Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should INDYCAR merge IndyLights into main series?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    An idea I've half-thought about is having Pro Series and Indy Lights in the same race on road courses. Your 8-car and 12-car grids become a single 20-car grid. Plus it lightens up the weekend schedule. You pay points as though they're 2 different series and all that's still the same.

    Comment


    • #17
      Sports cars certainly does OK with the multi-class format in one race.
      I'm not sure if it would compress the daily schedule too much leaving downtime?
      Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

      Comment


      • #18
        They should drop the Dallara IL-15, give Indy Pro car a little performance upgrade and call it Lights. Lights should cost no more than $500k per year to be competitive. That would draw a competitive field of 15-20 full timers.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by E Nasty View Post
          They should drop the Dallara IL-15, give Indy Pro car a little performance upgrade and call it Lights. Lights should cost no more than $500k per year to be competitive. That would draw a competitive field of 15-20 full timers.
          The reason why they made the IL-15 was because the old Dallara chassis was ancient. I mean nearly age of the Dinosaurs ancient.

          The drivers and fans wanted something that would prepare the driver better for Indycar and there you have it. The only way the chassis price is going to go down is if more teams are involved. I don't believe the number of drivers is due to the cost but the number of teams or available cars on the grid. Just look at 2015 when the new chassis came out and Carlin and Schmidt were still teams. There were 12-15 cars on the grid. 2015 also saw Andretti only field 2 cars as well as Belardi. These days both Beldardi and Andretti are fielding 4 each. Imagine if Carlin, Schmidt, Andretti, and Belardi were all field 3-4 cars. Juncos usually support 2 and the rest of the field another 2 or 3. We have a pretty good field. Then Carlin and Schmidt pulled out and we're back to square one again.

          "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Hitokiri View Post

            The reason why they made the IL-15 was because the old Dallara chassis was ancient. I mean nearly age of the Dinosaurs ancient.

            The drivers and fans wanted something that would prepare the driver better for Indycar and there you have it. The only way the chassis price is going to go down is if more teams are involved. I don't believe the number of drivers is due to the cost but the number of teams or available cars on the grid. Just look at 2015 when the new chassis came out and Carlin and Schmidt were still teams. There were 12-15 cars on the grid. 2015 also saw Andretti only field 2 cars as well as Belardi. These days both Beldardi and Andretti are fielding 4 each. Imagine if Carlin, Schmidt, Andretti, and Belardi were all field 3-4 cars. Juncos usually support 2 and the rest of the field another 2 or 3. We have a pretty good field. Then Carlin and Schmidt pulled out and we're back to square one again.
            I meant the current Indy Pro 2000, formerly known as Pro Mazda. Not the Dallara IP2-Nissan V8 based series. I forgot that was once known as the Indy Pro Series.

            Comment


            • #21
              Too early to replace the current iteration of the car, I would wait until it gets to the end of life. That being said, the next car should be cheaper, probably closer to what the old Formula Atlantics was in cost. I wouldn't even bother racing on any big ovals, if you want oval racing, let them do it on tracks that are 1 mile or shorter. Indy Lights were a poor training ground for racing on the big ovals, I think they would be better off giving rookie Indycar drivers their own test sessions to acclimate to the car and how it races.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
                Too early to replace the current iteration of the car, I would wait until it gets to the end of life. That being said, the next car should be cheaper, probably closer to what the old Formula Atlantics was in cost. I wouldn't even bother racing on any big ovals, if you want oval racing, let them do it on tracks that are 1 mile or shorter. Indy Lights were a poor training ground for racing on the big ovals, I think they would be better off giving rookie Indycar drivers their own test sessions to acclimate to the car and how it races.
                Its in its fifth season and has failed to attract large grids throughout that run. Initial purchase costs should have been amortized by now. I say cut and run.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                  I apparently don't understand either.
                  If one of the reasons Indy Lights are thin because the program is so expensive, how does forcing the teams/drivers to buy/rent/run an IndyCar chassis (which is even more expensive) help?
                  They are more likely to get sponsorship for part time rides in Indycar than a whole season of Indy Lights and at this point, it would likely be more valuable experience. 5 years ago, when aerokits came out, they should have adopted a single spec engine sponsored by Mazda and created a low hp version of the standard DW12 and run with it, but everyone objected to it's appearance.

                  The issue is where do they fill the experience gap many drivers have filled with Atlantics and indy Lights experience since the mid 80's? There's few fi any drivers that are going to come out of Silver crown or Modifieds anymore.
                  The lights series has no commercial appeal at this point and it's not fully serving it's intended purpose as a development series when there are so few cars to judge performance against.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    A few thoughts here.... I generally agree with NR5 that it's not fully serving its intended purpose. Regarding it's commercial appeal, or lack thereof, I also believe that's true. Anecdotally, since the field size has dropped to the single digits, even when I'm at the track I don't make a point of paying attention to their races as there's just not much to hold my interest after the first few corners 'cause it's only a few cars turning hot laps. Up until 2016 or so, this wasn't the case. I'd tune in online for Lights races and would pay attention when at the track, mostly because the fields were larger and there was more to see and anticipate.

                    I will say, however, that despite the low number of entries in recent years, the Freedom 100 continues to provide outstanding racing. This event is certainly the highlight of my Carb Day experience year-in and year-out.

                    I do like the suggestion above regarding merging Indy Pro 2000 and Lights fields into combined races, if for no other reason to boost car count and passing opportunities. The former Pirelli World Challenge (SRO something-or-other now) did this with their GT and GTS classes a few years ago when car counts dipped and it led to some entertaining shows. Why not try it?

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X