Dave Steele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Steele

Does anyone know anything about the "one time" ride Dave had in the 33 car?

And is there anything else on the horizon for him in the Pro Series this year?

He is clearly the best pavement racer in USAC at this time.

I agree with you about his ability. He's overlooked I think alot. Fine pavement driver.

Comment

His sole run in the IPS was less than stellar. I think he was lapped, but certainly well off the pace.

Comment

He finished exactly where he qualified... 11th position.

Awful tough to do a one off in a Pro car after ZERO testing.

If given some seat time he would be a top 3 driver every race with out question. Extremely talented young man, and would an asset to the INDY RACING LEAGUE.

Comment

Well if you say so, but for someone regularly driving and at the front in another formula, these IPS times don't look like he is ready to jump into an IRL car just yet.

Session 1 Wood 176.304
          Steele 171.584

Session 2 Wood 176.304
          Steele 170.784

Qualifying Taylor 176.146
          Steele 170.025

Final Practice Wood 174.901
          Steele 170.310

Race - Finished 3 laps down
          Fastest lap - Steele 168.437
          Of race 176.433

If a driver is new to a circuit or car you expect him to improve with each outing - the above speeds show the reverse were happening with Steele, now everyone improves with practice, but this outing does not prove any evidence that he has the credentials to be a " top 3 finisher" in the IPS which some posting on this site think is a joke. Well if a top USAC pavement driver struggles this much perhaps the IPS isn't such a joke after all and Mr Yelley was wise perhaps not to take up the offer of a one off ride in the IPS as he may have got wupped!

Comment

Of the two cars in that stable one got a new engine for that race - it wasn't the 33.

Matt Beardsley ran 184 in every configuration humanly possible at Michigan. They opted for a last minute engine change and he went out and set fast lap of the race by 3 mph (+/-) before his accident. That was around 6 mph faster than he ran all weekend.

These engines have a noticable drop in horespower as the mileage goes up. So much so that the League has/will revise the engine lease situation. Rebuilds will be done at half the mileage previously stipulated.

Dave is fine and could be back again soon. With more than a practice session or two and a solid deal he would compete at the front. Any other notion is silly.
            Dan Schlosser
            Go fast, turn left !
            www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
            Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Originally posted by gofastturnleft
              Of the two cars in that stable one got a new engine for that race - it wasn't the 33.

Matt Beardsley ran 184 in every configuration humanly possible at Michigan. They opted for a last minute engine change and he went out and set fast lap of the race by 3 mph (+/-) before his accident. That was around 6 mph faster than he ran all weekend.

These engines have a noticable drop in horespower as the mileage goes up. So much so that the League has/will revise the engine lease situation. Rebuilds will be done at half the mileage previously stipulated.

Dave is fine and could be back again soon. With more than a practice session or two and a solid deal he would compete at the front. Any other notion is silly.
              What Dan said.............
              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Dave told my mom that this was a one race deal for him. He would like to run more but needs the money to do that. The Brian Stewart racing team did have a bad weekend at Nashville with Urlin not liking the car at all so I bet it was the same for Dave.

Comment

"Well if you say so, but for someone regularly driving and at the front in another formula, these IPS times don't look like he is ready to jump into an IRL car just yet."

Dave has already shown me that he is capable of driving an IRL car IN AN IRL CAR!
                  Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by B/Mark
                    Well if you say so, but for someone regularly driving and at the front in another formula, these IPS times don't look like he is ready to jump into an IRL car just yet.

Session 1 Wood 176.304
                    Steele 171.584

Session 2 Wood 176.304
                    Steele 170.784

Qualifying Taylor 176.146
                    Steele 170.025

Final Practice Wood 174.901
                    Steele 170.310

Race - Finished 3 laps down
                    Fastest lap - Steele 168.437
                    Of race 176.433

If a driver is new to a circuit or car you expect him to improve with each outing - the above speeds show the reverse were happening with Steele, now everyone improves with practice, but this outing does not prove any evidence that he has the credentials to be a " top 3 finisher" in the IPS which some posting on this site think is a joke. Well if a top USAC pavement driver struggles this much perhaps the IPS isn't such a joke after all and Mr Yelley was wise perhaps not to take up the offer of a one off ride in the IPS as he may have got wupped!
                    I think you must be confusing the driver's finishes with the driver's talent. Without quality equipment, even the most talented driver won't win. I'm guessing that is the case wiyh Steele. If you've followed USAC racing, you would know what Steele can do with good equipment. Given equal equipment, Steele will be a front runner. No doubt about it!
                    "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Just to make sure what I said wasn't taken the wrong way - Brian Stewart's equipment is very well prepared. He runs a solid operation with good people working for him. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend that a driver take a ride with Brian.

The statement I was making was that even very well prepared equipment, like Matt Beardsley's at Michigan, is limited when the horsepower isn't there.
                      Dan Schlosser
                      Go fast, turn left !
                      www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
                      Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Originally posted by jrandrew00
                        He would like to run more but needs the money to do that.

Or... he could head down south & let the driving do the talking for him.

Will TG or the owners EVER get it?

Comment

Dave has run some stock car stuff in the past. But, I'd bet money we'll see him back running more Pro Series races in the future. It's something he WANTS to do, and something he is working to make happen.

I believe he's also on Panther's short list of people they will be testing this winter (for the 2nd car they desperately wish to run in '04).

And the boys down south aren't grabbing EVERY short tracker and giving them free rides. They want $$$$'s to make a ride happen also. It's currently a bit easier to find money for a stock car ride though.

That said finding money for ANY race car in ANY series is as tough as it's ever been from what I've been told.
                          We flipped our finger to the King of England
                          Stole our country from the Indians
                          With god on our side and guns in our hands
                          We took it for our own!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X