explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explanation

I see the term "ride buyer" used here all the time. I have always wondered exactly what that meant. Does it mean the driver is bringing some sort of sponsorship with him and is also being paid to drive by his personal sponsor or does it simply mean what it says, that they paid for the ride? If so, are they really racing and receiving no compensation at all for doing so by any party (sponsor or team)? Thanks for the help.

Unfortunatly this is a part of all motorsports. It means if a driver has money, personal or otherwise they can and will get the job over other drivers who may be better but dont have the dollars. Once in a blue moon a great driver will come out of this situation.

Long story short, Money makes the world go round.
    www.fairtax.org

Comment

That is a bit of a tricky question. Normaly a ride buyer is some rich guy who buys a ride. But here it can be a few different things. There is the regular rich guy ride buyers like Roth. Only he has a bit more respect because he is driving for his own team so that s ok. But if a driver races for years and has faithful sponsors to follow him in his career then he would be a ride buyer. But say if somebody like Stewart or J.Gordon came over with Home Depot and DuPont they would for sure not be looked on as a ride buyer. But also say if R. Doornbos got Harrys House of Hashish to fund him a ride with Minardi or whoever he would be a ride buyer. But if P. Stoddard or whoever went to KLM and said, hey, we have a good Dutch driver who we would like you to sponsor. Then he would still be looked upon as a ride buyer because KLM is also Dutch. But if R. Doornbos got a ride with Penske or Ganassi then he would be looked upon as a real racecar driver.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
        ...if R. Doornbos got Harrys House of Hashish to fund him a ride with Minardi or whoever he would be a ride buyer.
        Wouldn't that be Tomas Enge's sponsor?

I'm sorry, I really am, I just couldn't help it. I'm going to hell...
        "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

At TF it is anyone who is not American.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
            if R. Doornbos got Harrys House of Hashish to fund him a ride with Minardi or whoever he would be a ride buyer.
            I think I passed by that place last month on the way to catch the tram for the RAI convention center
            "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Originally posted by meirafan
              At TF it is anyone who is not American.
              It is with a certain contingent of the posters here. They be pretty quiet lately.

OR, Perahps it is because a few of the CC guys just may kick some of the in house dudes butts once they get a handle on the equipment and tracks.
              Dale Manus

Comment

Most of the time it is used in a negative context to desrcibe someone who is solid in money but maybe not so solid in talent (see: Mayer, Scott). But if the term is defined based on someone who brings money or sponsorship to a team, then there are a few positive examples (see: Hornish Jr., Sam) of this happening.

Comment

A lot of times it simply means "Somebody else got the ride I wanted my guy to get".
                  “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                  I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                  I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X