10,000 horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
    If I ran the NHRA, of if I were able to start my own drag racing organization, I would:

- Ban superchargers from the fuel classes. Basically I'd take the current A/FD formula running in Top Alcohol Dragster, run that as Top Fuel and adapt the formula to Funny Cars.
    - Reform Funny Car body specs.
    - Replace the current Pro Stock with Factory Stock Showdown. Actual stock-appearing cars wheelstanding and running in the 7s? Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge all involved? Sign me up. I'd make a couple very minor changes to the rules to open it up to other makes, but I would keep the cars as stock as they are currently.
    - Return to the quarter mile for all classes.
    NHRA runs that show about 40 times per year to an audience of friends and family.
    Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

NHRA runs that show about 40 times per year to an audience of friends and family.
      They need to package it as the Big Show for TV and in person. Lucas Oil Race Series action at 3am or midweek isn't the same as being on FOX Sports on the weekend.

On that, I'd look at getting away from live coverage (too much down time) and going back to a 60 or 90-minute produced highlights show.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

People have been trying to sell other stuff in place of blown nitro cars for over 50 years. There's never been a direct substitute.

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

Comment

People have been trying to sell other stuff in place of blown nitro cars for over 50 years. There's never been a direct substitute.
          Nostalgia drags might be the closest thing going. Pretty much managed competition though.

Comment

True, but they're not going back to the quarter mile for the big cars. I will mention that the A/FD National Records are 5.10 and 285 MPH and they run the quarter mile.

Comment

Given a choice between 1000 ft blown nitro racing and quarter mile AFD, 90+ percent of fans will go for the blown option when they back up their words with their wallets.

By comparison, TAD is a competition to find the world's tallest midget.

Comment

Each time I tune into NHRA drags I see full stands (or nearly so) and multiple sponsors on cars, and someone here is going to tell them how to re-invent for success. I guess I just don't get it.
                "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Part of the OCIR thrill was the Santa Anna Freeway shutdown embankment.

Last edited by Stagger D. Halibrand; 06-15-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Given a choice between 1000 ft blown nitro racing and quarter mile AFD, 90+ percent of fans will go for the blown option when they back up their words with their wallets.

By comparison, TAD is a competition to find the world's tallest midget.
                    A/FD has never been the big show.

Comment

Working...
                    X