Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRL and Dodge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IRL and Dodge

    Hi why is the Dodge deal oval only?
    I mean this guy won a price where he had the opportunity to drive free in the IPS but why will he be doing ovals only and 6 races per year?

    This guy comes from ovals so he should be racing at road races too if he ever wishes to be competetive in Indycar racing, I believe it's a lame move by the IRL not to include rr too and why aren't they offering the same deal for Star Mazda or US FF2000 drivers?

    Looking at the drivers today most of them are from the ranks so it seems obvious that's where you will find the talents...

  • #2
    I agree somewhat, but in order to compete at the ICS level, one must first have some rear-engine experience. This will get his feet wet at least.
    www.dulcetroad.com

    My Band's website!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TUBORG-fan
      Hi why is the Dodge deal oval only?
      I mean this guy won a price where he had the opportunity to drive free in the IPS but why will he be doing ovals only and 6 races per year?

      This guy comes from ovals so he should be racing at road races too if he ever wishes to be competetive in Indycar racing, I believe it's a lame move by the IRL not to include rr too and why aren't they offering the same deal for Star Mazda or US FF2000 drivers?

      Looking at the drivers today most of them are from the ranks so it seems obvious that's where you will find the talents...
      You seriously want to equate the prestige of the Knoxville Nationals with anything Star Mazda or FF2000 runs?

      The IRL was created to open up opportunities for all drivers. The road course guys have their roads there. The fact the the IRL is putting up the money to reward a good sprint car performance is awesome. And keeping the guy on ovals is the right thing to do. If he shows well, he can take some RR courses and run some go karts and start working on full time IPS ride. But this gets his foot in the door. And next year, it will be someone else. Its a good program.

      Comment


      • #4
        He's going to have trouble showing well with all the road racing guys to run against. No rear engined experience. No adjustable aero experience. This is one of those rare moments when the argument has a realistic chance of being played out.

        Originally posted by silvercrown
        You seriously want to equate the prestige of the Knoxville Nationals with anything Star Mazda or FF2000 runs?

        The IRL was created to open up opportunities for all drivers. The road course guys have their roads there. The fact the the IRL is putting up the money to reward a good sprint car performance is awesome. And keeping the guy on ovals is the right thing to do. If he shows well, he can take some RR courses and run some go karts and start working on full time IPS ride. But this gets his foot in the door. And next year, it will be someone else. Its a good program.
        "I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."
        Thomas Jefferson

        Comment


        • #5
          What is this Dodge deal? Pardon the question.

          Comment


          • #6
            The guy who finished highest at the Knoxville Nationals would be given a free ride in the OPS O though it was for the entire season, but it's only for the ovals, unfortunately

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TUBORG-fan
              The guy who finished highest at the Knoxville Nationals would be given a free ride in the OPS O though it was for the entire season, but it's only for the ovals, unfortunately
              Highest finisher "of age" in the Knoxville rookie standings.
              One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought the reason behind increasing the road races in IPS was to give the non road-racers more experience with them when they get to ICS. If he's not going to learn by experience in IPS, then just when is he supposed to?
                It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

                Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

                Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bombardier R142
                  I thought the reason behind increasing the road races in IPS was to give the non road-racers more experience with them when they get to ICS. If he's not going to learn by experience in IPS, then just when is he supposed to?

                  I think it was more to try and get teams from the atlantics over, since that seems to be the place that a lot of ICS owners get their drivers from.
                  The River Witch by D. Paul Cooley. Available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.

                  http://www.amazon.com/River-Witch-Pa...e=UTF8&s=books

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by optimusprime05
                    I think it was more to try and get teams from the atlantics over, since that seems to be the place that a lot of ICS owners get their drivers from.
                    Exactly and that maeks it more strange ragarding the choice of the IRL and Knoxville speedway, Dodge will lose valuable seat time next week not competing at St. Pete

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is how I understand it...

                      The highest finisher 18 or over in the Knoxville Nationals ROTY standings is guaranteed at least a test in an IPS car. Upon successful completion of the test & receipt of his/her IPS license the IRL & Knoxville will work to put together a minimum 6 race IPS deal for the winner. Geoff Dodge I think was third in the ROTY standings but the other two (including Sammy Swindell's son) were under 18. The 18 year old requirement, for those that don't know, has to do with Marlboro being an IRL sponsor. That is why Sean Guthrie has to skip Homestead & St. Pete.

                      One other thought about adjusting the schedule to 50/50 RC vs. Oval is that it will reduce costs for the teams. Mostly because the opportunity to take on serious crash damage is reduced on road courses. With that in mind, they are also able to run double events which also cuts costs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And the double header format is just GREAT for the drivers, two races per weekend should be a norm in all IPS races

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TUBORG-fan
                          Exactly and that maeks it more strange ragarding the choice of the IRL and Knoxville speedway, Dodge will lose valuable seat time next week not competing at St. Pete

                          and, I completely agree with you. If Marco can be put into an ICS car at Homestead with no oval experience besides testing (that I know of), then Dodge should be running at St. Petes. Maybe they didn't have the funding for it?
                          The River Witch by D. Paul Cooley. Available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.

                          http://www.amazon.com/River-Witch-Pa...e=UTF8&s=books

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Knoxville program involves a guaranteed six race deal. It has been that way since day one so this is no shock. Any other races are sponsor dependant and as of right now they do not have an addtional sponsor lined up. Sorry to kill all the conspiracy theories.
                            Dan Schlosser
                            Go fast, turn left !
                            www.tracksideonline.com

                            "Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
                            Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What seems obvious to me is if the IRL is going to give what amounts to an inexperienced driver a 6 race deal, they should include some amount of seat time at a RR school then make it a 4 oval 2 RR opportunity with the RR coming later in the season after the driver gets acclimated to the car and finishes the RR school.

                              By the way for a youngster it looked like he had a good run over the w/end.
                              "Free your mind and your ass will follow"

                              GMO industry is the new tobacco industry

                              Think GMO is ok? Think again, it's just the beginning: http://www.responsibletechnology.org...h-risks/1notes

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎