Just give me Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just give me Racers

It's been a long 12 years. I admit the last two or so years has seen me post little, because there was nothing more to be said and I was growing weary. Now, it's over. It may not be over the way we want (IRL surrender or a return to the 1970s version of AOWR), but it is over.

Since USAC ran Indy cars on road courses, I guess I could stomach some. Just PLEEEEASE keep street racing to a minimum.

I've been reading the posts, debating with myself over the percentage of ovals and road/street courses, but I've finally come down to this.

Just give me drivers who WANT TO BE HERE.

I don't want some young American hot shoe that shows a bunch of promise in Indy cars but would rather be in NASCAR.

I don't want some road racer who whines about ovals and openly pines away for a F1 ride.

I want RACERS in the IRL who LIVE TO WIN THE INDIANAPOLIS 500.

I want racers who grew up watching Rick Mears, Danny Sullivan, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jr., Emerson Fittapaldi, and Arie Luyendyk while learning from their elders about the rich history of American Open Wheel Racing.

I want racers who want to win the Indy 500 and have their names supplant AJ Foyt, Al Unser, Rick Mears, Mario Andretti, Gordon Johncock, Johnny Rutherford, and Bobby Unser in the record books.

I want racers who cry at a dream realized when they pass rookie orientation at Indy.

I want racers who pray, work hard, and try every day to earn and keep a ride in the Indy Cars.

I want racers who LIVE to drive into Turn 1, Lap 1, on pole day at 230 and not lift.

I want racers who realize that blocking on road courses and ovals is unsportsmanlike conduct, and will try to find the "right" way to pass.

I want racers who don't mind racing inches apart, and have the brains, courage, and character to do so.

I don't care if these drivers are American bred, or foreign born. I don't care if there are 10 ovals and 10 road/street courses.

Just give me DRIVERS who make it their life's PASSION to win the Indy 500.

And, please give me owners who realize that the whole of AOWR revolves around the Indianapolis 500 and give me owners who are smart enough to HIRE the drivers who fit the above bill.

The split is over.

The Indy 500 butters AWOR's bread.

Keep this series Indy 500-centric and I will be happy.

Drop the flag.

preach it brother!

GREAT POST!

Comment

Helio Castroneves has said he wants to be the first guy to win Indy 5 times. With two down already and driving for Penske, he's in a position to do it if he plays his cards right. And he's one of the few modern drivers who really, genuinely seems to be having SERIOUS FUN driving race cars. Sure seems like a Racer to me!
      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Comment

:applause:

Comment

Perfect words!!

Comment

Great post MS.

Comment

MS... I think I'll go ahead and give your post as my pick for "post of the year"!

I agree, I want drivers who WANT to be here. I got sucked into Hornish saying he wanted to be the next Rick Mears.... but then said he wanted to be like Foyt and Andretti and try other disciplines. At his age, I believe Hornish could have been the next BIG NAME open wheel driver. Right now he's just a mid-pack stock car driver. But if memory serves me correctly, didn't he switch to Cup about the same age as Stewart did???

That's one thing about a driver like Kanaan... I don't picture him leaving Indycar racing... Dixon either.

Just hope now with the added teams from CC we see more of the IPS talent move up, since there are more rides available.. because it seems the IPS is becoming loading with talent!

Comment

AMEN!!!

unfortunatly the only way to get real RACERS into irl seats is to develop them in a feeder like the IPS.

REAL RACERS IN IPS- checkbook drivers = REAL RACERS IN IRL

its rediculous a driver should have to bring money to get a ride, I understand that is the sad reality at this point but am confident those days will end eventually and the guys who have earned the seat time get it...

find a fresh college grad to chase the sponsor money.

Comment

If we want to get drivers who live to win the 500.

The 500 must become what it used to be, we must put the prestige back into the 500 to make it something that ALL drivers want to aspire to win.

I want the 500, and the drivers to be the pinnacle of American open wheel racing. Where they come from, does not matter. All that matters is that they have a positive attitude and come to race.

Great post btw

Comment

We have ALL taken this split, and what side we were on, way to personally, in the end, whatever the side, whatever the series, they are all just racers, and all they want to do is race one car against others and see who can win.
                      It's always been about the Indy 500!
                      I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by TheIceManHB
                        AMEN!!!

unfortunatly the only way to get real RACERS into irl seats is to develop them in a feeder like the IPS.

REAL RACERS IN IPS- checkbook drivers = REAL RACERS IN IRL

its rediculous a driver should have to bring money to get a ride, I understand that is the sad reality at this point but am confident those days will end eventually and the guys who have earned the seat time get it...

find a fresh college grad to chase the sponsor money.
                        In my opinion this is yesterdays thinking. It would be nice to have a feeder system that regularly develops drivers and moves them up. If the interest grows, you'll have many more junior league teams that can find sponsorship to help young drivers.

However, if as posted elsewhere the perception in the racing world was 'I must win Indy' or that an Indy 500 win goes at the top of a drivers resume, fewer drivers will see it as a stepping stone and more will see it as the ultimate goal.

In those circumstances you will have drivers coming the other way to get a shot at Indy. Hopefully the day is not too far off.

Comment

Originally posted by MesaMarin
                          Perfect words!!
                          What he said, and Thank you!!!

Comment

MS:

word
                            ...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

Agree 100% with everything you said, with 1 exception:

Originally posted by MS
                              I want racers who realize that blocking on road courses and ovals is unsportsmanlike conduct, and will try to find the "right" way to pass.
                              I believe a driver who fits your description perfectly, Al Unser Jr., won Long Beach 4 or 5 years in a row by skillful blocking.

On ovals, at 220 MPH, you're right, blocking is totally unacceptable. But on a road/street course, it's an indispensible tool in the driver's toolbag.
                              "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X