Englishtown really gone now.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    I lifted this off a New Jersey racing forum. Some of those posters I know personally but its still just internet chatter so take it for what its worth.

Still interesting comments IMO

http://www.usa50.com/DisplayMsg.asp?...9;n%20progress..
    That was more of a gut punch that I thought it was going to be when I opened the link. I never ran there (Lebanon Valley continues to be closer) but we went to E-Town for several years during the early to mid 90s for the SummerNationals, and I can vividly remember going in 2005, as I had a friend call me from Indianapolis telling me that all the Michelin-tired cars had retired from the GP.

My guess is that Lebanon Valley, Atco and Island Dragway have bigger car counts now.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post
      I'd imagine some developer made the track owner an offer he couldn't refuse.
      Don't know why they're demolishing track buildings now, but the story at the time they shut down the strip was that they'd signed a long lease as a storage yard for an insurance auction. They'd stored cars after Sandy.

if the lease is long enough, it could make sense for the lessor to cut an extra check for the value or replacement cost of the buildings and knock them down. The numbers I've heard suggest that the auction is paying several thousand dollars per year per car space.
      Last edited by atrackforumfan; 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post

That was more of a gut punch that I thought it was going to be when I opened the link. I never ran there (Lebanon Valley continues to be closer) but we went to E-Town for several years during the early to mid 90s for the SummerNationals, and I can vividly remember going in 2005, as I had a friend call me from Indianapolis telling me that all the Michelin-tired cars had retired from the GP.

My guess is that Lebanon Valley, Atco and Island Dragway have bigger car counts now.
        I think US 13 still runs the straight line cars as well as dirt cars.

Atco will probably be swallowed up by the suburbs before too long and AFAIK Island is wobbly already.

Not a good part of the country to own a race track of any kind.

New Egypt and Bridgeport are probably alright for the foreseeable future but I will not be at all surprised when I eventually read that Wall has been sold for development. And I will be much sadder about losing that old girl.
        Live like Dave

Comment

Yes US-13 is still very active.

https://www.delawareracing.com/
          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Comment

Another reminder of the Englishtown days came up last night when I found out about the passing of a friend's father. A group of us used to caravan down from Connecticut, but one year my friend found himself a girlfriend and didn't want to have chaperones (aka his parents) riding in the car with him to and from the SummerNationals. So that carpooling task was left to me, another friend, and my Jetta.

Oh man did Mom and Dad bicker and argue, especially on the way home. Nothing crazy or alcohol-driven or anything like that. More like George's parents on Seinfeld. At one point, about two-hours into the three-hour drive home I turned around and threatened to drive them back to Englishtown and drop them off if they didn't knock it off. That was good for a laugh.
            “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
              Another reminder of the Englishtown days came up last night when I found out about the passing of a friend's father. A group of us used to caravan down from Connecticut, but one year my friend found himself a girlfriend and didn't want to have chaperones (aka his parents) riding in the car with him to and from the SummerNationals. So that carpooling task was left to me, another friend, and my Jetta.

Oh man did Mom and Dad bicker and argue, especially on the way home. Nothing crazy or alcohol-driven or anything like that. More like George's parents on Seinfeld. At one point, about two-hours into the three-hour drive home I turned around and threatened to drive them back to Englishtown and drop them off if they didn't knock it off. That was good for a laugh.
              Some of my best racing stories never took place at a race track

Sounds like im not the only one
              Live like Dave

Comment

Working...
              X