Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new 300MPH barrier: 1/8 mile

https://www.nhra.com/news/2022/nhra-...300-18-program

A lot of teams are getting super close and given how the shift in drag racing continues to 1/8 mile at most venues, I wonder what this might ultimately mean for the NHRA and nitro folks. I know there's a big group of people who stopped following after the cut to 1000ft, but I almost wonder if getting back to 1/8 mile runs could in some way preserve parts and make it easier for the little guys/leakers.

I think the official racing length will be 1/8th eventually. The NHRA has cast its lot with the violent launch with manicured tracks, and they will be too fast for insurance at 1000ft. someday. We'll see how it plays with the fans.
    I live my life 4.048 miles at a time.

Comment

When things get too fast for 1000ft, it's time to slow the cars down. The show is already so fast it can barely be followed. I've recently been starting to see people claim it's time to throw out Top Fuel and make Top Alcohol the top class.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post
        When things get too fast for 1000ft, it's time to slow the cars down. The show is already so fast it can barely be followed. I've recently been starting to see people claim it's time to throw out Top Fuel and make Top Alcohol the top class.
        Thing is, 1/8 mile racing is becoming normative in other variations of drag racing. You turn on Flo to watch any of the events there (usually some form of pro-mod event or nostalgia funny car) and they're more often than not running 1/4 mile. I get the why - most of the good stuff happens in the first 660 and the rest is just a chance to blow stuff up. I'm not saying that's inevitable, but people like the sound and fury of the nitro cars and its tough to get rid of them for that purpose.

Comment

Top Alcohol dragster allows for nitro, just not supercharged(and such engines are frankly quickly becoming the norm in the class). I think this is why the people who don't want to see the show get shorter are so big on it - they retain at least SOME of that big bang nitro fury. They could also still get a bit faster before becoming too fast for the full quarter mile.

Comment

They (TAD/TAFC) could also still get a bit faster before becoming too fast for the full quarter mile.
            I'm wondering where that limit is. There are other aspects of the alcohol classes that keep speeds down, like driver-operated clutches and shifting. Aerodynamic cars like Pro Stock and Pro Mod are work to slow from 220+ at quarter-mile. It's an issue that won't get easier to solve.
            I live my life 4.048 miles at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post

I'm wondering where that limit is. There are other aspects of the alcohol classes that keep speeds down, like driver-operated clutches and shifting. Aerodynamic cars like Pro Stock and Pro Mod are work to slow from 220+ at quarter-mile. It's an issue that won't get easier to solve.
              My entirely unqualified(I MIGHT be getting into a dragster next season, but until then I have insufficient directly relevant experience) opinion is that hitting 300MPH at 1,000 feet is when things are getting too fast for the quarter-mile(regardless of available shutdown area). Top Fuel was well past that when they cut the distance.

Comment

My entirely unqualified(I MIGHT be getting into a dragster next season, but until then I have insufficient directly relevant experience) opinion is that hitting 300MPH at 1,000 feet is when things are getting too fast for the quarter-mile(regardless of available shutdown area). Top Fuel was well past that when they cut the distance.
                It's a combination of things; not just runoff space, but also tires. Those things don't have an infinite band of speeds they can run across. AFAIK they were always rated at a maximum of 350, and I have little doubt that if the rules were opened up a smidge and we went back to 1/4 mile, 350 is easily achievable by current cars. Dom Lagana ran at 344 on one of the last 1/4 mile speed runs a few years back. Doubt the cars got any slower since then and he was rarely in contending equipment when he did the run.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X