Per Autoweek...DP-01 designed for ovals and Honda V8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per Autoweek...DP-01 designed for ovals and Honda V8's

I don't even know why I am posting this. I guess because it seems to come up a lot and I have never read definitively one way or the other until tonight.

Anyway, my copy of AutoWeek showed up today. It included an open wheel preview.

The preview included a side-by-side comparo of the Dallara and the DP-01.

The last sentence of the DP-01 section reads:

"Yes, the car was designed to race on ovals and to accommodate Honda's IRL V8 engine, had the opportunity arisen..."
    Last edited by 9rows; 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM.
    http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Hmmm. It still might. I really believe we will see a version of the DP01 in 2010.

Comment

You don't design a car for ovals with a suspended front wing, there has to be 5,000 posts covering this. That said, I am told Newman Haas built oval track suspension pieces and installed a Honda in one and tested it anyway. It would be an easy fix to construct a traditional nose, but it is all moot, the Dallara is the car of the series until probably 2010 and perhaps 2011, as TG mentioned in the PC
      It's always been about the Indy 500!
      I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

well make this #5001 then.

it was merely the first time i had seen something in print that specifically addressed it.
        http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

True professionals given enough time can convert any car to accept any engine and race on any track.

Whether it will be competitive in that effort is another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JBaiza
            Robin Miller said it best after PT cracked a vertebrae at 35 mph in the DP-01, (paraphrasing) 'Kevin wanted Panoz to build a cheap car for him and got exactly what he asked for.'
            What was the price point for the IRL Dallara and what was it for the DP01?

Beyond that, as has been mention countless times (but conveniently overlooked whenever a cheap shot is needed) is that the injury to Tracy's back was determined to have been caused not by the car but by the team having improperly installing the shoulder belts. There was also some question as to whether a back injury previously sustained in Tracy's little golf cart tumble may have contributed.
            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I guess I'm just a sucker who thinks that both series were concerned about safety.

Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
                You don't design a car for ovals with a suspended front wing...
                Really? Why not. Where is it written that you can't?

But consider this. Remember the Penske PC-27. In road course trim it has a nose that looked like this:

However, when run on the ovals, with the twist of a few screws, the nose looked like this:

One car. Two different noses. Just as the Dallara uses a different nose and wing setup depending on the type of track.

So the question is, do you think it might just be possible that the designers of the DP01 - who have said all along that the car was designed from the beginning to be capable of running on ovals - already figured out things that racing forum experts say can't be done?
                "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
                  I guess I'm just a sucker who thinks that both series were concerned about safety.

Careful TD, those kind of even-handed thoughts aren't popular with some folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                    Damn son, that looks like a race car.
                    "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

I don't see them ever using the DP01 for several reasons. However, the main reason is that I don't see them screwing over Dallara like that. Dallara has been really good to Indycar, and I just don't see them not heavily involved in the development of the next chassis. Which isn't to say that Panoz won't be able to participate as well...but I do think that whatever chassis will be/should be a clean sheet design for everyone to give them an equal opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire
                        Damn son, that looks like a race car.
                        And a beautiful one at that. That's what they used to look like, anyway - sleek and sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                          What was the price point for the IRL Dallara and what was it for the DP01?

Beyond that, as has been mention countless times (but conveniently overlooked whenever a cheap shot is needed) is that the injury to Tracy's back was determined to have been caused not by the car but by the team having improperly installing the shoulder belts. There was also some question as to whether a back injury previously sustained in Tracy's little golf cart tumble may have contributed.
                          You're right, I was out of line. Sorry. I've deleted it.
                          "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
                          -John Morley

Comment

...I wouldn't mind a further refined version of the DP01 with the obvious & necessary changes as a model of a future design.
                            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by drdisque
                              True professionals given enough time can convert any car to accept any engine and race on any track.

Whether it will be competitive in that effort is another issue.
                              Near where I live some guy managed to breed a combination donkey and zebra. I'm reminded of that by this post because I happened to drive by the critter this afternoon.

It's amazing what folks can create, with, admittedly, some help, if they put their minds to it.

But conjuring up a purpose for what they've built - now there's the trick.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X