Atlanta Dragway closing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta Dragway closing down

I was sad to learn that Atlanta Dragway, the long-time home of the NHRA Southern Nationals, hosted its last national event over the weekend, and that it will shut down at the end of the year after being sold off by the NHRA to a group of developers. This was initially reported back in January by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and other sources, so my finding out about this four months later should say a lot about how much I follow drag racing anymore. Back when there were fewer events, and each one mattered that much more, I was really into drag racing, and for your Hoosiers on here, you'll remember that Atlanta Dragway was the place where Whiteland racing legend Bob Glidden had his scary finish line crash at the 1986 Southern Nationals.

Between this and Englishtown, we've lost two highly active drag strips that hosted NHRA national events in the last five years. Not a good sign.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

This is too bad, and a sign of the times that there is a population explosion - compared to the "population explosion" times of the 70s.

Road Atlanta is getting surrounded by development, as is to a lesser extent, Road America. Won't be long before people complain to local elected officials....
    No signature required

Comment

If the local elected officials gave more of a rat's rump about doing what's right instead of what gets their sorry butts reelected, a lot of racetracks would still exist and a lot of others would not be endangered. But you know how that crap goes.
      GO DANICA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Round Robin View Post
        If the local elected officials gave more of a rat's rump about doing what's right instead of what gets their sorry butts reelected, a lot of racetracks would still exist and a lot of others would not be endangered. But you know how that crap goes.
        What exactly should the local elected officials do?

Comment

Is there a specific reason to think that NHRA is doing much other than cashing an asset?
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
            Is there a specific reason to think that NHRA is doing much other than cashing an asset?
            I get the impression that the NHRA is in a much more precarious financial position than any of the other professional sanctioning bodies. If selling a chunk of property in a hot real estate market helps their bottom line, it is what it is I guess.

Comment

The Glendora property went on the market too. It's been reported that most daily operations are moving to IRP.

Unless NHRA had millions of dollars they never reported to the IRS (it's a 501(c)(6) entity that makes public reports), they're in big trouble after 2020. NHRA operated on sanction fees, spectator income, competitor fees, and corporate sponsorships. They don't net any TV income. The 2018 tax info says NHRA had a surplus of $1.5M and an annual income of $93M. So they were spending almost all of the $93M (which is appropriate for a non-profit).

AFAIK NHRA fell into track operation to protect key national event locations like Indy, So Cal, and Atlanta/Coca Cola. I go back far enough to remember when NHRA was compelled to take over the Indy facility because it was nearly derelict between each US Nationals.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Add Houston Raceway Park to the list. Will close at the end of this season
                https://racer.com/2021/07/14/nhra-ho...close-in-2022/
                BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Great...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X