Road to Indy 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to Indy 2020

It was just announced that Pabst racing from USF2000 will be expanding into IndyPro2000 with Colin Kaminsky. Combined with HMD Motorsport expanding into both IndyPro2000 and USF2000 with 2 cars, that looks like an increase in field size for IndyPro2000 and USF2000 of 3 cars and 2 cars respectively.

Pretty healthy field sizes it looks like. Also Exclusive autosport is expanding up into Indy Lights so that looks like 9 cars so far assuming all else being equal. I hope a few more cars get announced between now and St. Pete.
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

What I'm worried about is that with the new chassis/motor situation about to take place in Indycar - I wonder if the Road to Indy feels any pressure to also up their cars as well. This could be an exciting thing but it may raise cost again which is never positive for a motorsports series especially if it doesn't add value to anything besides making the junior cars more similar to the ones on the top level.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitokiri View Post
      What I'm worried about is that with the new chassis/motor situation about to take place in Indycar - I wonder if the Road to Indy feels any pressure to also up their cars as well. This could be an exciting thing but it may raise cost again which is never positive for a motorsports series especially if it doesn't add value to anything besides making the junior cars more similar to the ones on the top level.
      That has crossed my mind a few times. In that, I see the opportunity to replace the IL-15s with de-tuned DW12s. That gives a bit more performance, better safety (with the RBAT Aeroscreen) and that could give the Indycar teams a bit more money to upgrade to the 2022 chassis.

Comment

Is Indy Lights owned by Penske or Andersen now?
        Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Muffins View Post

That has crossed my mind a few times. In that, I see the opportunity to replace the IL-15s with de-tuned DW12s. That gives a bit more performance, better safety (with the RBAT Aeroscreen) and that could give the Indycar teams a bit more money to upgrade to the 2022 chassis.
          sounds reasonable until you think about price delta of pieces/parts like wings, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post
            Is Indy Lights owned by Penske or Andersen now?
            I believe it's still owned and managed by Andersen Promotions, separate from IndyCar (IRL) and IMS.

Comment

Thanks! I thought IndyCar owned lights and hired Andersen to promote it,
              Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

No, Andersen owns all three series. He pays a licensing fee to IndyCar for use of some of their trademarks (or the licensing is covered as part of his sanctioning agreement with IndyCar).

Comment

Originally posted by drdisque View Post
                  No, Andersen owns all three series. He pays a licensing fee to IndyCar for use of some of their trademarks (or the licensing is covered as part of his sanctioning agreement with IndyCar).
                  show us where that happened. he operates and promotes the 3 series. i've never seen anything to indicate he owns the three series. from the presser "On July 12, 2013, it was announced that Andersen Promotions would take over the licensing and operation of the Firestone Indy Lights Series from INDYCAR and will now operate all three levels of the Mazda Road to Indy."

Comment

I guess "owns" is a bit of an odd subject when it comes to racing series as I'd never really thought about it.

IndyCar "owns" the name, that can be established.

He "rents" the name and a sanctioning agreement with the series.

If the sanctioning agreement and name license were canceled what would Andersen have? A rulebook? Maybe?

I agree, he doesn't own it, he operates it.

Comment

Andersen owns the bottom two rungs of the ladder, IndyCar provides the sanctioning for them. He restarted USF2000 in 2010 from scratch (he had previously had ownership in an earlier version of the series), and when the Rodrigues group shut down Star Mazda after 2012 he created Pro Mazda to immediately replace it. IndyCar owns Lights and Andersen handles the operations for that series.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Mackey View Post
                        Andersen owns the bottom two rungs of the ladder, IndyCar provides the sanctioning for them. He restarted USF2000 in 2010 from scratch (he had previously had ownership in an earlier version of the series), and when the Rodrigues group shut down Star Mazda after 2012 he created Pro Mazda to immediately replace it. IndyCar owns Lights and Andersen handles the operations for that series.
                        Is that why NBC Sports Gold could get Lights but none of the other series in the Road to Indy?

Comment

Jay Howard announced his team is expanding into Indy Lights for 2020 so that is a count of at least 10 cars so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
                            Jay Howard announced his team is expanding into Indy Lights for 2020 so that is a count of at least 10 cars so far.
                            I read "JHDD has purchased two Dallara IL-15 chassis, the spec car used in Indy Lights, to use for a testing programme with Bogle" (http://www.formulascout.com/jay-howa...gle-2020/57060)
                            ​​​

So, did Howard purchased two Cars only for testing?

Comment

Originally posted by marcostraz View Post
                              ​​​

So, did Howard purchased two Cars only for testing?
                              It appears that that's the situation for 2020 with an eye toward race entries in 2021, at least according to the posted article. That stated, it seems like an expensive proposition to purchase not one but two chassis for what I perceive to be limited short-term use. I'd say Jay would be pleased to run one or both of those cars in 2020 races should the checks clear.

Whatever the situation, I'm happy to see indications of additional entries in the series.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X