Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

10,000 horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    Pro Stock has become a joke...
    Why do you say that?

Not being confrontational, I follow NHRA even less than I used to now.

Just curious what happened.
    Live like Dave

Comment

Here is a 10,000hp MTU V20. They have a dyno for this.

Comment

The No-dyno-exists-for-a-TF-Hemi story goes something like this, embellishment unknown: In the early '90s, Kenny Bernstein took an engine to a U.S. Navy base which held, supposedly, the world's highest-capacity dyno, up to 5,000(?) hp. On the first pull, the dyno was pegged before the Hemi got anywhere near the power band.
        You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Why do you say that?

Pro Stock has become a Chevy (Camaro) show, but the rules now allow you to run other bodies and even a couple teams have Dart bodies powered by a Chevrolet powerplant. Dodge quit making the Dart after the 2015 model year. I still follow TF, Funny Car and the factory stocks.

The last Dodge Dart powered by Mopar Pro Stock was Allen Johnson and he retired after the 2017 season.
          Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Why do you say that?

Changes to the engine rules (EFI) basically made anything other than a Chevy totally uncompetitive. Their way of fixing this was to make it legal to put any sheet metal you wanted on a Chevy. Well, that's an idea I guess.

I don't know that NHRA's purses have increased commensurate with income to the series or costs. My guess is that they haven't increased at all in years. Once you're in a position that you lose money every pass, you're going to be limited to rich guys and kids of rich guys.

Comment

Very informative Balboa. Thx.
              Live like Dave

Comment

In the last 10 years or so Pro Stock entries have fallen from 30 plus at every event to now where it's a struggle to fill the 16 car field. There used to be a myriad of engine builders in the class but now it's pretty much Elite and KB Racing that dominate. Most of the racers that used to populate the class either went to Pro Modified or are back to the sportsman classes.
                "We let bygones be under the bridge..." AJ Foyt

Comment

That's too bad.

I liked the TF and FC of course but the Pro Stocks were fascinating as well because they still looked sorta kinda mostly almost like the street versions.
                  Live like Dave

Comment

I’d like to see them go back to 1320’ bc the initial decision after Scott Kalitta’s death was a knee-jerk reaction. The track where he was killed had a terribly short shutdown area, and a wall at the end of it (and an ESPN tower at the time). I remember posting on here the shutdown lengths for a handful of tracks including IRP, using Google Earth, and all were plenty long enough. To me it was silly and arbitrary to just keep it at 1000’ especially now that Englishtown is gone. I wouldn’t even care if they dialed back the Fuel classes....hell when I was young, Garlits was running in the 5s and that was super fast. I’ve been to the US Nationals once since they went to 1000’, and what used to be a packed house (Friday of Labor Day weekend) was half full at best....and that was 5 years ago. I know there are more reasons for that than 1000’, drag racing is suffering just like most major motorsports. But I feel like they lost their identity a bit with that decision, or at least not ever going back to 1/4 mile. Just my 2 cents.
                    "We named the dog Indiana"

Comment

The change to 1000 feet was a quick reaction, but NHRA had known for years that blown nitro cars had outgrown many of their tracks. Scott's death wasn't a fluke. He didn't coast into the end of the track and tap it.

The wall at Englishtown wasn't a fluke or a mistake, either. The top end had trees behind the wall. There is no combination of trees, wall, and camera platform that would produce a happy outcome. In any case, race cars can't be allowed to leave the property in an accident. If there isn't enough space for cars to coast/tumble to a stop, there has to be a barrier. Englishtown's barrier was closer than others, but no one knew how much was enough.

Modern unblown A/Fuel cars would run in the fours for the quarter with Top Fuel budgets. National events would have the same crowds as division sportsman races if that were the top class. (I love the sound of A/FDs.)

The issue isn't the speed, it's the sensation. The blown nitro cars deliver the sensation.
                      Last edited by atrackforumfan; 05-06-2019, 06:23 PM.
                      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

In my view they need to go back to around 4000 hp or so and running the entire 1/4 mile. How they do that I will leave the technical experts to solve. Like many others, the NHRA left me when they went to 1000 ft.

I'm a bit of a geezer so I'd rather watch the nostalgia programs with nostalgia top fuel, nostalgia funny cars, fuel altereds and gassers. They run pretty fast and run the entire 1/4 mile as God intended.

Comment

Working...
                        X