Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with John Force - not registered for the NHRA return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

Drag racing already is mostly a participation sport. Very few participants at the NHRA national level break even; they're hoping to not go broke before they die.

Nitro cars could be dialed back for longer life and lower cost; the current problem/challenge now is that there isn't much point in bringing a dialed back car to a national event and getting kicked in the nuts and sent home early by a Force or Schumacher car that's completely rebuilt every time it comes back to the pits.

There are several "nostalgia" nitro groups that race as a hobby. Almost all of these teams would run NHRA nationals if the same budget would get them into the show.
    Just looking at this past weekend's field, Alex Miladinovich and Mike McIntire were Nostalgia Funny Car guy who made the move up. They also somehow managed to drag a bunch of retired drivers and teams out: Paul Lee, Alexis DeJoria, Cory Mac, Dale Creasy, etc. For me personally, and this is no knock on John Force, but I'm kinda OK with people who got driven away because they couldn't compete destroying equipment getting a chance. I've been in this subforum asking for awhile how it might be possible to create a circuit for nitro cars that would allow the leakers of the old days to make money outside national events, and maybe this is the first step to that.

Comment

If John Force retires, JFR might possibly become Robert Hight Racing. He's married to one of John's daughters and a vice-president of JFR.
      I doubt John Force lost ALL his sponsors. I would think there would have been an announcement from JFR or the sponsors if that were the case.

Comment

It"s still AJ Foyt Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports.
        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

I think the ides is if JFR's lost all their sponsors, all of the $ is leaving drag racing and this is a farewell tour for American drag racing (i.e. what hope is there for lesser teams?)

Related thought: If drag racing fails in America, what country's series becomes the new world major league of drag racing?
          Drag racing is still strong in the U.S., just not the NHRA Professional classes. I'm not sure if small tire, "no prep" racing would draw the crowds like nitro does, but the cars aren't cookie cutter and they often take the long way around to get down the eighth mile or quarter mile.
          “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post

Drag racing is still strong in the U.S., just not the NHRA Professional classes. I'm not sure if small tire, "no prep" racing would draw the crowds like nitro does, but the cars aren't cookie cutter and they often take the long way around to get down the eighth mile or quarter mile.
            NHRA pro level racing is like watching a rocket launch, its awesome to watch but its something that isn't really attainable to the masses.

Comment

There are a lot of door cars that run comparably to NHRA Pro Stock; Pro Mod cars are more powerful and faster. The biggest obstacle to.other entrants in blown nitro is the need to kill parts every run just to have a chance in an NhRA national.

The modern hobby racers routinely use technology and resources that.would have left Garlits and Prudhomme gasping 50 years ago.

It's like Cup or WoO: The difference between the top and the next level is a few.degrees of commitment, talent, and finance, not an order of magnitude.
              Last edited by atrackforumfan; 07-27-2020, 03:15 PM.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

I invite everyone and anyone to watch this video of last year's World Cup Finals: Import vs Domestic from Maryland international Raceway. This is an annual event they run that features a lot of the things missing from modern motorsports; ingenuity, creativity, and insane performances. And I'm sure some of these cars are being run for a fraction of what it costs to run an NHRA Pro program.
                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Out for the year: https://www.johnforceracing.com/john...t-another-day/
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Another link to Force shutdown for 2020.
                    At least it looks like plans are to be back for 2021

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nhra...team-for-2020/
                    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X