TBA entries??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBA entries??

I noticed that Sam S. and Brian S. entered 2 TBA entries for the race. Are these seats open to anyone who brings money to the table on friday? How much would those seats go for on race day?

IPS rides are currently going for anywhere from 10k to 30k per race.
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

Comment

I wish I had $10k to $30k.
      One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

There are several teams that WANT to be racing now (or continue), but need a little help from the driver. The driver doesn't need to pay ALL the bills, just a portion of them.

And rides for the ENTIRE 2004 season can be acquired for a relative SONG if you bring cash early. You don't need the 800k that was tossed around for a budget. (Though it's still true that the more you spend, the faster you go -- Testing is important).

A little more than a quarter of that 800k will get a guy locked into a ride for the year (provided you don't destroy a bunch of cars).
        We took it for our own!

Comment

The 10 to 30k is the easiest part. The 75k crash deposit seems a little more difficult. If you want to run up front better plan on another 12k for a test day too.

Dear God, please bring us sponsors.... Amen
          "Some mornings aint worth chewing through the leather straps"

Comment

True,

That crash deposit can be the tough part. But, as with everything, different teams handle that in different ways. (Creativity seems to be quite high in the Pro Series paddock these days).
            We took it for our own!

Comment

I wonder how tough it would be to persuade a sponsor to pony up the $75,000 crash deposit and have it returned if there are no incidents during the weekend. They get a 100% return. Prize money($10,000-$15,000) would go to the team with the remainder of the balance($5,000-10,000) be paid by an associate sponsor. Another scenerio is have the company team up with a charity and if their are no incidents, the money goes to that charity as a tax right off. The charity's logo will appear on the side of the car.

Comment

I think this is a good idea. I have run it past a few of my potential sponsors but they feel there is still too much risk.

Today's sponsors want a guaranteed Return on Investment (or as close as they get to it). To promise to finish far enough forward to pull top purse while promising not to crash seems very risky to them (at least the ones I am talking to).

I am still not really sure how much purse is paid out. Does anyone know what 1st through 5th pay?
                "Some mornings aint worth chewing through the leather straps"

Comment

The saddest thing is for this weekends race, there are only 13 cars in the race. From this we are supposed to get drivers into the IRL (Son of CART)? Yep, it is all about money now, and not talent, isn't it?

Comment

Four areas need addressed ASAP to help cure the car count problems:

Too expensive.
                    Not enough purse in relation to the cost.
                    Irrelevant television packagae.
                    Scheduling that ensures no one in the stands.

Things are being worked on now. Let's hope the changes/results are enough to turn the tide.
                    Dan Schlosser
                    Go fast, turn left !
                    www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
                    Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

The main cost problem is a lack of reasonable insurance plan and/or cheaper cars.

And their really isn't a used car market out there to help keep costs down. So much equipment has been torn up this year that everyone is forced to buy new for almost everything.

And I completely agree with Dan. The IPS needs to be running on SUNDAY morning.
                      We took it for our own!

Comment

Yep, no insurance available at all. Not just the IPS though as this is an industry wide problem right now.

The only entity with any power to help alleviate the problem is the League itself. They will need to invest in a program to help offset the lack of insurance availability if they want the growth that is needed to make this series viable.

Right now teams can't afford to run drivers without a significant crash deposit and drivers can't afford to post a significant crash deposit while also fully funding the ride. Catch 22.

Some good people are working on the solutions though. It'll be interesting to see what kind of changes, if any, are proposed in the near future.
                        Dan Schlosser
                        Go fast, turn left !
                        www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
                        Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

"or cheaper cars."

I've heard that somewhere before?
                          Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Halve the cost of the cars, and you'll get 50% more entries almost immediately.

BIG cost difference in trashing 2 cars for 100k or 2 cars for 200k total.

The engine deal could be a little cheaper, but I see that being straightened out right now by Butch Meyer. That part will be OK.

That said, we need the cheaper cars with the SAME exact quality and safety features we have now. (Yet another catch 22).

Seeing the Tom Wood crash confirmed this to me. Even with my cost concerns, I'm not willing to sacrifice crashability for cost savings. If necessary, subsidize Dallara to lower the cost, or get into the chassis distribution business on a non-profit basis.
                            We took it for our own!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X