Speedway Redevelopment Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedway Redevelopment Plan

I searched the word "redevelopment" & didn't find anything, so I apologize if this piece from today has been discussed:

February 29, 2008

Speedway eyes redevelopment plan
    By Josh Duke
    [email protected]
    February 29, 2008

After weeks of studying data and surveys that highlighted high crime and outdated or deteriorating buildings, redevelopment officials turned its newest project -- reinvigorating Speedway's Crawfordsville Road commercial district -- over to its residents.
    Nearly 100 community members discussed the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for the commercial areas along both sides of High School Road from just north of 30th Street south to Crawfordsville Road and along Crawfordsville from I-465 to Lynhurst Drive.
    "In defining the area, we looked at what areas along the commercial corridor we could have an impact on and change for the better," said Vince Noblet, president of the redevelopment commission.
    The project comes less than a year after the community developed a master plan for its first redevelopment area just south of the track.
    Town leaders feel as if this second redevelopment could be more critical to residents of the town than the proposal south of the track.
    The commercial corridor is where most Speedway residents shop for clothing, groceries and other essentials. It also serves as the gateway into the community and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    Yet, much of the entryway has become an eyesore that residents want changed.
    A high-level of serious crime, including murders, homicides and aggravated assaults, particularly at some apartment complexes and hotels near the I-465 interchange leave residents concerned about safety and visitors with a negative perception about the com community, according to data gathered by the project's consulting firm, American Structurepoint.
    Thursday's meeting served as the first public forum to discuss the town's second redevelopment area. The commission will form a steering committee next and by the end of March will host another series of public meetings seeking more detailed input from residents to develop three concept plans.
    Feedback will be sought on those plans leading to a final master plan for the area by the end of the summer, said Scott Harris, executive director of the town's redevelopment initiatives.
    Read more in Saturday's West Indy Star.

Originally posted by MoparsRule
    I searched the word "redevelopment" & didn't find anything, so I apologize if this piece from today has been discussed:

I though the Gangbangers where going to start an Indy car team.

:withstupi
    Last edited by DR_K13; 02-29-2008, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I think the plan sounds good. You can find more info on www.redevelopspeedway.com
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      Groucho Marx

Comment

But the really important thing is how far south are they going? Will they leave the Mug-n-Bun alone?

Comment

Yes, redevelop the area. Then pass an ordinance banning racing in the area because of the noise.

Just a lame joke.

Comment

The one important part of all this
            that I've never seen

who's paying the tab to implement all these great ideas?
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

I think they're talking about TIFF bonds.
              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by DB
                But the really important thing is how far south are they going? Will they leave the Mug-n-Bun alone?
                Is the Mug-n-Bun technically in Speedway? Its the southside of 10th near Lynhurst, right?

Sounds like this is addressing the Crawfordsville Road corridor from 465 to Georgetown.
                It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

There was just a story in today's papers about another redevelopment project in Cicero, Illinois on the site of the former Sportsman's Park. They didn't even mention the former Chicago Motor Speedway, how soon they joined race fans in forgetting.
                  "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                  "They're criminals"
                  "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by midtown
                    Is the Mug-n-Bun technically in Speedway? Its the southside of 10th near Lynhurst, right?

Sounds like this is addressing the Crawfordsville Road corridor from 465 to Georgetown.
                    The City cut off is just behind Mug n Bun, the little Eagle Creek is just behind it, thats the southern border, so to speak......
                    The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

From a fiend of mine who actually attended the meeting......

I went to the meeting. They held off the public hearing for Area 1,which includes these homes, until March 17.

Vince Noblet addressed the audience about the SRC taking those
                      homes. He said the reason why they were targeted was NOT to take
                      them, but to incorporate them into the Redevelopment so they could
                      get funding to redo the landscaping, add street lights and street
                      signs. He also said since this is a corridor into Speedway and they
                      wanted it protected to keep home owners from adding a storefront to
                      their house and run a business from it.

Also, I would like to correct myself. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE MUG-N-
                      BUN!!!!! So everyone's tastebuds can calm down and nobody will be
                      suffering withdrawls! )))
                      The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

Gee, I don't see my mobile home: Oh, it's been replaced by a pedestrian promenade. Guess they are going to make me move. Me and about 60 other residents. Surprise, Surprise!!!!
                        Is it May yet?
                        Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

TIFF = making your kids and grandkids pay for it.
                          "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Comment

I'd be real upset if that promenade is barely used...
                            77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
                            - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

Maybe they will let me sleep on a picnic table. Somehow I don't think that is part of the master plan.
                              Is it May yet?
                              Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X