Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who's back...back again...Lights is back...tell a friend

https://www.indylights.com/news/indy...irmed-for-2021

Am I the only one who sang the title of this thread?
    http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post
      Am I the only one who sang the title of this thread?
      My job here is done

Comment

I wonder why they are going with the HALO over the windscreen. Is it just easier to retrofit to those cars?
        I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
        Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by brundle View Post
          I wonder why they are going with the HALO over the windscreen. Is it just easier to retrofit to those cars?
          my guess.... cheaper.

Comment

Because it is the standard driver protection in open wheel racing in the world besides one series.

Comment

More
              https://racer.com/2020/10/07/revampe...eturn-in-2021/
              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                Because it is the standard driver protection in open wheel racing in the world besides one series.
                But this is the feeder to that series.

I'd imagine the next new chassis will integrate a windsceen.
                Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Hi guys -

I sat down with Dan Andersen today to discuss the components of the announcement. Check out the interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pz_wWdOR9g&t=4s

RH
                  Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                  IndyCar Radio Network
                  www.roadtoindyinsider.com
                  Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires Announcer
                  Twitter: @robhowden / @RTI_Insider
                  Instagram: @robhowdenracing

Comment

i think the teams need to start saying they're in and driver announcements need to pop. i know it's earlier than in the past, but there are none this year and no one wants to place their budget in a series with 3-5 cars. hoping they have 20.

Comment

Originally posted by ndcrs View Post
                      i think the teams need to start saying they're in and driver announcements need to pop. i know it's earlier than in the past, but there are none this year and no one wants to place their budget in a series with 3-5 cars. hoping they have 20.
                      I expect that we're starting seeing driver announcements and confirmations soon, but in prepping for my interview with Dan Andersen, I reached out to many drivers and the response was that everyone was coming back. There may be some budget issues here and there to overcome, but the following is a quick look at who I expect to see back and where:

ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT - will run four cars
                      Kyle Kirkwood
                      Robert Megennis
                      Devlin DeFrancesco
                      Danial Frost

BELARDI AUTOSPORT - Brian Belardi told me he wants to run three cars
                      Toby Sowery
                      Rasmus Lindh

HMD MOTORSPORTS - I'm told they are planning to run three cars
                      David Malukas

EXCLUSIVE AUTOSPORT - one car, but more likely to be two
                      Nikita Lastochkin

JUNCOS RACING - Ricardo Juncos told me the interest has been high since the 2021 confirmation announcement, 2-3 cars
                      Sting Ray Robb - I expect he will bring his scholarship and will stay with Juncos

And I expect the open seats to be filled by international drivers who are attracted by the power of Penske support and the intro of the halo. This would put the 2021 field at between 12-15 cars.
                      Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                      IndyCar Radio Network

Comment

And what about new/old teams? I can recall Foyt racing expressed some interest in running Lights, but with the team's current struggle for sponsorhip and competetivness - it's not on the table anymore, I fear. What about Carlin? Junior series seems like a perfect fit for this team. Sam Schmidt? With the arrival of McLaren I can imagine that he is no longer that busy with the IndyCar team as he used to.
                        Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Howden View Post

I expect that we're starting seeing driver announcements and confirmations soon, but in prepping for my interview with Dan Andersen, I reached out to many drivers and the response was that everyone was coming back. There may be some budget issues here and there to overcome, but the following is a quick look at who I expect to see back and where:

ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT - will run four cars
                          Kyle Kirkwood
                          Robert Megennis
                          Devlin DeFrancesco
                          Danial Frost

BELARDI AUTOSPORT - Brian Belardi told me he wants to run three cars
                          Toby Sowery
                          Rasmus Lindh

HMD MOTORSPORTS - I'm told they are planning to run three cars
                          David Malukas

EXCLUSIVE AUTOSPORT - one car, but more likely to be two
                          Nikita Lastochkin

JUNCOS RACING - Ricardo Juncos told me the interest has been high since the 2021 confirmation announcement, 2-3 cars
                          Sting Ray Robb - I expect he will bring his scholarship and will stay with Juncos

And I expect the open seats to be filled by international drivers who are attracted by the power of Penske support and the intro of the halo. This would put the 2021 field at between 12-15 cars.
                          Thank you for your input Rob, it's appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by nospheratez View Post
                            And what about new/old teams? I can recall Foyt racing expressed some interest in running Lights, but with the team's current struggle for sponsorhip and competetivness - it's not on the table anymore, I fear. What about Carlin? Junior series seems like a perfect fit for this team. Sam Schmidt? With the arrival of McLaren I can imagine that he is no longer that busy with the IndyCar team as he used to.
                            I don't have any definitive info on this, but have received essentially the same intel as Marshall Pruett wrote about on RACER. Foyt has had interested for a couple years, but was waiting to be approached by a funded driver. I'm told Carlin would be interested in returning, but I expect would want to see the driver numbers on a positive and year-over-year increase to make the capital investment. Carlin has their IndyCar program more sorted out and established, but they may have the bandwidth to add back the Lights program. As for Arrow McLaren SP, I would not be overly-surprised to eventually see them add a Lights effort to train drivers and staff. When you look at what they're likely spending on a two-car IndyCar effort, adding two Lights cars would be somewhere in the area of a 10% overall budget increase, and they would already have much investment in place to help run the program (shop, front office, etc).

I'd love to see Meyer Shank Racing add a two-car Indy Lights program to help feed their growing IndyCar program as well. I wonder if the capital investment from Liberty Media could help with that.
                            Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                            IndyCar Radio Network

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Howden View Post

I don't have any definitive info on this, but have received essentially the same intel as Marshall Pruett wrote about on RACER. Foyt has had interested for a couple years, but was waiting to be approached by a funded driver. I'm told Carlin would be interested in returning, but I expect would want to see the driver numbers on a positive and year-over-year increase to make the capital investment. Carlin has their IndyCar program more sorted out and established, but they may have the bandwidth to add back the Lights program. As for Arrow McLaren SP, I would not be overly-surprised to eventually see them add a Lights effort to train drivers and staff. When you look at what they're likely spending on a two-car IndyCar effort, adding two Lights cars would be somewhere in the area of a 10% overall budget increase, and they would already have much investment in place to help run the program (shop, front office, etc).

I'd love to see Meyer Shank Racing add a two-car Indy Lights program to help feed their growing IndyCar program as well. I wonder if the capital investment from Liberty Media could help with that.
                              Thank You for comprehensive and insightful overview. Much appreciate it! Good point regarding MSR!
                              Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X