No announcement yet.

NHRA sues Coca-Cola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coca-Cola already burned the bridge and the water.
    Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
      Reading that Coke sponsored the series since 2001 thru their various drinks brands....I can see why the NHRA is desperate to keep them onboard. They will be in no position to replace that type of money. Problem for NHRA is that even if they win the lawsuit they pretty much will have burned their bridges with the Coca Cola Company and they will be gone forever....
      They're already gone forever. This is a matter of extracting something from Coke for what the NHRA feels is a breach of contract. We're all speculating about what the specific language of the contract is. "Performance" is just one of many clauses in a contract that could trigger an early exit.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

This lawsuit is not a good look for potential replacement sponsors.
        Last edited by TommyTipover; 09-24-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It's even possible that the Coke position on this is to breach the contract, make the NHRA sue, and the settle for less money than the remainder of the contract (as waiting for a lawsuit to be completed in the courts might take so long as NHRA would be insolvent as a result). So there's that too.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
            It's even possible that the Coke position on this is to breach the contract, make the NHRA sue, and the settle for less money than the remainder of the contract (as waiting for a lawsuit to be completed in the courts might take so long as NHRA would be insolvent as a result). So there's that too.
            I'd say even before the NHRA/Coke lawsuit, the series was in trouble...the top classes, while they are spectacular to watch, have no relevance to whats on the road these days.

Comment

I'd say even before the NHRA/Coke lawsuit, the series was in trouble...the top classes, while they are spectacular to watch, have no relevance to whats on the road these days.
              There is some truth in what you're saying, but then again when was Top Fuel ever relevant to what is on the road, followed by Funny Car? Pro Stock on the other hand is the (relatively) simple fix of moving Factory Stock Challenge into the slot Pro Stock currently occupies. FSC is closer to the original intent of Pro Stock, they're more fun to watch than the current Pro Stock, and the Big 3 all offer "drag pack" versions of regular production cars.

Comment

I question this when ticket sales haven't been that much of a problem for the series. Eyeballs will win out over road relevance, there's value there regardless.

I think the NHRA's independent days are probably over, though. I don't know who would buy them specifically, but someone's going to.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

I question this when ticket sales haven't been that much of a problem for the series. Eyeballs will win out over road relevance, there's value there regardless.

I think the NHRA's independent days are probably over, though. I don't know who would buy them specifically, but someone's going to.
                  IMHO, NHRA's insistence on having live broadcasts has killed them. They built an audience over decades of Diamond P Sports produced 60 or 90 minute produced highlights shows that could be played at times not tied to the running of the events. Plus the format of a NHRA National Event is not conducive to live television; there is too much down time between the loud cars and delays by oildowns are an inevitability.

Comment

We're all speculating about what the specific language of the contract is. "Performance" is just one of many clauses in a contract that could trigger an early exit.
                    There's no way that the contract covers the current environment and NHRA'S response in detail. It's as bizarre as an alien invasion, and just as likely to be specifically covered under contract. Coca-Cola will be arguing that the current NHRA national event program is so different from what they were sold that it nullifies the contract, regardless of the specific language of the contract.

Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

Penske or the Frances?
                      Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

Penske or the Frances?
                        I was thinking more of an entertainment company. I could see Penske doing it but for some reason my brain went to Feld, even though they're probably not interested after basically killing off the IHRA.

Maybe Fox, who now has a big investment in the TV side of things long-term, would step up?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post

IMHO, NHRA's insistence on having live broadcasts has killed them. They built an audience over decades of Diamond P Sports produced 60 or 90 minute produced highlights shows that could be played at times not tied to the running of the events. Plus the format of a NHRA National Event is not conducive to live television; there is too much down time between the loud cars and delays by oildowns are an inevitability.
                          NHRA was probably the easiest motorsport to compress into a 1 hour show and not lose any of the action since each race basically last less than 10 seconds.
                          I don't think that was the reason why they audience lost interest though.
                          I think drag racing underwent a renaissance of renewed interest in the 90's and early 2000's. You had new categories like import drag racing and then you had those various shows on TV on channels like SpeedTV where people raced souped up street cars, When those disappeared so did whatever attempts the NHRA had to capitalize on renewed audience attention disappeared along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

Penske or the Frances?
                            SMI since they actually own a pile of drag strips seems the obvious fit.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post

SMI since they actually own a pile of drag strips seems the obvious fit.
                              They're also the one major track operator not to own a series.
                              Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

Comment

Feld scares me. Sportsman is likely gone and the legitimacy of the pro races would always be an open question (especially if they own all the top cars a la Monster Jam).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X