Indy Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Nationals

I thought I would put out for all to see a message I was going to send to Nitrofan. I loved your story about the drag strip at Indy. I have many fond memories myself. I was at the first Nationals when it moved to Indy. I traveled from California by myself on bus and hitchhicking took me about a week to get there. I arrived outside the track about 10p.m. the day before they opened and slept under the old sign at the front gate. Early the next morning Wally Parks, and Jack Hart were the first to arrive at the track. They knew me from Pomona, they stopped and picked me up took me in the track and gave me a tour. That afternoon when we were done at the track they took me to town got me a room. The rest is history they flew me back home after the event and I went to work for NHRA full time. I'm thinking I had just turned 18.
    sa

stan my memories of indy are from wide world of sports and walking around there last year during the twin25's .

now your story, is a STORY.

the story of your life i'd say.

wow.

think if I go sleep under a sign they'll hire me too?

)

what i had said to stan was at the twin25's last year I left my F1 buddies in the stands because I HAD to take a walk down and get a look at the historic drag strip at irp.

I felt like kevin costner in field of dreams, looking at this strip in the middle of a midwestern field, seeing the ghosts of drag races past.

jim nichol, the snake, mongoose, steve carbone, kalitta muldowney ace mccullogh, gary beck,

ah.

they built it and i will come.

it's just taking me a while...

hopefully this will be the year i see cars on that track....
    It's a brand new day.

Comment

Great story, Stan! Very cool.
      Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
      Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Thanks guys and I kind of feel like Nitro, everyday when I come to work. My first drag race at Pomona was around 1951 and I started working here in 1958. The memories that I get each day when driving through the gate are really special. A lot has passed and a lot of changes over the years but I can sit at my desk and look out over the staging lanes and remember when 100 or more top fuel cars would be lined up waiting to qualify for a 64 car field and a top prize of $1000 U.S. savings bond. Every one of them would get at least 2 qualifying shots and then into eliminations. What a wild time that was! If you can't tell I miss it.
        sa

Comment

Pretty darn cool eh stan?

Nitro, my first ever drag race in person was at the Nationals in 2001, but it doesn't seem right that I have been there and you haven't been yet. Anyway, hope you make it this year, I can't make it, but I will be hitting Maple Grove.
          "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
          With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

by hook or by crook my man...

whatever that means.

my high school band director wrote that in my yearbook , I don't know...

but I will drive to indy come the end of the month...

stan my first drag race was at castle rock , colorado, in 1965

I don't remember it, but I 've got a picture taken with a kodak brownie to prove it.

I was 4. there was a road course there too.

I remember seeing a formula racer practicing when we were leaving.

that, and seeing 'grand prix' on the 'cinerama' screen in denver in 66 explains my passion for drag racing and F1.

it's all my Dad's fault.

BTW mvc, you're gonna get to see another edition of bob gilbertson's 'jungle jim' car at maple grove!

lucky dog....take some pics will ya?
            It's a brand new day.

Comment

I'll take some pics Nitro, that's for sure. I can't wait to see that car, and I know my woman will too. She used to work at York U.S. 30 and got to meet and watch Jungle Jim in person; I'm sure this will be a treat for her, as well as a little trip down memory lane.

BTW, in regards to the Nationals; I forgot who it was, but they posted it here at TF and had the best description of the event IMO. Something like: on Friday night it is as if the whole hot-rod universe is focused in on Indianapolis Raceway Park. Absolutely spine tingling!
              "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
              With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X