The Lazy Susan of Speed: A scheduling idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lazy Susan of Speed: A scheduling idea

I think we can all agree that a schedule of 22 races is plenty for a open wheel racing season. Obviously we can't lump all races from the ICS and CC together to have one huge mega schedule so unfortunately some venues are left out. My suggestion is this....why not establish a core event schedule of say 12-15 races and rotate another 5 or so in and out every other year so the tracks left out of the established combined schedule are not lost to the tumbleweeds. How about something like this (in no particular order)...

Core Events Every Year
    Indianapolis 500
    Long Beach
    Milwaukee
    Texas
    Chicagoland
    Michigan
    Cleveland
    Elkhart Lake
    St. Pete
    Nashville
    Kentucky
    Montreal
    Homestead

Events on Rotation - Every Other Year
    Edmonton
    Tronnah/Mosport
    Richmond
    California
    Mexico City
    Monterey
    Sonoma
    Watkins Glen
    Iowa
    Phoenix
    Las Vegas (oval)
    Belle Isle
    For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

...I myself don't care to see any rotating dates, and frankly don't believe it would work anyway. Not to mention that I truely believe that we aren't going to see any more oval races added that aren't already on the schedule. Plus I don't see anything wrong with a 25-race schedule.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

It's hard to build up an audience for your race when you don't have one every other year. Just pick a set group and wave good bye to the rest.

Comment

What Vic said. I don't think this would work, ICJ.

John

Comment

Skipping a year won't work anyplace, no race sponsor will be willing, no track will want to have a year with an empty revenue hole.

It would work for NASCAR because they have two sets of tracks, one with one race and one with two. If they first had a core group that would have one race per year, rc's Indy, a few more then paired up the other tracks geographically and in odd numbered years group A ran two group B one then switched in the even numbered years. Those tracks would have three races in two years, for some an increase for some a decrease and fans of a given track would know which years they would spend more or less to attend.
          "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
          "They're criminals"
          "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

I understand it would be difficult to build fan continuity by skipping every other year. I just thought this would be a good compromise to keep as many tracks in the INDYCar family as possible. Would it be better or worse for race fans in say...Edmonton to have a race every other year or to have no race at all?
            For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

It would be a marketing nightmare to rotate. Despite the unification Open Wheel is still on the bottom of the race food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Indycarjunkie
                I think we can all agree that a schedule of 22 races is plenty for a open wheel racing season. Obviously we can't lump all races from the ICS and CC together to have one huge mega schedule so unfortunately some venues are left out. My suggestion is this....why not establish a core event schedule of say 12-15 races and rotate another 5 or so in and out every other year so the tracks left out of the established combined schedule are not lost to the tumbleweeds. How about something like this (in no particular order)...

Core Events Every Year
                Indianapolis 500
                Long Beach
                Milwaukee
                Texas
                Chicagoland
                Michigan
                Cleveland
                Elkhart Lake
                St. Pete
                Nashville
                Kentucky
                Montreal
                Homestead

Edmonton
                Tronnah/Mosport
                Richmond
                California
                Mexico City
                Monterey
                Sonoma
                Watkins Glen
                Iowa
                Phoenix
                Las Vegas (oval)
                Belle Isle

The way I see it, we have too many venues and not enough teams to race em' all.

My solution- we need two series [one with the ovals, the other with road / street races] to cope with the demand.

...the spice must flow.....

Comment

The FIA is doing this with the WRC and its really stupid.

Comment

Nürburgring and Hockenheim are also doing this in F1.

It is not stupid at all.

Comment

Maybe run Atlantics/Indy jr at those second courses with ALMS or another series.
                      http://thepurginglutheran.wordpress.com/

http://thegatwickview.tumblr.com/

http://thepurginglutheran.tumblr.com/

Comment

Regardless how some may feel Portland should be on the schedule. It has been a success in the past and with 24 years of history it would be a shame to see it die. It only declined in recent years because of the split. With the right promotional direction it could and would return to its former self. While I look forward to the new beginning I am disappointed as I really wanted to see the 25th running this year on the new surface and re-worked corners.
                        I hate it when people compare Senna with god . . . I mean he is okay, but come on he isn't Senna. . .

Comment

I think we can all agree that a schedule of 22 races is plenty for a open wheel racing season.
                          In true-to-trackforum form, you can ALWAYS find someone to argue with you... and I would argue with you on this point. 22 races are NOT ENOUGH. The IRL teams only make money when they are racing. Want to make more money? Race more!

Now, if that costs too much, that is a separate problem needing a separate solution. However, I would be very happy to see the IRL racing 30+ weekends a year.
                          "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Core Events Every Year
                            Indianapolis 500
                            Long Beach
                            Milwaukee
                            Texas
                            Chicagoland
                            Michigan
                            Cleveland
                            Elkhart Lake
                            St. Pete
                            Nashville
                            Kentucky
                            Montreal
                            Homestead

Edmonton
                            Tronnah/Mosport
                            Richmond
                            California
                            Mexico City
                            Monterey
                            Sonoma
                            Watkins Glen
                            Iowa
                            Phoenix
                            Las Vegas (oval)
                            Belle Isle
                            I say run all of races above just start season earlier like the weekend before superbowl and run until mid to late Sept thats 35-36 weeks 31-32 weeks taking the 4 weekends at Indy out.
                            Big Hoosier Daddy
                            IRL for Life

Comment

Originally posted by Big Hoosier Daddy
                              I say run all of races above just start season earlier like the weekend before superbowl and run until mid to late Sept thats 35-36 weeks 31-32 weeks taking the 4 weekends at Indy out.
                              Start the first week in January. Race fans are STARVED for something to watch during the first 6 weeks of the year. What is the worst that would happen... 1.0 ratings?!
                              "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X