Clear All

• Johnny Herbert to the Indy 500

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.cf...7650&series=18

Another cherrypicker?
    Who will he race for?
    Can he win?
    Is this good for the 500?
    Is this good for the IRL?

"The concentration required for driving on an oval is, in some respects, more demanding because the races are longer and the speeds are so much higher," he said. "It's made more difficult because you are passing a lot of cars consistently through the race. From my experience in testing, I've no worries about the proximity of the walls, but I haven't hit one yet. Maybe then I'll change my mind!"
    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I can't wait to see Indy 500 on May![*]http://te1tmb.freeservers.com/images/dogg.jpg
      Is it May yet?
      Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Originally posted by Ted:
        <STRONG>http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.cf...7650&series=18

Another cherrypicker?</STRONG>
        So, let me get this straight: Jim Clark was a great Indy champion, but this guy is just a cherry-picker, right? Hmmm...
        "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Johnny Herbert and Jim Clark in the same breath?

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan:

So, let me get this straight: Jim Clark was a great Indy champion, but this guy is just a cherry-picker, right?
            Jim Clark was a great Indy champion, and by the generally accepted definition of the term, he was also a cherry-picker.

GV

Comment

Herbert has actual credentials.I don't mind this sort of cherrypicker and the 500 has always welcomed them.Some people may try to make something out of this,but Herbert in the 500 does not make some sort of political statement.All it does is say the 500 is still the 800 pound gorilla of the racing world.

I'm very curious to see what car he drives,if in fact this really happens.I guess we'll all stay tuned.
              Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandView:
                <STRONG>Jim Clark was a great Indy champion, and by the generally accepted definition of the term, he was also a cherry-picker.

GV</STRONG>
                Lets not forget, the Indy 500 is an invitational race. If Herbert gets in, then it must be at the blessing of Tony G. No different than others years except when the 25/...... well you know.
                Brian W Keske
                bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
                -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I believe the invitations go to the teams, not the drivers. It would seem likely that Herbert already has a deal in his pocket with a team that has such an invitation.

Comment

Exactly. And I would hardly call a team to be invited a 'cherry picking' situation. It still has the acceptance of TG.

There have been many drivers over the years to run at Indy, but none of the other 'Indy' series races.
                    Brian W Keske
                    bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
                    -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When Jim Clark raced at Indy 63 - 67), wasn't Indy considered as part of world drivers championship - or whatever it was called? If so, would be hard to call him a cherry picker as he earned points towards his series for Indy participation. Same with Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart.
                      Kevin Kalkhoven on Champ Car: "The amount of money we're spending is very little overall and I can afford to run this thing forever."

Comment

The Indy 500 was counted as a round in the F1 World Championship from 1950-1960. This was because in the early years all the Grands Prix were in Europe and it needed a race on another continent to count as a 'world' title. By 1960 GPs had been held in the States, Argentina and even Morocco so the 500 was not needed.

As you will all have noticed, ironically the 500 ceased to be a Championship round just as the Eurpoeans became interested.

As for Herbert - he was a superb driver, but was never the same after someone forced him off at Brands in 1988 and shattered his legs. Even then, good enough to win 2 more GPs than Eddie Cheever...
                        "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

thanka, couldn't recall the years involved. The thre driver I cited all competed mid to late 60's.
                          Kevin Kalkhoven on Champ Car: "The amount of money we're spending is very little overall and I can afford to run this thing forever."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X