ENGINES for Indy Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGINES for Indy Cars

OK this has probably been talked about somewhere in another post but I haven’t seen it.

Anyway this is what I got from the press conference yesterday about engines. These questions and answers are not exact but close.

Q. Tony what kind of cars and engines are you going to have in the future… Are you going to have Turbos.

A. We are looking at a lot of different ideas Turbos may or may not be part of it …. We are looking at new technologies…..We are looking at alternative fuels. Etc. etc.

Q. Kevin what is going to happen to Cosworth now that they are not supplying engines to champcar?...

A. Cosworth has many clients other than champcar. We provide specialty engines for many other companies….. We are working on new contracts and developing some New and exciting techologies……etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think I am going out on a limb here to say that Cosworth is going to be a player in New engines for the future. We all know this and we all know that Indy Car has always been the leader in technology. I noticed a bunch of other stuff but will post later. Any thoughts? Go getem open wheelets

I still don't understand why TG let Cosworth slip away - I thought it was a purchase that he was destined to make when it became available.

Comment

I still don't understand why TG let Cosworth slip away - I thought it was a purchase that he was destined to make when it became available.
      Probably because Tony doesn't want to own an engine company. He wants auto manufacturers to be in the series. Currently there is only one, but they want more.
      Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Heck, try some equivilancy formulas to get more engines in the series. While you're at it lessen downforce and narrow the tires.
        A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

I caught that as well but I wouldn't begin to venture a guess on what "new technologies" they're talking about.

Turbos make a lot of sense as a way to get the cars back to sounding the way they should. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 liter V8 with a turbo that revs to 17k.

Basically, I would like to see more interesting technology used in the cars but it is important to make car control dependent on driver skill and not gadgets.
          Read Studs Terkel

Comment

Originally posted by Hurling Frootmig
            I caught that as well but I wouldn't begin to venture a guess on what "new technologies" they're talking about.

Turbos make a lot of sense as a way to get the cars back to sounding the way they should. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 liter V8 with a turbo that revs to 17k.

Basically, I would like to see more interesting technology used in the cars but it is important to make car control dependent on driver skill and not gadgets.
            We can't have auto races unless the engine sound right?

Comment

We dumped the turbos for reasons. Why on earth would we want to go back to the problems of the turbos when you can have the performance you want with a NA engine.

1. It is so darn hard to regualate manifold pressure on a turbo engine. Just a small difference in MP will make wild changes in power. Compare that to the NA engines with a rev. limit. There is only so much one can do to make power with 3.5 liters at a set RPM. You can only pump a certain amount of air with that setup. Let's keep what we have and never again consider the stupid pop-off valves as a way to regulate power.

2. The turbos are complex and they fail. If I had a buck for every turbo failure I watched during IndyCar events, I'd be set for life.

3. The concept that the IndyCar "sound" is of a 2.65 liter turbo is just goofy. I've been around Indy long enough to consider the IndyCar sound to be just about anything from a 350 Chevy stock block to a turbo Offy.

Comment

"Turbos make a lot of sense as a way to get the cars back to sounding the way they should."

How should race cars sound? Some here will tell you that a race car should sound like an offy or a Novi.

Comment

1. It is so darn hard to regualate manifold pressure on a turbo engine. Just a small difference in MP will make wild changes in power. Compare that to the NA engines with a rev. limit. There is only so much one can do to make power with 3.5 liters at a set RPM. You can only pump a certain amount of air with that setup. Let's keep what we have and never again consider the stupid pop-off valves as a way to regulate power.
                  Pop-off valves are already gone. Electronic boost control is now quite competent to maintain MP.

2. The turbos are complex and they fail. If I had a buck for every turbo failure I watched during IndyCar events, I'd be set for life.
                  Technically, you would only have had 1 year (1996) to collect those dollars for turbo failures during "IndyCar" events...and they weren't "IndyCar" then. So you'd be quite broke.
                  Secondly, please list the turbo failures that have occurred on the Cosworth engine in the last 3 years of Champ Car events....you'd be lucky to be able to purchase a single beer.

Outdated arguments that don't stand up.
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Tony has attended the alternative racing fuel conference that Peter De Lorenzo (Autoextremist) was promoting a while back. I believe they are interested in possibly getting manufacturers of alternative fuel engines involved. (hydrogen, electric, air...etc) or at least looking into that possibility. That would return Indy and Indy Car racing to being a proving ground for automotive technology and returning some automotive competition to the series.

I believe Tony is keeping everything on the table at this point, that is why he did not out right reject turbos, but I don't believe they are seriously considering a return to a turbo formula.
                    Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Sorry, wrong info!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester
                        Pop-off valves are already gone. Electronic boost control is now quite competent to maintain MP.

Technically, you would only have had 1 year (1996) to collect those dollars for turbo failures during "IndyCar" events...and they weren't "IndyCar" then. So you'd be quite broke.
                        Secondly, please list the turbo failures that have occurred on the Cosworth engine in the last 3 years of Champ Car events....you'd be lucky to be able to purchase a single beer.

Outdated arguments that don't stand up.
                        I am betting those electronic devices can be fooled just like Honda and Ford did in 2001 by designing their plenums to do so.
                        Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Set a maximum displacement for racing engines, and a maximum displacement for stock blocks and have the turbo displacement limit based on boost in atmospheres times displacement.

For example, a 3.4 litre normally aspirated engine would compete against two litres boosted to ~51 inches.
                          "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Shouldn't the Honda statement that they were uncomfortable about being able provide enough engines, if the thirty or more teams do show up, offer other car companies a real reason to jump back in?
                            Heck, they could just badge the Ilmor at first.
                            "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                            -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan_Weber
                              We dumped the turbos for reasons. Why on earth would we want to go back to the problems of the turbos when you can have the performance you want with a NA engine.

3. The concept that the IndyCar "sound" is of a 2.65 liter turbo is just goofy. I've been around Indy long enough to consider the IndyCar sound to be just about anything from a 350 Chevy stock block to a turbo Offy.
                              Ummm no.

1. Engine management systems can do quite a nice job at managing pressure. Things have improved since the days of the old pop off valves.

2. Turbo failures were pretty rare in the Champcar series. I don't believe you would be set for life. Perhaps set for a hamburger and fries from Burger King over the course of a season . . . maybe. Probably not even that.

3. The peak of the sport occurred with the turbo formula. I think the cars sound more interesting. The turbo Offy's sounded so much better than the present formula in my opinion that it's not even funny. IndyCar engines should be high revving high tech monsters. Anything less says NASCAR and I think that IndyCar needs to show that they're like agile fighter jets rather than B-52 bombers (nascar is the b-52 and IndyCar is the fighter jet).
                              Read Studs Terkel

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X