CBS Sportsline Article Spot On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Sportsline Article Spot On

Speculation is a 20- to 22-race schedule will be the end result in 2009, and if George and Kalkhoven are smart, the high-speed oval racing that became the IRL's trademark will comprise a majority of the slate.

The incredible high-speed side-by-side racing at superspeedway ovals like Chicagoland Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Kentucky Speedway and Richmond International Raceway made the IRL one of the most exciting series in all of motorsports.

Building on that excitement and the oval-track tradition of Indy Car racing should be the foundation of the next era of the series. Only after a core of oval races are in place should the most popular road course and street circuit events be added, which would create one of the premier circuits in motorsports. http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/10674301
    I agree with him, but I'm not too hopeful... By 2010, my guess is that better than 50% will be road courses. Personally, I'd like to see about a 70/30 split
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Originally posted by ghost
    I agree with him, but I'm not too hopeful... By 2010, my guess is that better than 50% will be road courses. Personally, I'd like to see about a 70/30 split
    Well, I agree as more than 30% of those exciting ovals just may be more exctement than a mere mortal can tolerate. Keeping a lot of RR events will just increase the anticipation for these ovals and perhaps even help get the gate numbers up.
    Dale Manus

Comment

Originally posted by Dmanus
      Well, I agree as more than 30% of those exciting ovals just may be more exctement than a mere mortal can tolerate. Keeping a lot of RR events will just increase the anticipation for these ovals and perhaps even help get the gate numbers up.

That could also mean that as an oval fan, that I sleep through the 10 road/street courses and tune into just to watch the ovals. If there is no ontrack passing, then how can it be called racing? It's follow the leader isn't it?

Comment

I have found Tony George to be very loyal to people that are loyal to him and remain so, I think he would find it all but impossible to take dates away from oval tracks that have supported the series for years. I don't see any ovals being replaced unless they don't want to be part of the series any longer. I'm guessing it will be a while before there is even a 50/50 mix with 20 races.
        It's always been about the Indy 500!
        I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
          I have found Tony George to be very loyal to people that are loyal to him and remain so, I think he would find it all but impossible to take dates away from oval tracks that have supported the series for years. I don't see any ovals being replaced unless they don't want to be part of the series any longer. I'm guessing it will be a while before there is even a 50/50 mix with 20 races.

I like hearin this
          "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Threewide
            That could also mean that as an oval fan, that I sleep through the 10 road/street courses and tune into just to watch the ovals. If there is no ontrack passing, then how can it be called racing? It's follow the leader isn't it?
            More road courses are coming,... thank God! I would have to say you are right as far as street courses, but natural terrain road course racing is pretty damn exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too

I hope you are right.

It will be easier to believe when I see MIS back on the schedule.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Should have know it was another Pistone "Bring back Ovals" Rant.

Name me a place where oval racing is GAINING in popularity!

NASCAR, Midgets, Sprints, WoO all on the decline. Outside the US(Yes there is a world outside the US) it doesn't even register on the radar screen.
                Host and Executive Producer
                South Florida Motorsports Report

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyvop
                  Should have know it was another Pistone "Bring back Ovals" Rant.

Name me a place where oval racing is GAINING in popularity!

NASCAR, Midgets, Sprints, WoO all on the decline. Outside the US(Yes there is a world outside the US) it doesn't even register on the radar screen.
                  Oh yeah, NASCAR will be dead any day now.

Gee, the game of cricket is very popular worldwide, but I am not aware of anyone in the US giving a darn about it.

Not everyone in the world has to like the same things.

And America liking oval racing doesn't make us inferior to the rest of the world, even though some snobs seem to think so.

Comment

Originally posted by jdessar
                    Oh yeah, NASCAR will be dead any day now.
                    In case you haven't noticed but NASCAR ratings and attendance has been declining the last years

Gee, the game of cricket is very popular worldwide, but I am not aware of anyone in the US giving a darn about it.
                    Actually it is only popular in former British Colonies. Just as Baseball is popular where the US had troops in the early 20th century.

Not everyone in the world has to like the same things.
                    True but Autoracing is popular around the world. Just not Oval....You remember ovals don't ya? Remember when the IRL was 1st concieved as an ALL OVAL series?

And America liking oval racing doesn't make us inferior to the rest of the world, even though some snobs seem to think so.
                    I never said or even implied that the USA is inferior than the rest of the world. So spare me your Xenophobia and refrain from putting words in my mouth.
                    Host and Executive Producer
                    South Florida Motorsports Report

Comment

"The incredible high-speed side-by-side racing at superspeedway ovals like Chicagoland Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Kentucky Speedway and Richmond International Raceway made the IRL one of the most exciting series in all of motorsports."

When has there ever been side by side racing at Kentucky or Richmond?

Comment

Originally posted by ptistheboss
                        "The incredible high-speed side-by-side racing at superspeedway ovals like Chicagoland Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Kentucky Speedway and Richmond International Raceway made the IRL one of the most exciting series in all of motorsports."

That quote was pretty mind-boggling.

Comment

I would like to see a 20-race schedule if that is feasible from a monetary standpoint for the teams to pull off.

12 ovals but no garbage ovals like Loudon or Gateway

4 good permanent road courses, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Elkhart Lake and Laguna Seca.

2 street circuits. I am not a fan of street circuits, but they are necessary. Long Beach and Toronto are fine "events" so they make it. But we don't need 6 of them.

2 wild cards, i am not in favor of a bunch of globe trotting but if necessary, these two races could be used to appease sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by ptistheboss
                            Kentucky

Richmond

Comment

I'd like to see Phoenix, Milwaukee and a couple of other tracks, maybe Iowa, maybe Richmond or some other short oval. Not too many mile paved tracks left.

I'd also like to see Indianapolis, Michigan and Fontana.

Homestead, Chicagoland, Las Vegas, Kentucky and Kansas would be swell too. I think if these cars were "derestricted" Texas would not be a practical track to run them on, sadly.

I think that Cleveland, Road America, Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Laguna Seca and maybe St. Petersburg would round out the schedule.

Four short ovals, three big superspeedways, five 1.5 mile ovals, two street courses, an airport course and five permanent road courses. 20 races, 60/40 split.

Anyone have complaints Texas not withstanding?
                              "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X