "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
          the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
          -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

Comment

Originally posted by owfan19
            I thought IMS and IRL had a big influence. Who was it at the speedway that really saved himself during an IROC race at the Speedway.
            Arie hit the huge chunk of styrofoam at the end off the wall at pit entrance. Not really the "safer barrier" that is on the walls. Is that the one your thinking of?
            Whoever said nothing was impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Comment

Before the outer walls were developed Arie L. (or maybe Buddy L.?) smashed into the inside wall just out of 4. If I recall the hundreds of loose PVC type pipe flew everywhere.
              "There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

"It's not my fault" ~ Danica

Comment

IROC - Arie hit the first generation "soft wall" that had what looked like conveyor belt on the inside of front wall just before pit road. Created a massive debris field and was removed by the next day.

roach

Comment

Yes I think it was Arie. But I thought a safer barier helped him.

Comment

Originally posted by WhirlinGraphics
                    NASCAR came late to the party to offer more funding and to get it pushed through to be installed at all the NASCAR tracks.
                    Translation...NASCAR thought it would be a marketing boon, in addition to saving lives. So they had track owners pay to have it installed.

"There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

Comment

I know the University of Nebraska came up with it, but I thought Indy Car was the first to use it? From the sounds of the NASCAR race in Vegas, you would think NASCAR developed it.
                      If memory serves, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the first to have it installed as well.

They tried a couple of different types during test sessions I believe. The hit Arie took in the IROC car was huge but it wasn't the SAFER. TG and/or IndyCar hasn't ever gotten the credit they deserve for working the the U of N on the project. I believe they helped with funding in a big way.

As is typical though, TG and IMS isn't in business to get pats on the back. Everybody in racing knows who was being it...........especially those in NASCAR.
                      "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                      Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                      www.fairtax.org

Comment

The SAFER Barrier system itself was developed by the University of Nebraska Midwest Safety Center (or some institute name like that) but I'm pretty sure that the funding was mostly, if not entirely, from IMS. I believe IMS started the funding in '98 and NASCAR jumped on board in either 2000 or 2001.

The accident that you are referring to is Arie Luyendyk in the 1998 IROC race. The SAFER barrier was not installed in that case. That was the PEDS system, which didn't last long. The accident showed why that system didn't work - Arie bounced right back into traffic and the wall broke apart all over the track. The fact that he was shot right back into the racing line made that system actually MORE dangerous than just the traditional wall. Here's the YouTube video of that accident...

--Paul Dalbey
                        (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

Yes I think it was Arie. But I thought a safer barier helped him.
                          Yes I believe it did as well. If I recall, it was a heck of an impact, made all the more dramitic by the pipe flying all over. It may have saved his life.

Dizz Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Dizz Fan
                            Before the outer walls were developed Arie L. (or maybe Buddy L.?) smashed into the inside wall just out of 4. If I recall the hundreds of loose PVC type pipe flew everywhere.
                            That was a HARD hit.

Arie Luyendyk Crash Video
                            If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Makes you think that Greg Moore might have benefited from something similar.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X