Indy Lights back on Firestones in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Lights back on Firestones in 2023

Surprised this news wasn't posted yet. Further consolidation under IndyCar and separation from the rest of the Road to Indy.

https://racer.com/2022/06/22/indy-li...itch-for-2023/

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

That is interesting. After reading the article I’m wondering what sort of business arrangements led to this shift and why. I’d like to buy Levi Jones a beverage and chat on it.

Comment

My thought on this one is pretty simple; Andersen Promotions brought Cooper Tires to the Road to Indy. Now that Lights is back under IndyCar control they're working with that series' tire manufacturer. Some have mentioned the Goodyear purchase of Cooper, but I have any reason to believe that is a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Full View Post
        That is interesting. After reading the article I’m wondering what sort of business arrangements led to this shift and why. I’d like to buy Levi Jones a beverage and chat on it.
        I believe Indy Lights is officially under the IndyCar banner while the rest of the Road to Indy stayed with Anderson Promotions. Since IndyCar has Firestone as its official tire it makes sense that Indy Lights would follow IndyCar's lead. At least....that's what I believe happened.
        "In IndyCar, no one makes money. It's just great, pure racing." - Sebastien Bourdais

Comment

I hear ya’ re: the IndyCar banner, but I also believe $$$ are involved, given the promotional requirements of the tire manufacturers. Apparently Firestone was willing and eager (?) to provide promotional dollars beyond what Cooper was providing.

I don’t know…. But I find it an interesting situation, nonetheless.

Comment

Wouldn’t it make sense for IndyLights to use same tires that IndyCar uses? Not adopting the idea of using common tub really is hurtin Indy right now.

Comment

Goodyear has all to do with it. They own the company. Here in Germany since Cooper tires are not well known all the ads have a mention that it is Goodyear. Why would Bridgestone want Goodyear to have a part in anything Indycar since they are the ones paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                Goodyear has all to do with it. They own the company. Here in Germany since Cooper tires are not well known all the ads have a mention that it is Goodyear. Why would Bridgestone want Goodyear to have a part in anything Indycar since they are the ones paying for it.
                I agree that it is a sponsor synergy move, but while they've been branding Avon racing tires as Goodyears over in Europe, Cooper has remained Cooper here in the states, up to and including Avon racing tires being branded as Coopers here.

My question is, if Firestone can do this, and can develop their "green" compound tire, why can't they develop something that will work on PJ-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
                  My thought on this one is pretty simple; Andersen Promotions brought Cooper Tires to the Road to Indy. Now that Lights is back under IndyCar control they're working with that series' tire manufacturer. Some have mentioned the Goodyear purchase of Cooper, but I have any reason to believe that is a factor.
                  It is exactly this. No more, no less.

Firestone is INDYCAR's tire partner, and Indy Lights is back under the control of INDYCAR, so a move back to Firestone should come as no surprise.
                  Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                  IndyCar Radio Network
                  www.roadtoindyinsider.com
                  Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires Announcer
                  Twitter: @robhowden / @RTI_Insider
                  Instagram: @robhowdenracing

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X