X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitrofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Fueler
    When we built Las Vegas Motor Speedway, we built all the substructure and infrastructure for an additional two lanes to be added in the future. Richie Clyne has long felt that the key to successful future drag racing tv is to have two sets of strips immediately adjacent to each other so there is no break in the action.

If you look at an aerial photo of "The Strip at LVMS" you can see exactly where the additional two lanes will go, just east of the current strip.

so a bad lane could be cleaned up while the other pair was in operation? sounds dangerous - but I'm interested in live tv so tell me more!

Leave a comment:

• MD-IRLFAN
    replied
    I've been reading the book, Super Stock - Drag Racing the Family Sedan by Larry Davis. It covers S/S drag racing from it's beginnings in the mid 50's through to '68. In the late 50's there were several dragstrips that ran four cars at a time. This was mostly due to the growing car counts and facilities at the time didn't yet think about lights so they had to think of some way to get all the racing in. The book has a few pictures of four cars launching off the line. Scary! Oh yeah, that was back when they still used a flagman to start.

Leave a comment:

• flatlander_48
    replied
    I do remember a photographs of 3 or 4 fuelers doing burnouts simultaneously. However, I have no idea if it was just a promotional thing or an actual competition.

Leave a comment:

• Fueler
    replied
    When we built Las Vegas Motor Speedway, we built all the substructure and infrastructure for an additional two lanes to be added in the future. Richie Clyne has long felt that the key to successful future drag racing tv is to have two sets of strips immediately adjacent to each other so there is no break in the action.

If you look at an aerial photo of "The Strip at LVMS" you can see exactly where the additional two lanes will go, just east of the current strip.

Leave a comment:

• carl s
    replied
    Sounds pretty scary

Leave a comment:

• nitrofan
    replied
    do a googe search on 'four-lane dragstrip' you'll find some stuff about Bruton Smith and las vegas motor speedway.
    I don't think it's ever been done but that doesn't mean it hasn't.
    I don't think it's a good idea though.

Leave a comment:

• tcsparky
    started a topic Mult-Lane track?

Mult-Lane track?

While I'm an IRL/F1 fan, I will watch drag racing on TV and I had a question for you true straight line enthusiasts. Is there or have there ever been any drag strips with more than two lanes?

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X