Clear All

• CrankShaft
    replied
    Andretti will be #18 for the Freedom.

Looks like 12 cars.

Leave a comment:

• drdisque
    replied
    while it would reduce the budget, having regional series with only 3 or 4 race weekends isn't nearly enough seat time for a developing young driver, even if they are triple headers.

Leave a comment:

• ndcrs
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
    The costs are all out of line for a developmental series..
    what would be ideal to you?

usf2000: $300k for 15 races/8weekends?
    pro2000: $600k for 16 races/9 weekends?
    indylights: $1.2m for 18 races/9 weekends?

maybe rti could take a regional approach using imsa type championships and have an east/west championship of a mini-series to create afforadability (west = portland, laguna, cota; east = st.p, barber, toronto ; midwest: mid-ohio, road america, indy gp). i know some would say this is an everyone gets a ribbon approach, but it's really a mechanism to create a different way to budget a team having cars on track for the full season.

thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Paff
    replied
    The costs are all out of line for a developmental series..

Leave a comment:

• jcolbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Glenn View Post

Cost of the new car and engine lease is a lot more than the old model. Especially the engine lease. And back in 2008, you could get used cars for fairly cheap and start racing on a pretty low budget. I'm not positive of the numbers, but I think a season in Lights with the old car cost a driver around $600K and now it's probably around $1.2 million.
    That $600k would have been at the very bottom of teams. I seem to recall hearing Schmidt was getting around 1.0-1.2 a season the last few seasons with the old car.

It is true that you could get the old cars dirt-cheap used about ten years ago. The problem was what it cost to operate them. I recall hearing around that time that Walker was looking to sell his only Lights car for like $30k. Only problem was it needed a corner put on it that was going to cost another $30k-40k to fix.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Wondered what changed where Lights was getting mid 20's car fields in 2008
    Cost of the new car and engine lease is a lot more than the old model. Especially the engine lease. And back in 2008, you could get used cars for fairly cheap and start racing on a pretty low budget. I'm not postive of the numbers, but I think a season in Lights with the old car cost a driver around $600K and now it's probably around $1.2 million.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Paff
    replied
    Wondered what changed where Lights was getting mid 20's car fields in 2008

Leave a comment:

• nospheratez
    replied
    No Falchero on the entry list of Indy road course races. Only 9 cars. Can't recall if #4 was supposed to run full-time or not.

Leave a comment:

• Glass Half Full
    replied
    Low double digits showing up for the Freedom 100, though a far cry from the numbers appearing just a few years ago, IS an improvement. I'm not sure we have enough data points yet to find a positive trend but I'm not complaining as it's an improvement from 2018.

Here's hoping for (and cautiously optimistic for) another exceptionally competitive and entertaining race!

Leave a comment:

• drdisque
    replied
    12 if Sowery is there, 11 if he isn't. I'm inclined to believe that Sowery won't be in the Freedom 100. Maybe if he wins one or both of the Indy GP rounds they'll roll the dice on keeping the full season alive (I don't know if he has any conflicts that outright prevent him from doing the full season, if he does, then definitely no Freedom 100).

Leave a comment:

• Chris Paff
    replied
    Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
    So what are we looking at for total number of entries for the Freedom 100?
    My count is 12

Leave a comment:

• Stick500
    replied
    So what are we looking at for total number of entries for the Freedom 100?

Leave a comment:

• nospheratez
    replied
    Well, it looks like we have two additional entries for this year's Freedom 100.

Jarett Andreyyi will race for Andretti Autosport.
    https://twitter.com/IndyLights/statu...88838376955905

While Chris Windom will join Belardi Auto Racing.
    https://twitter.com/IndyLights/statu...54012136599553

Leave a comment:

• Bezzen
    replied
    Originally posted by drdisque View Post

Yeah, but it's not like BOSS GP is full of hot shoes driving at ten-tenths. It's mostly a bunch of 45 year olds who haven't been in a real race in 20 years or in their entire lives.
    The point was about having previous experience driving powerful cars. He ran Dallara GP2's straight out of karting.

Leave a comment:

• dakinca
    replied
    Glad to see Sowery getting a drive for the weekend. Looked really impressive in St Pete.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X